RE: Fort Orange paper

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2003
      Well actually there were several dynamics going on that you ought to be
      aware of.

      First of all Coleco (remember thier computer fiasco) sold the Broadalbin and
      Amsterdam assets to SLM who brought in covered hoppers of pelletized
      plastics. SLM went into bankruptcy and DO found they could supply SLM with
      trucks from a transloading facility right in front of the Utica Office. Much
      more cost effective than maintaining twenty odd miles of railroad. One
      contract driver with a tractor and NYSW leased trailer equipment.

      Second the Leader Herald stopped getting thier paper by rail and switched to
      trucks.

      Third the Tanneries began to buy hides from South America rather than Texas.
      The Texans shipped by rail the South Americans by container which went on a
      ship and rather than transload into a boxcar (And there were no container
      cranes on the FJ&G)that traffic went by truck. Besides the Tanneries were on
      the long slippery slide to oblivion anyway.

      I think Walter was very patient or very busy (Building the NYS&W) and let
      the FJ&G lay dormant for ten years before he began to get rid of the
      remaining FJ&G assets
      I cross poseted this to the FJ&G list to get the folks on that list to
      correct me where I may have been wrong...or incomplete