Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
      This does sound interesting. Where would I look to find the originals for
      copying.

      Paul

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
        If I can locate a photo or postcard I'll put it up. I was looking at the
        Sanborn's for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal and
        Car Inspector's Shop. This was an oblong building a bit longer than the
        signal tower. West of this was a small square structure which I can't
        identify from the notes.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
          Hi Paul,

          Wouldn't mind seeing it if you can find it, I'm thinking the rods would have had
          to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was there one there
          at one time?

          Paul

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
            There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an
            eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an
            1891 copy of the Fonda Sanborn's. The pictures are in Bill Gordon's FJ&G
            book, two of them. Both later than 1891, the earlier on doesn't show a
            signal bridge, the later one does but has only two signal masts, which
            appear not to be home signals.

            For those who are following the location of Saul's picture No 118 look in
            Dave Nestle's book page 48 (you'll have to count for yourself) top left
            corner - there's the tool house in relation to the carhouse. The buildings
            appear to be on that stub of a street opposite the Broad street crossing.

            PKL

          • Glenn Williams
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 15, 2000
              Here's some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the
              Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are
              from the '50s and '60s. By the way, 2000 was the 150th anniversary
              of Fonda's founding.

              # 1: From the left, NYC Tracks 2 and 1, with blank roadbed where
              Track 3 was removed. Track 4 and the yard track are in the center,
              with the FJ&G main to the right of the poles. At about this
              location, a crossover went from the yard track to Track 4, allowing
              NYC locals to regain the main. This crossover was later relocated
              closer to the Fonda yard (see picture #34), after SS 16 was closed.
              The yard track continued west for some distance, to Spencer's Coal
              yard, and was used at that location for dormitory cars during the
              construction of the FE (Fonda East) and FW (Fonda West) interlockings
              in the early '50s.

              # 2: The footings shown were for manually controlling the crossover
              mentioned above from the SS 16 tower just behind the photographer.
              When SS 16 was moved to the new 2nd story of the Fonda depot, the
              crossover was controlled electrically from there.

              # 3: From the right of the corrugated enginehouse, the two low
              buildings were for the Socony Vacuum (later Socony Mobil and then
              just Mobil) plant. The white building at the right is rear of the
              Fonda Post Office, built in the early 60's.

              # 5: The Fonda P.O. is at the left, with Sarris' Restaurant at the
              right, with the turntable site between. The P.O. is on the site of
              the building shown in our Files as ICC picture #2.

              # 6: From the left - the Central Garage, for years a Chevy dealer-
              ship, was white in colour; it was also a Gulf station. Next, a
              residence turned into a movie theatre (in the late '40s), with a
              Grange Hall on the 2nd floor; subsequently one of Johnny Morford's
              antique dealerships. Next, mansard-roofed rooming house. Last,
              Fonda Methodist Church.

              # 7: Actually, there are three buildings here: Sarris' Restaurant
              on the left, the Shell garage in the middle, and the Colonial
              Restaurant on the right.

              # 8: The market is on the site of the NYC's Fonda depot. For an
              earlier picture of this location, see
              <http://www.rootsweb.com/~nymontgo/mohawk/fondacards.html>.
              Foundation of old SS 16 is in foreground.

              # 9: Originally the site of the Hotel Roy, later the Colonial
              Restaurant, whose entrance was on the Main Street side. The switch
              is where the FJ&G main leaves the yard track. It was a manual switch
              not controlled by SS 16.

              # 10: From left to right - Central National Bank. The Wagon Wheel,
              a soda fountain and newsstand, with a tailor shop over. The hotel
              (whose name escapes me) had awnings on the 2nd and 3rd floors; a cab
              company later shared the ground floor with the bar and grill. The
              one-story building is the Frothingham Free Library, originally in a
              taller building destroyed by fire; one of the two buildings
              originally here was, I believe, Wyman's Drug Store. The car in the
              foreground is where the west leg of the Fonda's line wye ended.

              # 11: From left to right in the background - the Corning Davis
              Store, whose awning/canopy was not original. See #5, above, for
              another view. The Stewart's is located on the site of a small lot
              between the Davis building and of a large three-story building (now
              the Stewart's parking lot). For years it housed a State Police
              substation, the Fonda Post Office, and other businesses I cannot now
              recall. See page 110 (top) of Randy Decker's book.

              # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a restaurant
              on the ground floor. The entrance was much different than that shown.

              # 17: This is the rear of one of several business buildings between
              the NYC property and the Agway (nee GLF) buildings. These buildings,
              including the Agway, were demolished early in '98 and the newest
              Fonda P.O. erected on the site.

              # 18: The trailer-on-flat-car at the right is on the siding which
              served the GLF.

              # 19: See #17.

              # 23: The gas station behind and to the left of the pickup truck was
              originally the site of the Hands' Lunch diner.

              # 25: Just behind the Mohawk Valley Democrat building, at the orange
              sign, was a smallish structure for the grade crossing guard, there
              because of the nearby school.

              # 28: The houses were in various stages of disrepair as you go back
              in time.

              # 32: The red building originally had a store at street level. The
              Zion Episcopal Church across the street has been unused since the
              early '30s. Freight depot actually was at right edge of picture.

              # 34: Gas station and retaining wall were new in the '60s, after the
              freight depot burned. The building was leased by the NYC to a
              private party, who filled it with wax-covered containers. The fire
              took down the Mohawk Division wires on adjacent poles, putting it in
              a bit of a fix for a while. See Gino's web site for a partial
              picture of the site.

              While I have pictures squirreled away for a lot of this, my memory
              may be faulty. Let me know of any errors and omissions offline and
              I'll repost this list.

              Glenn
            • Glenn Williams
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
                wrote:
                > [snip]
                >
                > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
                > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
                than that shown.

                > [snip]

                Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
                mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
                DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.

                Glenn
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                  Hi Glenn,

                  Thanks for the correction, I'll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of
                  information.

                  Paul :-)