Re: [FJGRailroad] Origin of Washout name

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2003
      A great bit of sleuthing. How did you discover the 1934 newspaper article?
      Thanks for this info.

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2003
        Figured there had to be some story behind the name so
        I went through the records on "floods" in the county
        archives in Fonda and found a copy of the newspaper
        article in one of the files.

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Stephen G. Myers
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2003
          i had brought up the question. I remembered reading the local history on
          Washout Road and the flood waters, i looked all over the house for the
          info but could not find it. Thanks Gerald!

          Steve Myers
          Vley Road
          Scotia

          .

        • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2003
            I found an article from the 12/16/34 issue of the
            > Knickerbocker Press which gives the history of the event under the
            > title of "Cloudburst of '85 Recalled by Schenectady Old Timers".
            > According to the story, the "cataclysmic demonstration of the
            > elements" occured at 4:30 PM on August 12th, 1885. >

            Wow, it's great to get the origin of the name!