RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 12, 2003
      You didn't do anything Steve! My point is that this list has been
      very quiet!!! It's like THE LIST has shut down! There has been a
      few comments lately that I thought would generate some discussion,
      but nada!!! Maybe everyone is hibernating and we'll have to wait
      'till Spring to hear something!

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
        Gino-On the NYSW yahoogroup,we were notified yesterday morning that it
        was going to be shut down for adjustments. Mark
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
          I am on two other lists a swell as the FJ&G. They have all been vetry quiet!

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
            I forgot what I asked you now Mark! What's getting shut down?

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
              Joe,

              I'd figure that this time of year the list would be busy! We're
              cramped up in the house and have nothing better to do! It would
              make more sense to me if quieted down in the spring and summer!

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
                Oh, did you mean the NYSW group was going to be shut down for
                adjustments? Oh, good idea! Maybe the FJG group should be shut
                down next! It could use an adjustment or two!

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 14, 2003
                  I was told that yahoogroups was just making adjustments between the
                  hours of 700pm to 800pm the other night. Mark
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 15, 2003
                    I believe LCL had been handled on the railroad from day one. THe service
                    commenced on Nov. 16, 1936 was "free" pick up and delivery of LCL by the
                    FJ&G. The FJ&G and other eastern railroads had attempted to institute this
                    service earlier but were repeatedly denied by the ICC. Burton Allen provide
                    the service for the railroad in Gloversville and O'Neil Trucking Company did
                    the same for them in Johnstown.

                    Way cars and LCL were a fact of business in the days before paved roads and
                    internal combustion engines. The records destroyed freight following the
                    several freight house fires indicates the extent the railroad affected every
                    aspect of the communities commercial life.

                    Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in Gloversville
                    and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed prior to 1964.
                    Haven't the time to look it up right now.

                    PKL

                    >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                    >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions
                    >Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:02:21 -0000
                    >
                    >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "stevefjg20" <stevejamie1@j...>
                    >wrote:
                    >Was the FJ&G still receiveing LCL shipments in the freight house in
                    >Gloversville and Johnstown?And were they still doing buissness with
                    >REA in the 1950's the other question was also in the 50's.
                    >
                    >Steve,
                    >
                    >The FJ&G started LCL freight on November 16, 1936 and terminated it
                    >on October 1, 1964, when the NYC stopped accepting it.
                    >
                    >REA service was discontinued on July 18, 1960 when REA started using
                    >its own trucks.
                    >
                    >Walt
                    >Hope this helps.

                  • Walt Danylak
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 17, 2003
                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                      wrote:
                      ... Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in
                      Gloversville and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed
                      prior to 1964. Haven't the time to look it up right now.

                      Paul,

                      The date came from the 1964 Annual Report. The Johnstown Freighthouse
                      was closed on December 31, 1960 and all LCL freight was handeled at
                      the Gloversville Freighthouse. I know that the Gloversville
                      Freighthouse was closed at some point after 1960, but it is never
                      mentioned as being closed in the Annual Reports.

                      Walt
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 17, 2003
                        While cleaning out a corner of the attic I found the Railway Express Sign
                        that came out of Gloversville. Itys got to be 50 years old and in nearly
                        mint condition. What a beautiful enamel paint too....

                        >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: LCL
                        >Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:43:35 -0000
                        >
                        >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                        >wrote:
                        >... Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in
                        >Gloversville and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed
                        >prior to 1964. Haven't the time to look it up right now.
                        >
                        >Paul,
                        >
                        >The date came from the 1964 Annual Report. The Johnstown Freighthouse
                        >was closed on December 31, 1960 and all LCL freight was handeled at
                        >the Gloversville Freighthouse. I know that the Gloversville
                        >Freighthouse was closed at some point after 1960, but it is never
                        >mentioned as being closed in the Annual Reports.
                        >
                        >Walt

                      • Carl Nellis
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 19, 2003
                          Hey Gang,
                          For what it's worth there wasn't any snow in Southern Arizona when I left
                          Friday - it was 80. Spending this week looking for railroads in the Virgin
                          Islands - not finding any but I'll keep trying. No snow here either.

                          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                          >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions
                          >Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:46:12 -0600
                          >
                          >Joe,
                          >
                          >I'd figure that this time of year the list would be busy! We're
                          >cramped up in the house and have nothing better to do! It would
                          >make more sense to me if quieted down in the spring and summer!
                          >
                          >Gino

                        • Glenn J. Williams
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 20, 2003
                            --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Nellis" <Nellis_CW@h...>
                            wrote:
                            > Hey Gang,
                            > For what it's worth there wasn't
                            > any snow in Southern Arizona when
                            > I left Friday - it was 80.
                            > Spending this week looking for
                            > railroads in the Virgin Islands -
                            > not finding any but I'll keep trying.
                            > No snow here either.

                            The first person who sees Carl gets to hit him for the rest of us
                            snow-weary gents.

                            Glenn
                            (still up to his
                            fetlocks in snow)
                          • Dick Ryall
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 20, 2003
                              Sorry guys there ain`t no snow here in Idaho either altho the temprature
                              is only 48 degrees now.

                              "Glenn J. Williams" wrote:

                              > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Nellis" <Nellis_CW@h...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > Hey Gang,
                              > > For what it's worth there wasn't
                              > > any snow in Southern Arizona when
                              > > I left Friday - it was 80.
                              > > Spending this week looking for
                              > > railroads in the Virgin Islands -
                              > > not finding any but I'll keep trying.
                              > > No snow here either.
                              >
                              > The first person who sees Carl gets to hit him for the rest of us
                              > snow-weary gents.
                              >
                              > Glenn
                              > (still up to his
                              > fetlocks in snow)
                              >

                              > Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com
                              > Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/

                            • LeeDarshi Morelli
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 16, 2003
                                What is LCL?
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 16, 2003
                                  --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "LeeDarshi Morelli"
                                  <LeeDarshi@M...> wrote:
                                  > What is LCL?

                                  Lee,

                                  LCL stands for "Less than Car Load," where someone's freight shipment
                                  takes up less than a full freight car. This business was lost to the
                                  truck shippers and (I may be wrong here) was a loss leader for the
                                  railroads.

                                  Glenn