FJ&G Employee named Schamberger

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
      When I was a kid growing up in Gloversville, there was a man named Schamberger who would drive about in an open, buggy style, Knox car. It had an air horn, operated by squeezing a rubber bulb, which was quite melodius. He blew it very often as he put-putted along. I believe that my dad said that Schamberger worked for the FJ&G railroad.

      While I was in college (circa 1943), a good friend named Anthony Sommella phoned me that his father had purchased the car for junking purposes. I went over to see it. It was in fully restorable condition and Mr. Sommella offered it to me for $ 100. I was struggling to get enough money to finish my college education (tuition was then $ 400 per year) so I couldn't afford the $ 100. The car was subsequently junked. It had a cast bronze transmission case and differential case and the body was aluminum. The junk value exceeded his $ 100 asking price.

      Do any of you know the full name of the Mr. Schamberger who originally owned the beautiful old Knox automobile and who worked for the FJ&G?

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 27, 2003
        Malcolm,

        Ludwig Schamberger was the manager of the Railway Express Agency in
        Gloversville.

        PKL

        >From: "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@...>
        >To: "FJ&G Yahoogroups" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Employee named Schamberger
        >Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:42:25 -0500
        >
        >When I was a kid growing up in Gloversville, there was a man named
        >Schamberger who would drive about in an open, buggy style, Knox car. It had
        >an air horn, operated by squeezing a rubber bulb, which was quite melodius.
        >He blew it very often as he put-putted along. I believe that my dad said
        >that Schamberger worked for the FJ&G railroad.
        >
        >While I was in college (circa 1943), a good friend named Anthony Sommella
        >phoned me that his father had purchased the car for junking purposes. I
        >went over to see it. It was in fully restorable condition and Mr. Sommella
        >offered it to me for $ 100. I was struggling to get enough money to finish
        >my college education (tuition was then $ 400 per year) so I couldn't afford
        >the $ 100. The car was subsequently junked. It had a cast bronze
        >transmission case and differential case and the body was aluminum. The junk
        >value exceeded his $ 100 asking price.
        >
        >Do any of you know the full name of the Mr. Schamberger who originally
        >owned the beautiful old Knox automobile and who worked for the FJ&G?
        >
        >Malcolm Horton

      • Malcolm Horton
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003
          Paul,

          Thank you for the info on Schamburger. He also owned the big field, behind
          the houses, encircled by Kingsboro Ave., Third Ave., Helwig St. and Fifth
          Ave. It had an access road on Fifth. Ave. where Schamburger owned a barn
          where he kept the Knox automobile.

          Malcolm Horton

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003
            Malcolm,

            When I was a kid we played in that field and would go over there to slide on
            the hill in the winter. Interesting to find out who owned it.