Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
      There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an
      eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an
      1891 copy of the Fonda Sanborn's. The pictures are in Bill Gordon's FJ&G
      book, two of them. Both later than 1891, the earlier on doesn't show a
      signal bridge, the later one does but has only two signal masts, which
      appear not to be home signals.

      For those who are following the location of Saul's picture No 118 look in
      Dave Nestle's book page 48 (you'll have to count for yourself) top left
      corner - there's the tool house in relation to the carhouse. The buildings
      appear to be on that stub of a street opposite the Broad street crossing.

      PKL

    • Glenn Williams
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 15, 2000
        Here's some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the
        Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are
        from the '50s and '60s. By the way, 2000 was the 150th anniversary
        of Fonda's founding.

        # 1: From the left, NYC Tracks 2 and 1, with blank roadbed where
        Track 3 was removed. Track 4 and the yard track are in the center,
        with the FJ&G main to the right of the poles. At about this
        location, a crossover went from the yard track to Track 4, allowing
        NYC locals to regain the main. This crossover was later relocated
        closer to the Fonda yard (see picture #34), after SS 16 was closed.
        The yard track continued west for some distance, to Spencer's Coal
        yard, and was used at that location for dormitory cars during the
        construction of the FE (Fonda East) and FW (Fonda West) interlockings
        in the early '50s.

        # 2: The footings shown were for manually controlling the crossover
        mentioned above from the SS 16 tower just behind the photographer.
        When SS 16 was moved to the new 2nd story of the Fonda depot, the
        crossover was controlled electrically from there.

        # 3: From the right of the corrugated enginehouse, the two low
        buildings were for the Socony Vacuum (later Socony Mobil and then
        just Mobil) plant. The white building at the right is rear of the
        Fonda Post Office, built in the early 60's.

        # 5: The Fonda P.O. is at the left, with Sarris' Restaurant at the
        right, with the turntable site between. The P.O. is on the site of
        the building shown in our Files as ICC picture #2.

        # 6: From the left - the Central Garage, for years a Chevy dealer-
        ship, was white in colour; it was also a Gulf station. Next, a
        residence turned into a movie theatre (in the late '40s), with a
        Grange Hall on the 2nd floor; subsequently one of Johnny Morford's
        antique dealerships. Next, mansard-roofed rooming house. Last,
        Fonda Methodist Church.

        # 7: Actually, there are three buildings here: Sarris' Restaurant
        on the left, the Shell garage in the middle, and the Colonial
        Restaurant on the right.

        # 8: The market is on the site of the NYC's Fonda depot. For an
        earlier picture of this location, see
        <http://www.rootsweb.com/~nymontgo/mohawk/fondacards.html>.
        Foundation of old SS 16 is in foreground.

        # 9: Originally the site of the Hotel Roy, later the Colonial
        Restaurant, whose entrance was on the Main Street side. The switch
        is where the FJ&G main leaves the yard track. It was a manual switch
        not controlled by SS 16.

        # 10: From left to right - Central National Bank. The Wagon Wheel,
        a soda fountain and newsstand, with a tailor shop over. The hotel
        (whose name escapes me) had awnings on the 2nd and 3rd floors; a cab
        company later shared the ground floor with the bar and grill. The
        one-story building is the Frothingham Free Library, originally in a
        taller building destroyed by fire; one of the two buildings
        originally here was, I believe, Wyman's Drug Store. The car in the
        foreground is where the west leg of the Fonda's line wye ended.

        # 11: From left to right in the background - the Corning Davis
        Store, whose awning/canopy was not original. See #5, above, for
        another view. The Stewart's is located on the site of a small lot
        between the Davis building and of a large three-story building (now
        the Stewart's parking lot). For years it housed a State Police
        substation, the Fonda Post Office, and other businesses I cannot now
        recall. See page 110 (top) of Randy Decker's book.

        # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a restaurant
        on the ground floor. The entrance was much different than that shown.

        # 17: This is the rear of one of several business buildings between
        the NYC property and the Agway (nee GLF) buildings. These buildings,
        including the Agway, were demolished early in '98 and the newest
        Fonda P.O. erected on the site.

        # 18: The trailer-on-flat-car at the right is on the siding which
        served the GLF.

        # 19: See #17.

        # 23: The gas station behind and to the left of the pickup truck was
        originally the site of the Hands' Lunch diner.

        # 25: Just behind the Mohawk Valley Democrat building, at the orange
        sign, was a smallish structure for the grade crossing guard, there
        because of the nearby school.

        # 28: The houses were in various stages of disrepair as you go back
        in time.

        # 32: The red building originally had a store at street level. The
        Zion Episcopal Church across the street has been unused since the
        early '30s. Freight depot actually was at right edge of picture.

        # 34: Gas station and retaining wall were new in the '60s, after the
        freight depot burned. The building was leased by the NYC to a
        private party, who filled it with wax-covered containers. The fire
        took down the Mohawk Division wires on adjacent poles, putting it in
        a bit of a fix for a while. See Gino's web site for a partial
        picture of the site.

        While I have pictures squirreled away for a lot of this, my memory
        may be faulty. Let me know of any errors and omissions offline and
        I'll repost this list.

        Glenn
      • Glenn Williams
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
          --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
          wrote:
          > [snip]
          >
          > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
          > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
          than that shown.

          > [snip]

          Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
          mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
          DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.

          Glenn
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
            Hi Glenn,

            Thanks for the correction, I'll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of
            information.

            Paul :-)