Re: [FJGRailroad] Help please!!!!!!!!!!

  • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      > Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
      > two .I'am trying to think of a way to model some hides for some of
      > my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
      > remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
      > NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      >

      > Steve l

      Steve,

      I remember walking home from school and seeing (and smelling) the hides on
      Racks in the back of the tanneries. The rack they were on remind me of what
      My wife puts laundry on in our basement. As for your hides, why don't you
      Get some construction paper with different shades of brown and stack them
      In piles on a loading dock. I've seen a lot of that too....

      Gino
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        Hey Steve,take some garlic salt and glue it to the floor of one of the
        FJG box car.Then take a rotten sardine' and hide it in there also.Have
        the car spotted at Karg Bros. siding. That would be authentic! Mark
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          I remember it distinctly. The Karg Brothers truck would come over and they
          would load the palleets directly onto the truck right out in the open. The
          hides had a kind of salty greasey substance on them.

        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            The cow hides were folded in about a 16" x 16" square with heavy string
            tied around it. The guys unloading the cars would have these big hooks
            to grab on to the strings.When I was still on track gang on the CACV,we
            were sent up there to help unload cars for about two weeks..Deer hides
            were not folded,they were just spread out onto the pallets.Mark