Snowmobiles

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
      Mark can probable help me here...

      Mark,

      When I used to walk the FJG there were rails planted in the ROW that were
      about the height
      of the rail and I was told it was to stop snowmobiles. I thing they were
      even protected by
      flanger markers. Do you remember if anyone ever complained of damage to
      their snow machines
      from hitting them? I know some people who hit them and hurt their sleds.
      They weren't too
      happy, but knew they were trespassing on FJG property...

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2003
        Gino,

        Old pieces of rail were sunk about three feet deep to mark the center of the
        right of way. Obviously this would generally be in the center of the guage.
        They were put in by the surveyor teams when the right of way was plotted.
        They had a tendency to creep up and had to be pounded down every so often as
        part of regular maintenance. Perhaps these are what you have seen. Look at
        the chart and you may see their locations. Where the line come out from the
        center of the ROW with chainage numbers are the likely locations of each
        marker. Those points, indicating the beginnings and endings of the curves
        both vertical and horizontal, were used to make the maps and profiles.

        PKL

      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2003
          Gino-Thats the same thing I was told that Paul stated. They probably
          were put in before the invention of a snowmobile. Eventually, they were
          removed.I remember hitting them with the snow plow. Mark
        • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2003
            > Gino,
            >
            > Old pieces of rail were sunk about three feet deep to mark the center of the
            > right of way. Obviously this would generally be in the center of the guage.
            > They were put in by the surveyor teams when the right of way was plotted.
            > They had a tendency to creep up and had to be pounded down every so often as
            > part of regular maintenance. Perhaps these are what you have seen. Look at
            > the chart and you may see their locations. Where the line come out from the
            > center of the ROW with chainage numbers are the likely locations of each
            > marker. Those points, indicating the beginnings and endings of the curves
            > both vertical and horizontal, were used to make the maps and profiles.
            >
            > PKL

            Those are exactly what I was talking about! Someone told me they were to
            Keep the snowmobiles off the ROW! Now I know what they are for! They did
            Manage to catch the bottom of some sleds though...