Fw: Fw: [FJGRailroad] Amsterdam Street Railway

  • LeeDarshi Morelli
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2003
      Gerald,

      What is the AC&N? I just read a over a hundred e-mails (my pc died recently and the only way I could fix it was to format my hard drive) to catch up.

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2003
        I don't know a lot about it. The Amsterdam, Chuctenunda, and
        Northern ran from just east of Amsterdam to the upper carpet mills,
        the mills along Willow Street, and the K&M Linseed oil plant on
        Church Street. There's still a line up to the Fiberglass Industries
        plant and industrial park on Edson Street, but everything else is
        gone. Not sure who owns it or what it's called today.

        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "LeeDarshi Morelli"

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2003
          It's funny, I went looking for the remaining AC&N (CSX Kellogg Branch)
          this winter and the day I go, there's a derailed Conrail caboose on
          the line! Took some slides too! It's got quite a steep grade going
          up to the Fiberglass plant. Uncle Lee, if you come up Route 5 from
          Schenectady, there is a rail overpass right before Amsterdam. That is
          where the original AC&N left the New York Central and went up to the mills
          in Amsterdam. I remember deliveries being made to the Coleco plant in
          Amsterdam and it was quite hectic when the train passed through the 5 points
          section. That is where Route 67 passes through and there is a crazy
          intersection. The AC&N used to split right in that intersection
          where it would got to the different mills. There used to be a big
          coal trestle up Forest Ave that was taken down in the early 90's!
          A lot of great places to photo, but I never got around to taking any!

          http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/