RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
      I am on two other lists a swell as the FJ&G. They have all been vetry quiet!

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
        I forgot what I asked you now Mark! What's getting shut down?

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
          Joe,

          I'd figure that this time of year the list would be busy! We're
          cramped up in the house and have nothing better to do! It would
          make more sense to me if quieted down in the spring and summer!

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
            Oh, did you mean the NYSW group was going to be shut down for
            adjustments? Oh, good idea! Maybe the FJG group should be shut
            down next! It could use an adjustment or two!

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 14, 2003
              I was told that yahoogroups was just making adjustments between the
              hours of 700pm to 800pm the other night. Mark
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 15, 2003
                I believe LCL had been handled on the railroad from day one. THe service
                commenced on Nov. 16, 1936 was "free" pick up and delivery of LCL by the
                FJ&G. The FJ&G and other eastern railroads had attempted to institute this
                service earlier but were repeatedly denied by the ICC. Burton Allen provide
                the service for the railroad in Gloversville and O'Neil Trucking Company did
                the same for them in Johnstown.

                Way cars and LCL were a fact of business in the days before paved roads and
                internal combustion engines. The records destroyed freight following the
                several freight house fires indicates the extent the railroad affected every
                aspect of the communities commercial life.

                Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in Gloversville
                and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed prior to 1964.
                Haven't the time to look it up right now.

                PKL

                >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions
                >Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:02:21 -0000
                >
                >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "stevefjg20" <stevejamie1@j...>
                >wrote:
                >Was the FJ&G still receiveing LCL shipments in the freight house in
                >Gloversville and Johnstown?And were they still doing buissness with
                >REA in the 1950's the other question was also in the 50's.
                >
                >Steve,
                >
                >The FJ&G started LCL freight on November 16, 1936 and terminated it
                >on October 1, 1964, when the NYC stopped accepting it.
                >
                >REA service was discontinued on July 18, 1960 when REA started using
                >its own trucks.
                >
                >Walt
                >Hope this helps.

              • Walt Danylak
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 17, 2003
                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                  wrote:
                  ... Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in
                  Gloversville and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed
                  prior to 1964. Haven't the time to look it up right now.

                  Paul,

                  The date came from the 1964 Annual Report. The Johnstown Freighthouse
                  was closed on December 31, 1960 and all LCL freight was handeled at
                  the Gloversville Freighthouse. I know that the Gloversville
                  Freighthouse was closed at some point after 1960, but it is never
                  mentioned as being closed in the Annual Reports.

                  Walt
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 17, 2003
                    While cleaning out a corner of the attic I found the Railway Express Sign
                    that came out of Gloversville. Itys got to be 50 years old and in nearly
                    mint condition. What a beautiful enamel paint too....

                    >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                    >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: LCL
                    >Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:43:35 -0000
                    >
                    >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                    >wrote:
                    >... Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in
                    >Gloversville and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed
                    >prior to 1964. Haven't the time to look it up right now.
                    >
                    >Paul,
                    >
                    >The date came from the 1964 Annual Report. The Johnstown Freighthouse
                    >was closed on December 31, 1960 and all LCL freight was handeled at
                    >the Gloversville Freighthouse. I know that the Gloversville
                    >Freighthouse was closed at some point after 1960, but it is never
                    >mentioned as being closed in the Annual Reports.
                    >
                    >Walt

                  • Carl Nellis
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 19, 2003
                      Hey Gang,
                      For what it's worth there wasn't any snow in Southern Arizona when I left
                      Friday - it was 80. Spending this week looking for railroads in the Virgin
                      Islands - not finding any but I'll keep trying. No snow here either.

                      >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                      >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions
                      >Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:46:12 -0600
                      >
                      >Joe,
                      >
                      >I'd figure that this time of year the list would be busy! We're
                      >cramped up in the house and have nothing better to do! It would
                      >make more sense to me if quieted down in the spring and summer!
                      >
                      >Gino

                    • Glenn J. Williams
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 20, 2003
                        --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Nellis" <Nellis_CW@h...>
                        wrote:
                        > Hey Gang,
                        > For what it's worth there wasn't
                        > any snow in Southern Arizona when
                        > I left Friday - it was 80.
                        > Spending this week looking for
                        > railroads in the Virgin Islands -
                        > not finding any but I'll keep trying.
                        > No snow here either.

                        The first person who sees Carl gets to hit him for the rest of us
                        snow-weary gents.

                        Glenn
                        (still up to his
                        fetlocks in snow)
                      • Dick Ryall
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 20, 2003
                          Sorry guys there ain`t no snow here in Idaho either altho the temprature
                          is only 48 degrees now.

                          "Glenn J. Williams" wrote:

                          > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Nellis" <Nellis_CW@h...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > Hey Gang,
                          > > For what it's worth there wasn't
                          > > any snow in Southern Arizona when
                          > > I left Friday - it was 80.
                          > > Spending this week looking for
                          > > railroads in the Virgin Islands -
                          > > not finding any but I'll keep trying.
                          > > No snow here either.
                          >
                          > The first person who sees Carl gets to hit him for the rest of us
                          > snow-weary gents.
                          >
                          > Glenn
                          > (still up to his
                          > fetlocks in snow)
                          >

                          > Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com
                          > Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/

                        • LeeDarshi Morelli
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 16, 2003
                            What is LCL?
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 16, 2003
                              --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "LeeDarshi Morelli"
                              <LeeDarshi@M...> wrote:
                              > What is LCL?

                              Lee,

                              LCL stands for "Less than Car Load," where someone's freight shipment
                              takes up less than a full freight car. This business was lost to the
                              truck shippers and (I may be wrong here) was a loss leader for the
                              railroads.

                              Glenn