Re: [FJGRailroad] AC&N, Washout Road

  • Stephen G. Myers
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2003
      Washout road is close to Vley Road where I live.

      Steve

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2003
        The tracks are the one's Amtrak uses, as opposed to those which cross the
        river and carry the main line of CSX to and from Selkirk. I don't know who
        owns them as CSX has the dragger and does and I think they do the signal
        work too. But if I recall correctly it was Amtrak that re tied the line a
        short while back.

        Look for "Microsoft TerraServer Imagery" to access the satellite images. I
        haven't looked at the photo yet so can't identify which it is, but it isn't
        very large. Washout road apperars to have been the location ofthe station
        called Urban, mile 26.57. Hoffmans was 23.18; the next station was Rectors
        27.23; the B&M bridge at Rte. 50 was mile 31.02. When you leave the divided
        highway heading east (Rte. 5) awtch for a side road on the north side and
        you'll see the NYC overpass that's the only railway overpass in that area,
        so that will be Washout Road. Stone Arabia road is the first road west of
        Washout and Rectors Road is the first east, both grade crossings. The
        firehouse is east of Rectors so if you see that you have gone too far. If
        you come to the new bridge to the Thruway you are again too far east but at
        the point where the ROW again can be followed going east. Between Vlaie
        Road and Washout road the former ROW is covered by the highway.

        PKL

      • handyman756
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 19, 2003
          The site I used to pull up the satellite photos is
          http://terraserver.microsoft.com The picture with the E-mail is
          actually five "tiles" I stitched together - when you get the map
          display it's actually made up of several smaller individual tiles
          that you have to save one at a time. The images are pretty dark on
          the site so it helps to save them and then adjust the brigntness and
          conrtast as well as bring up the sharpness to get the details. If
          you don't have the software to do that let me know what area you want
          and I'll assemble it for you.

          Route 5 going east from Amsterdam is four lane all the way to the new
          890 bridge (over to T'way Exit 26). The first traffic light you hit
          after leaving Amsterdam will be where State 103 comes across the
          Mohawk from Rotterdam Junction (shortest paved state highway in NY)
          on the right. There's a Stewart's store right there on the left.
          Paul is right about Stone Arabia Road being the first left after
          this. Washout Road is the next left. The next road to the east of
          Washout is Gower, however, not Rectors - Rectors is the next one
          toward Scotia. Gower Road has a single lane concrete arch overpass
          carrying Amtrak over it.

          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>

        • Malcolm Horton
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2003
            The Gazette newspaper article, which was written by Norman "Pink" Wurz,
            listed the stations from Amsterdam to Schenectady as: DeGraff, Truax,
            Teller, Schiller, Lock 10, Cranesville, Swart Hill, Sanitarium, Waterhouse,
            Tourena, Hoffman, Van Eps, Johnson, Lock 9, Reynolds, Substation, Urban,
            Birches, Rectors, Larrabee, Halfway, Wyatt, Hutchinson, Bryant, Pine,
            Hardins, Carpenter, Tower Nine, Wilmarth, Scotia, Sand Bank, and
            Schenectady.

            Note that "Substation" is on the west side of Urban. It probably didn't show
            on any timetables because only the operators needed to get off there.

            Malcolm Horton