Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hi Paul,

      Wouldn't mind seeing it if you can find it, I'm thinking the rods would have had
      to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was there one there
      at one time?

      Paul

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
        There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an
        eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an
        1891 copy of the Fonda Sanborn's. The pictures are in Bill Gordon's FJ&G
        book, two of them. Both later than 1891, the earlier on doesn't show a
        signal bridge, the later one does but has only two signal masts, which
        appear not to be home signals.

        For those who are following the location of Saul's picture No 118 look in
        Dave Nestle's book page 48 (you'll have to count for yourself) top left
        corner - there's the tool house in relation to the carhouse. The buildings
        appear to be on that stub of a street opposite the Broad street crossing.

        PKL

      • Glenn Williams
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 15, 2000
          Here's some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the
          Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are
          from the '50s and '60s. By the way, 2000 was the 150th anniversary
          of Fonda's founding.

          # 1: From the left, NYC Tracks 2 and 1, with blank roadbed where
          Track 3 was removed. Track 4 and the yard track are in the center,
          with the FJ&G main to the right of the poles. At about this
          location, a crossover went from the yard track to Track 4, allowing
          NYC locals to regain the main. This crossover was later relocated
          closer to the Fonda yard (see picture #34), after SS 16 was closed.
          The yard track continued west for some distance, to Spencer's Coal
          yard, and was used at that location for dormitory cars during the
          construction of the FE (Fonda East) and FW (Fonda West) interlockings
          in the early '50s.

          # 2: The footings shown were for manually controlling the crossover
          mentioned above from the SS 16 tower just behind the photographer.
          When SS 16 was moved to the new 2nd story of the Fonda depot, the
          crossover was controlled electrically from there.

          # 3: From the right of the corrugated enginehouse, the two low
          buildings were for the Socony Vacuum (later Socony Mobil and then
          just Mobil) plant. The white building at the right is rear of the
          Fonda Post Office, built in the early 60's.

          # 5: The Fonda P.O. is at the left, with Sarris' Restaurant at the
          right, with the turntable site between. The P.O. is on the site of
          the building shown in our Files as ICC picture #2.

          # 6: From the left - the Central Garage, for years a Chevy dealer-
          ship, was white in colour; it was also a Gulf station. Next, a
          residence turned into a movie theatre (in the late '40s), with a
          Grange Hall on the 2nd floor; subsequently one of Johnny Morford's
          antique dealerships. Next, mansard-roofed rooming house. Last,
          Fonda Methodist Church.

          # 7: Actually, there are three buildings here: Sarris' Restaurant
          on the left, the Shell garage in the middle, and the Colonial
          Restaurant on the right.

          # 8: The market is on the site of the NYC's Fonda depot. For an
          earlier picture of this location, see
          <http://www.rootsweb.com/~nymontgo/mohawk/fondacards.html>.
          Foundation of old SS 16 is in foreground.

          # 9: Originally the site of the Hotel Roy, later the Colonial
          Restaurant, whose entrance was on the Main Street side. The switch
          is where the FJ&G main leaves the yard track. It was a manual switch
          not controlled by SS 16.

          # 10: From left to right - Central National Bank. The Wagon Wheel,
          a soda fountain and newsstand, with a tailor shop over. The hotel
          (whose name escapes me) had awnings on the 2nd and 3rd floors; a cab
          company later shared the ground floor with the bar and grill. The
          one-story building is the Frothingham Free Library, originally in a
          taller building destroyed by fire; one of the two buildings
          originally here was, I believe, Wyman's Drug Store. The car in the
          foreground is where the west leg of the Fonda's line wye ended.

          # 11: From left to right in the background - the Corning Davis
          Store, whose awning/canopy was not original. See #5, above, for
          another view. The Stewart's is located on the site of a small lot
          between the Davis building and of a large three-story building (now
          the Stewart's parking lot). For years it housed a State Police
          substation, the Fonda Post Office, and other businesses I cannot now
          recall. See page 110 (top) of Randy Decker's book.

          # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a restaurant
          on the ground floor. The entrance was much different than that shown.

          # 17: This is the rear of one of several business buildings between
          the NYC property and the Agway (nee GLF) buildings. These buildings,
          including the Agway, were demolished early in '98 and the newest
          Fonda P.O. erected on the site.

          # 18: The trailer-on-flat-car at the right is on the siding which
          served the GLF.

          # 19: See #17.

          # 23: The gas station behind and to the left of the pickup truck was
          originally the site of the Hands' Lunch diner.

          # 25: Just behind the Mohawk Valley Democrat building, at the orange
          sign, was a smallish structure for the grade crossing guard, there
          because of the nearby school.

          # 28: The houses were in various stages of disrepair as you go back
          in time.

          # 32: The red building originally had a store at street level. The
          Zion Episcopal Church across the street has been unused since the
          early '30s. Freight depot actually was at right edge of picture.

          # 34: Gas station and retaining wall were new in the '60s, after the
          freight depot burned. The building was leased by the NYC to a
          private party, who filled it with wax-covered containers. The fire
          took down the Mohawk Division wires on adjacent poles, putting it in
          a bit of a fix for a while. See Gino's web site for a partial
          picture of the site.

          While I have pictures squirreled away for a lot of this, my memory
          may be faulty. Let me know of any errors and omissions offline and
          I'll repost this list.

          Glenn
        • Glenn Williams
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
            --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
            wrote:
            > [snip]
            >
            > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
            > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
            than that shown.

            > [snip]

            Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
            mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
            DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.

            Glenn
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
              Hi Glenn,

              Thanks for the correction, I'll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of
              information.

              Paul :-)