Re: [FJGRailroad] From The Archives

  • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 87 , Mar 4, 2003
      > Yes its time again for "From the Archives" that come as you please odd bit
      > of railroad trivia that keeps them asking, "Where'd he get that". It occurs
      > to me as I look around the archives that although I am a railfan, I have
      > managed to acquire a fair amount of trolley material. Heck I have even been
      > known to stare at rolling cranes that operate on rails in the pavement!
      >
      > Once again I have elected to post this to both the D&H and Hudson River
      > lists and added the FJ&G list because there will be something of interest
      > for that list too! There must be some of you out there who have trolley
      > memorabilia related to the D&H (Hudson Valley Lines) and the trolley lines
      > in the lower Hudson Valley. The FJ&G list is full of trolley stuff because
      > of that company's involvement in operating trolleys and interurbans. Perhaps
      > this will prompt someone to penn a few lines.....excuse me we are in the
      > 21st century, bang a few keys about thier knowledge of the trolleys in thier
      > area.
      >
      > Lets start off with the thing that prompted this all...I came into
      > possession today of a uniform button...Yonkers RR CO. It is well worn with
      > YONKERS in a semicircle on the top and R.R. CO. in a curve around the
      > bottom. In the center is a Y with a c wrapped around the stem of the Y and
      > two capital Rs on either side of the Y.
      >
      > So I started looking through the archives and discovered that I have a
      > complete set of Public Service Railway buttons. So I began to look harder. I
      > have two "Interurban/Trolley " lanterns, one from the Utica & Mohawk Valley
      > Railway and the other from the Pacific Electric. Anybody got a lantern from
      > another trolley/Interurban operation ? Both of mine are marked on the frame
      > and the globe.
      >

      > So what other trolley memorabilia do I have? Well I set about looking (It
      > has been over three hours since I started looking) and I turned up a
      > Schenectady Railways Hudson Mohawk Valleys Trolley Trip booklet that also
      > mentions the FJ&G. I also discovered a Schenectady Railways Troy Line
      > schedule on a yellow 8 1/2 x 11 single sheet.
      >
      > I mentioned the FJ&G list. Hmmm lets look west, I have two Bamberger
      > Electric Railroad timetables. A true interurban operating out ofSalt Lake
      > City. Okay whats THAT got to do with Trolleys in the Hudson or Mohawk
      > Valleys. Hah ! Gottcha.. FJ&G fans will tell you that the Brill Bullet cars
      > were sold to the Bamberger when the FJ&G was downsizing. ( I can probably
      > tie the railways of Japan to this list if I think about it long enough).
      >
      > I also have some timetables from the Pacific Electric and quite a few from
      > the FJ&G.
      >
      > SOOOoooooo..... lets see what else we have in the archives..Lets see there
      > are quite a few tokens: the Binghamton Railway Company, the International
      > Railway in Buffalo, the Connecticut Company the Hudson Transportation
      > Company, Lehigh valley Transit, Kingston City Transportation Company, United
> [...]

      Sounds good to me Joe! I love to hear about former trolley lines! I've
      always been interested in Public Transportation. This area is great because
      It has had a ton of local lines! Speaking of which, if you travel over
      Route 29 in Schuylerville, you get a double treat. First, the winter has
      Crumbled the roadway and the old cobblestone is showing through. The best
      Part is that it is revealing the Hudson Valley Electric tracks. Sometime,
      This is my favorite part of the year, just because we get to see the old
      Trolley ROWs showing through...

      Message 87 of 87 , Mar 24, 2009
        My kids said, "Dad are you going to have a fire tonight? It is spring! Yes but it will be cold tonight" I replied.

        And with that, while rummaging around the archives, I found a copy of PC RAILROADER July-August 1975. On page 4 there is a photo of FJG 153998 with the following caption, "The Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville located off the Mohawk Division in Amsterdam, New York acquired 100 40' and 138 50' box cars from Penn Central. photo by the editor - Joe Klapkowski

        I know the caption is inaccurate. I did not write it.  This was way before the days of the internet and common information. To have a by- line back then at the ripe old age of 15 was, well, pretty cool.

        Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier. Download FREE now!