Origin of Washout name

  • handyman756
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 5:02 AM
      A while back during the discussion on the Washout Road area someone
      posed the question as to whether the substation was there at the time
      of the "washout". I found an article from the 12/16/34 issue of the
      Knickerbocker Press which gives the history of the event under the
      title of "Cloudburst of '85 Recalled by Schenectady Old Timers".
      According to the story, the "cataclysmic demonstration of the
      elements" occured at 4:30 PM on August 12th, 1885. The localized
      storm "burst over an area six miles square", causing a tremendous
      amount of water to flow down the Arendt Kill (Walton's Creek)toward
      the Mohawk. The storm itself lasted less than an hour, but the
      debris it caused to flow down the creek completely blocked off the
      twin stone culvert carrying the creek under the NYC&HRR 4 track main
      line, causing it to collapse and the tracks to be left "hanging like
      a suspension bridge with the ties still attached over the flood" over
      a "grinning 65 to 75 foot chasm". The story goes on to describe the
      disruption of the rail service until a temporary trestle could be
      erected, with passengers in the meantime having to transfer from one
      train to another around the gap by transversing a boardwalk through
      the gap. The article notes that "when the Fonda, Johnstown, and
      Gloversville electric line to Schenectady was completed years later,
      it maintained a regular station in the former channel of the little
      stream and called it Washout." Since the F,J,& G line didn't go in
      until 1903, the substation would not have been there at the time
      this "catastrophe was launched on the earth."
    • Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3 8:07 AM
        A great bit of sleuthing. How did you discover the 1934 newspaper article?
        Thanks for this info.

        Malcolm Horton

        > A while back during the discussion on the Washout Road area someone
        > posed the question as to whether the substation was there at the time
        > of the "washout". I found an article from the 12/16/34 issue of the
        > Knickerbocker Press which gives the history of the event under the
        > title of "Cloudburst of '85 Recalled by Schenectady Old Timers".
        > According to the story, the "cataclysmic demonstration of the
        > elements" occured at 4:30 PM on August 12th, 1885. The localized
        > storm "burst over an area six miles square", causing a tremendous
        > amount of water to flow down the Arendt Kill (Walton's Creek)toward
        > the Mohawk. The storm itself lasted less than an hour, but the
        > debris it caused to flow down the creek completely blocked off the
        > twin stone culvert carrying the creek under the NYC&HRR 4 track main
        > line, causing it to collapse and the tracks to be left "hanging like
        > a suspension bridge with the ties still attached over the flood" over
        > a "grinning 65 to 75 foot chasm". The story goes on to describe the
        > disruption of the rail service until a temporary trestle could be
        > erected, with passengers in the meantime having to transfer from one
        > train to another around the gap by transversing a boardwalk through
        > the gap. The article notes that "when the Fonda, Johnstown, and
        > Gloversville electric line to Schenectady was completed years later,
        > it maintained a regular station in the former channel of the little
        > stream and called it Washout." Since the F,J,& G line didn't go in
        > until 1903, the substation would not have been there at the time
        > this "catastrophe was launched on the earth."
        >

        > Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com
        http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/

      • Gerald Snyder
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3 6:24 PM
          Figured there had to be some story behind the name so
          I went through the records on "floods" in the county
          archives in Fonda and found a copy of the newspaper
          article in one of the files.

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Stephen G. Myers
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4 4:59 PM
            i had brought up the question. I remembered reading the local history on
            Washout Road and the flood waters, i looked all over the house for the
            info but could not find it. Thanks Gerald!

            Steve Myers
            Vley Road
            Scotia

            .

          • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4 7:30 PM
              I found an article from the 12/16/34 issue of the
              > Knickerbocker Press which gives the history of the event under the
              > title of "Cloudburst of '85 Recalled by Schenectady Old Timers".
              > According to the story, the "cataclysmic demonstration of the
              > elements" occured at 4:30 PM on August 12th, 1885. >

              Wow, it's great to get the origin of the name!