AC POWER FREQUENCY FOR FJ&G TROLLEYS

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16 5:22 PM
      To All:

      Today I visited the Elfun Hall of History at the Schenectady Museum. They have all (over a million) GE negatives taken over the past century. They had external and internal pictures of the Inghams Mills Hydroelectric plant taken in 1912 when the plant was built. Apparently it had all GE machinery. In addition to the two main turbine driven generators there was also a frequency changing motor-generator set. While the ratings of this M-G set were not given, it looked to be big enough to serve the whole FJ&G load.

      I believe that this is circumstantial evidence enough to say that the Inghams Mill Hydroelectric Plant supplied 25 cycles per second AC power to the FJ&G to run their AC to DC converters. The 1903 FJ&G Tribes Hill steam powered 25 cycles per second plant could then be put on standby service to serve the railroad only when Inghams had insufficient water (typically in the fall of the year) or needed maintenance. This probably saved the railroad a lot  of money.

      In 1931-1932, new 60 cycles per second automatic substations were installed on the FJ&G and the old 25 CPS equipment was retired. 60 CPS power could then be purchased from the power company grid which was then in existence. Thereafter, Tribes Hill 25 CPS generated power could not be used, even on a standby basic, but the utility grid was then highly reliable (a large steam generating plant was then in service, on the Mohawk, just below Amsterdam) and there were a mutiplicity of large hydroelectric plants operating on the grid.

      I am still looking for the exact rating of the frequency changing M-G set installed at Inghams in 1912. Can anyone of you help with this?

      Malcolm Horton