Re: [FJGRailroad] Weeds and Brush

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2 9:33 PM
      I'll throw this out as it was given to me... I always thought the clean
      roadbeds of the steam days were the result of ample low priced manpower. I
      know the FJ&G had hand tools that you would use to weed the ballast (cinders
      for the most part and sand and poor gravel) not unlike hoeing a garden.
      Other roads used diskers, which were pulled behind a motor source and turned
      the outside ballast and helped keep a well dressed road bed. A friend of
      mine says it was largely due to the acidy character the soil took on from
      being exposed to coal soot and cinders that kept the weeds down. Sounds
      plausible but I had never heard that before. Any comments?

      PKL

      >From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Weeds and Brush
      >Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 03:41:07 -0000
      >
      >As I look at the ICC photos it seems as if the railroad must have had
      >a pretty aggressive weed control program in the good old days. In
      >later years, the fifties and sixties, the tracks in the Gloversville
      >yard pretty much disappeared in the grass by August 1st. Did they
      >have their own weed sprayers or did they bring in a contractor to do
      >the job. I've seen pictures of some pretty elaborate weed spraying
      >cars.
      >Saul

    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2 11:16 PM
        Boy it would sure seem as though the grease and oil alone from the steam
        engines as well as the steam itself would have been pretty good weed control
        and labor was cheap but I seem to remember in my era of the sixties and
        early seventies the RR had a real weird looking car that had three long
        rather large downspouted tubes that would spout steam out the ends and thus
        within a few days kill and wither the weeds with just one pass the heat
        would do the job and this was cheap and easy to run was this new
        technology?? or have unit's like this been used for some time?? seems as
        though with the steam engines they could run a car like this once a month
        and keep the tracks completely clear

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3 1:47 AM
          Yes, Randy, if you will take a look at the August 1979 Model Railroader,
          you'll see a picture of the car you're mentioning.

          Considering the state of most modern shortlines, I'd take a guess that they
          didn't spend the money on chemical sprayers... if they did, who knows what
          chemicals they used! The NYC had a whole train of weed chemicals... I've
          heard others say the stuff was probably about as safe as Agent Orange.

          The heat from the steam locomotives probably did its trick, as well as the
          soot and cinders. I think the biggest thing you have to remember is that
          steam railroads were always worried about setting fired along the line and
          therefore kept it as clear as possible.

          The cheap labor did have something to do with it (I'd guess) but also the
          idea that property must be kept in good shape. If you think back (I have to
          rely on my father for this one) how many places in Gloversville looked the
          way they do now back in the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s? People, and railroads,
          used to keep their property a lot more attractive than now. With mothers
          staying home and people working scheduled jobs, making decent pay, they had
          a little more time and money to do their lawn chores. Also they weren't
          sitting in front of the TV all night.

          From: Randy & Lorraine Decker <rldecker@...>
          To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
          Date: Friday, March 03, 2000 2:16 AM
          Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Weeds and Brush

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3 5:00 AM
            Most large railways saved their ashes just for this purpose. The would collect
            them in drop bottom gondolas, and them spread them on their tracks to keep down
            and kill any vegetation along the line. If you've ever gone to somewhere were
            they have pulled up the tracks years ago, you may find that they have scraped it
            down to the cinder base, and nothing grows. CN Brockville is a fine example of
            this. Across from the station, there was once a yard. It was pulled up in the
            mid '70's and flattened to the cinder base, still today, no weeds, no nothing.

            Paul

            paul larner wrote:

            > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
            >
            > I'll throw this out as it was given to me... I always thought the clean
            > roadbeds of the steam days were the result of ample low priced manpower. I
            > know the FJ&G had hand tools that you would use to weed the ballast (cinders
            > for the most part and sand and poor gravel) not unlike hoeing a garden.
            > Other roads used diskers, which were pulled behind a motor source and turned
            > the outside ballast and helped keep a well dressed road bed. A friend of
            > mine says it was largely due to the acidy character the soil took on from
            > being exposed to coal soot and cinders that kept the weeds down. Sounds
            > plausible but I had never heard that before. Any comments?
            >
            > PKL
            >
            > >From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
            > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
            > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Weeds and Brush
            > >Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 03:41:07 -0000
            > >
            > >As I look at the ICC photos it seems as if the railroad must have had
            > >a pretty aggressive weed control program in the good old days. In
            > >later years, the fifties and sixties, the tracks in the Gloversville
            > >yard pretty much disappeared in the grass by August 1st. Did they
            > >have their own weed sprayers or did they bring in a contractor to do
            > >the job. I've seen pictures of some pretty elaborate weed spraying
            > >cars.
            > >Saul

            > DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
            > Apply NOW!

          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3 7:03 AM
              OK you guy's where was the FJ&G ash pit? I have seen photo's of the big
              wooden framework structure behind the freight office on the track near the
              creek? Was this some sort of an bucket hoist for the ashes? the ashes were
              spread out as an easy alternative to burying them or hauling them away!!
              They had a 20 mile long land fill!! I was also wondering if and where the
              RRhad their own stone crusher?? they had the stone at the quarry in
              Mayfield seems as though this was a big expence or did the Railroads not use
              the crushed stone untill much later?? I know Mr. DO must have hauled in
              thousands of tons of crused stone ballast when he used federal money to
              upgrade the railbed? hw much a part of the early railroad was this??
              > Most large railways saved their ashes just for this purpose. The would
              collect
              > them in drop bottom gondolas, and them spread them on their tracks to keep
              down
              > and kill any vegetation along the line. If you've ever gone to somewhere
              were
              > they have pulled up the tracks years ago, you may find that they have
              scraped it
              > down to the cinder base, and nothing grows. CN Brockville is a fine
              example of
              > this. Across from the station, there was once a yard. It was pulled up
              in the
              > mid '70's and flattened to the cinder base, still today, no weeds, no
              nothing.

              > Paul
              >
              > paul larner wrote:
              >
              > > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
              > >
              > > I'll throw this out as it was given to me... I always thought the clean
              > > roadbeds of the steam days were the result of ample low priced manpower.
              > > know the FJ&G had hand tools that you would use to weed the ballast
              (cinders
              > > for the most part and sand and poor gravel) not unlike hoeing a garden.
              > > Other roads used diskers, which were pulled behind a motor source and
              turned
              > > the outside ballast and helped keep a well dressed road bed. A friend of
              > > mine says it was largely due to the acidy character the soil took on
              from
              > > being exposed to coal soot and cinders that kept the weeds down. Sounds
              > > plausible but I had never heard that before. Any comments?
              > >
              > > PKL
              > >
              > > >From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
              > > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
              > > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Weeds and Brush
              > > >Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 03:41:07 -0000
              > > >
              > > >As I look at the ICC photos it seems as if the railroad must have had
              > > >a pretty aggressive weed control program in the good old days. In
              > > >later years, the fifties and sixties, the tracks in the Gloversville
              > > >yard pretty much disappeared in the grass by August 1st. Did they
              > > >have their own weed sprayers or did they bring in a contractor to do
              > > >the job. I've seen pictures of some pretty elaborate weed spraying
              > > >cars.
              > > >Saul

              > > DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
              > > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
              > > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
              > > Apply NOW!
              > >
              > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
              > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

              > Apply NOW!

            • Randy & Lorraine Decker
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3 7:16 AM
                Whoop I just reread my message I did not mean thre RR owned the stone Quarry
                it was there I wondered if they had a contract for crused stone from the
                quarry or else where. and the Ashes were the perfect answer to the weeds it
                was the byproduct of the land fill effect

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3 2:44 PM
                  The early FJ&G just used sand and cinders for ballast. The crushed
                  limestone ballast came from DO.

                  >OK you guy's where was the FJ&G ash pit? I have seen photo's of the big
                  >wooden framework structure behind the freight office on the track near the
                  >creek? Was this some sort of an bucket hoist for the ashes? the ashes were
                  >spread out as an easy alternative to burying them or hauling them away!!
                  >They had a 20 mile long land fill!! I was also wondering if and where the
                  >RRhad their own stone crusher?? they had the stone at the quarry in
                  >Mayfield seems as though this was a big expence or did the Railroads not
                  use
                  >the crushed stone untill much later?? I know Mr. DO must have hauled in
                  >thousands of tons of crused stone ballast when he used federal money to
                  >upgrade the railbed? hw much a part of the early railroad was this??

                • Frank Pierson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4 9:59 AM
                    Pual,
                    Actually Steam itself will kill plants along the roadbed. The heat and
                    steam break down the plants protective surface oils causing the plant
                    to die. A slow trip with the cylinder cocks open will kill all in the
                    roadbed. A lot of roads also had a steam line from the boiler for switch
                    thawing and other uses.

                    Frank

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 4 5:43 PM
                      The steam job worked but the weeds come back stronger than ever; we've tried
                      it. The burners were better. We've tried nickel slag ballast where we
                      couldn't spray and there was a machine called a disker used where you didn't
                      have stone ballast (not very practical on today's main lines). Nothing
                      beats chemicals, if we can live with them.

                      Re the tower at Fonda. I've re checked the pictures and I don't see a
                      signal bridge at the west end of the interlocking in any of the photos I've
                      looked at. The west end must have used pole mounted signals on the outside,
                      similar to the one beside the FJ&G track, governing the eastward movement
                      from the FJ&G main to the NYC running track. The NYC was 251 territory
                      where each track has a direction or current of traffic, the two inner tracks
                      being westward. The signals in one of the pics, which shows tower 16 in the
                      SW quadrant, appear to be home signals, but I can't see any switches. I
                      believe the tower was removed and the controls put in a new tower 16 above
                      the station before the line went to CTC or movement in both directions.
                      Early fifties maybe, late forties, does anyone out there know?

                      I have a vague recollection of the rods being there at Fonda but none of the
                      tower.

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 4 6:22 PM
                        Does anyone know which track the eastbound NYC passenger trains stopped on in
                        Fonda? Did passengers have to cross two or three NYC mains, plus the FJ&G main
                        to reach the station? Was there a crossover to get a passenger train closer to
                        the north side?

                        I ask this because for years here in Brockville, at a crossing east two blocks
                        east of the station, CN had a crossing guard that was responsible for putting
                        down the gate, as well as operating a switch to get passenger trains in and out
                        of the station track. No signals, just him with an employees time table.

                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 4 6:24 PM
                          On the track that lead into the passenger car house, where they coaled the
                          engines. Was there as long as the track was in, believe it was constructed
                          of concrete like a tub. There were pits in the engine houses also.

                          PKL

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 4 6:36 PM
                            The passenger tracks were the two south tracks. They were numbered from the
                            south 2-1-3-4 at Fonda and they retain that sequence today with 3-4
                            obviously gone. The other track today is refered to simply as the
                            controlled siding. 2 was eastward, 1 westward. To use a track of another
                            direction in current of traffic territory would require a train order and
                            generally disrupt the day, unless something had already messed up the
                            ritual.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 4 6:42 PM
                              Interesting Paul,

                              Did read something in my '79 Conrail times table about going against the current
                              of traffic, they still didn't like it.

                              Paul

                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 4 6:50 PM
                                The rules provide for such moves, but require paper authority since there
                                would be no signal authority or protection. You also have a whistle signal
                                to use at curves and before blowing the crossing signal to indicate to
                                others that the approaching train is not on the usual track. Current of
                                traffic still exists on the Niagara branch between CP8 and CP17 and on the
                                Mohawk between CP 286 and CP290 on track 7 (former Syracuse Junction). In
                                TCS either track can be used in either direction but the rukes do provide a
                                method for protection when required to receive and discharge across another
                                main track.

                                PKL