End Of The Line

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2003
      In October of 1988, the Rome Locomotive works was contracted to remove as
      many
      cars as possible from the FJ&G. The cars that could make the trip were
      removed, the
      once that couldn't were scrapped on the spot by Verklier Salvage of
      Mayfield.

      This removal of cars is not to be confused with the last run which was made
      by DO/FJG 103
      in November of 1984 by Mark Wilber and Mike Yerina. Here is an account by
      an employee
      Doug Ellison of the Rome Locomotive works. I'll post some pictures soon of
      the removal of cars.
      This was done by a trackmobile, not locomotive. The last run by locomotive
      was definitely done
      in November of 1984...

      Gino

      Here is the recollection by Doug. He was employed at Rome Locomotive at
      the time and they were contracted to remove the remaining equipment that
      was on the FJG.

      Tim Wakeman

      Doug Ellison here

      Took the plow down with a trackmobile along with all those old stored
      box cars that were left all over. I recall working all over Gloversville
      on almost all sidings getting those skin cars moveable. There was also a
      lot of them in the woods out towards Broadalbin. I recall hauling bucket
      after bucket of journal oil along that long cut.

      The cars went down to Fonda and we ran them right into the Conrail yard.
      There was a trainmaster, I think his name was Dumar who was really helpful.
      I recall he lived just west of Fonda between Route 5 and the mainline.

      That last trip down the hill we had 4-5 boxcars and the plow on the end.
      The plow leaked bad and the little compressor couldn't keep up. He came
      down towards Commons Road at 35-40 mph. The ride in that plow was
      indescribable !!! Thank Walter for that welded rail !!!!

      Regards,

      Doug
    • Stephen G. Myers
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
        Roy Dumar was the Conrail trainmaster out of South Schenectady who helped
        out. He had taken some polaroid shots of the last FJ&G run. He lived in
        Fonda.

        Steve

        .