Re: More freight house questions

  • Glenn J. Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 12, 2003
      <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
      > [snip]
      > Don't quote me, but I believe
      > that the FJ&G was doing Railroad
      > Express business into the 50's.
      > There are pictures of REA trucks
      > in Gloversville in the 50's.
      > Hope someone responds with a
      > definite answer...
      >
      > Gino

      Gino & Steve,

      Yup, the FJ&G was indeed doing REA business in the 50s.

      Glenn
    • stevefjg20
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 12, 2003
        NOOOOOOOOOOO I didn't do it it was somebody else please don't shut me
        down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you Gino and Glen that was very nice of
        you to answer my Questions.Like i said it wasen't me and i'll do
        anything to get back in the good graces of the list i'll even show up
        to the metting this month any body want some FJ&G S-2's like i said
        anything!!NA not the s-2's maybe some boxcars or something anyway
        have a wonderfull night.

        Your Humble fellow FJ&G fan

        Steve

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 12, 2003
          You didn't do anything Steve! My point is that this list has been
          very quiet!!! It's like THE LIST has shut down! There has been a
          few comments lately that I thought would generate some discussion,
          but nada!!! Maybe everyone is hibernating and we'll have to wait
          'till Spring to hear something!

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
            Gino-On the NYSW yahoogroup,we were notified yesterday morning that it
            was going to be shut down for adjustments. Mark
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
              I am on two other lists a swell as the FJ&G. They have all been vetry quiet!

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
                I forgot what I asked you now Mark! What's getting shut down?

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
                  Joe,

                  I'd figure that this time of year the list would be busy! We're
                  cramped up in the house and have nothing better to do! It would
                  make more sense to me if quieted down in the spring and summer!

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 13, 2003
                    Oh, did you mean the NYSW group was going to be shut down for
                    adjustments? Oh, good idea! Maybe the FJG group should be shut
                    down next! It could use an adjustment or two!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 14, 2003
                      I was told that yahoogroups was just making adjustments between the
                      hours of 700pm to 800pm the other night. Mark
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 15, 2003
                        I believe LCL had been handled on the railroad from day one. THe service
                        commenced on Nov. 16, 1936 was "free" pick up and delivery of LCL by the
                        FJ&G. The FJ&G and other eastern railroads had attempted to institute this
                        service earlier but were repeatedly denied by the ICC. Burton Allen provide
                        the service for the railroad in Gloversville and O'Neil Trucking Company did
                        the same for them in Johnstown.

                        Way cars and LCL were a fact of business in the days before paved roads and
                        internal combustion engines. The records destroyed freight following the
                        several freight house fires indicates the extent the railroad affected every
                        aspect of the communities commercial life.

                        Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in Gloversville
                        and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed prior to 1964.
                        Haven't the time to look it up right now.

                        PKL

                        >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions
                        >Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:02:21 -0000
                        >
                        >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "stevefjg20" <stevejamie1@j...>
                        >wrote:
                        >Was the FJ&G still receiveing LCL shipments in the freight house in
                        >Gloversville and Johnstown?And were they still doing buissness with
                        >REA in the 1950's the other question was also in the 50's.
                        >
                        >Steve,
                        >
                        >The FJ&G started LCL freight on November 16, 1936 and terminated it
                        >on October 1, 1964, when the NYC stopped accepting it.
                        >
                        >REA service was discontinued on July 18, 1960 when REA started using
                        >its own trucks.
                        >
                        >Walt
                        >Hope this helps.

                      • Walt Danylak
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 17, 2003
                          --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                          wrote:
                          ... Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in
                          Gloversville and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed
                          prior to 1964. Haven't the time to look it up right now.

                          Paul,

                          The date came from the 1964 Annual Report. The Johnstown Freighthouse
                          was closed on December 31, 1960 and all LCL freight was handeled at
                          the Gloversville Freighthouse. I know that the Gloversville
                          Freighthouse was closed at some point after 1960, but it is never
                          mentioned as being closed in the Annual Reports.

                          Walt
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 17, 2003
                            While cleaning out a corner of the attic I found the Railway Express Sign
                            that came out of Gloversville. Itys got to be 50 years old and in nearly
                            mint condition. What a beautiful enamel paint too....

                            >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: LCL
                            >Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 19:43:35 -0000
                            >
                            >--- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "paul larner" <pklarner@h...>
                            >wrote:
                            >... Walt are you sure on the date for closing the LCL business in
                            >Gloversville and Johnstown? I believe both freight houses were closed
                            >prior to 1964. Haven't the time to look it up right now.
                            >
                            >Paul,
                            >
                            >The date came from the 1964 Annual Report. The Johnstown Freighthouse
                            >was closed on December 31, 1960 and all LCL freight was handeled at
                            >the Gloversville Freighthouse. I know that the Gloversville
                            >Freighthouse was closed at some point after 1960, but it is never
                            >mentioned as being closed in the Annual Reports.
                            >
                            >Walt

                          • Carl Nellis
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 19, 2003
                              Hey Gang,
                              For what it's worth there wasn't any snow in Southern Arizona when I left
                              Friday - it was 80. Spending this week looking for railroads in the Virgin
                              Islands - not finding any but I'll keep trying. No snow here either.

                              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                              >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: More freight house questions
                              >Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:46:12 -0600
                              >
                              >Joe,
                              >
                              >I'd figure that this time of year the list would be busy! We're
                              >cramped up in the house and have nothing better to do! It would
                              >make more sense to me if quieted down in the spring and summer!
                              >
                              >Gino

                            • Glenn J. Williams
                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 20, 2003
                                --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Nellis" <Nellis_CW@h...>
                                wrote:
                                > Hey Gang,
                                > For what it's worth there wasn't
                                > any snow in Southern Arizona when
                                > I left Friday - it was 80.
                                > Spending this week looking for
                                > railroads in the Virgin Islands -
                                > not finding any but I'll keep trying.
                                > No snow here either.

                                The first person who sees Carl gets to hit him for the rest of us
                                snow-weary gents.

                                Glenn
                                (still up to his
                                fetlocks in snow)
                              • Dick Ryall
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 20, 2003
                                  Sorry guys there ain`t no snow here in Idaho either altho the temprature
                                  is only 48 degrees now.

                                  "Glenn J. Williams" wrote:

                                  > --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Nellis" <Nellis_CW@h...>
                                  > wrote:
                                  > > Hey Gang,
                                  > > For what it's worth there wasn't
                                  > > any snow in Southern Arizona when
                                  > > I left Friday - it was 80.
                                  > > Spending this week looking for
                                  > > railroads in the Virgin Islands -
                                  > > not finding any but I'll keep trying.
                                  > > No snow here either.
                                  >
                                  > The first person who sees Carl gets to hit him for the rest of us
                                  > snow-weary gents.
                                  >
                                  > Glenn
                                  > (still up to his
                                  > fetlocks in snow)
                                  >

                                  > Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com
                                  > Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation at http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/

                                • LeeDarshi Morelli
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 16, 2003
                                    What is LCL?
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 16, 2003
                                      --- In FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com, "LeeDarshi Morelli"
                                      <LeeDarshi@M...> wrote:
                                      > What is LCL?

                                      Lee,

                                      LCL stands for "Less than Car Load," where someone's freight shipment
                                      takes up less than a full freight car. This business was lost to the
                                      truck shippers and (I may be wrong here) was a loss leader for the
                                      railroads.

                                      Glenn