Re: [FJGRailroad] Help please!!!!!!!!!!

  • rafinn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
      I have seen a postcard occasionally offered on eBay of a tannery in Johnstown with the skins spread out on racks in the open.  I don't think that practice was widespread.  I remember a couple of drying houses where the skins were hung on racks.  The drying houses were like large corn cribs (NY state) or tobacco houses (CT).  In other words, a house with slats on the sides and a good roof to keep the rain off the skins, that allowed air to circulate.

      Rich

      "stevefjg20  " wrote:

       Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
      two .I'am trying to think of a way to  model some hides for some of
      my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
      remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
      NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Steve l

    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        > Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
        > two .I'am trying to think of a way to model some hides for some of
        > my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
        > remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
        > NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        >

        > Steve l

        Steve,

        I remember walking home from school and seeing (and smelling) the hides on
        Racks in the back of the tanneries. The rack they were on remind me of what
        My wife puts laundry on in our basement. As for your hides, why don't you
        Get some construction paper with different shades of brown and stack them
        In piles on a loading dock. I've seen a lot of that too....

        Gino
      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          Hey Steve,take some garlic salt and glue it to the floor of one of the
          FJG box car.Then take a rotten sardine' and hide it in there also.Have
          the car spotted at Karg Bros. siding. That would be authentic! Mark
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            I remember it distinctly. The Karg Brothers truck would come over and they
            would load the palleets directly onto the truck right out in the open. The
            hides had a kind of salty greasey substance on them.

          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
              The cow hides were folded in about a 16" x 16" square with heavy string
              tied around it. The guys unloading the cars would have these big hooks
              to grab on to the strings.When I was still on track gang on the CACV,we
              were sent up there to help unload cars for about two weeks..Deer hides
              were not folded,they were just spread out onto the pallets.Mark