RE: [FJGRailroad] Snow Derailment

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
      Air jacks and ties. We rerailed the 21 first ,which wasnt as bad as the
      #20. With a help of #21,about 20 men,a bull dozer,and long hours,they
      manage to rerail #20 in two days.The cause was just not plowing when it
      should of been done. The flange way was very high with snow.Then we got
      rain overnight,then the temperature dropped down to zero the following
      day. The flangeway became nothing but a block of ice,and when the
      locomotive went over it,the traction motors rode over the ice ,lifted
      the engine of the rails.They ended up bulldozing the flangeway from
      Fonda to Broadalbin. Thats why its very important to plow,especially the
      lines with small rail. Mark