Re: [FJGRailroad] Help please!!!!!!!!!!

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2003
      Steve.

      There was a warehouse (I think it was owned by Jones and Naudin) in
      Kingsboro just west of the Kingsboro and eleventh Avenue intersection. It
      had its own FJGRR siding. In the summer time the warehousemen would be
      sorting hides out on the dock, placing them over wooden saw horses. They
      came in very large barrels called hogsheads (larger than the standard
      barrel). They had been pickled in some liquid for shipment and were dripping
      wet. Yes, they stunk. I once asked where they had come from and the answer
      was South Africa.

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
        I have seen a postcard occasionally offered on eBay of a tannery in Johnstown with the skins spread out on racks in the open.  I don't think that practice was widespread.  I remember a couple of drying houses where the skins were hung on racks.  The drying houses were like large corn cribs (NY state) or tobacco houses (CT).  In other words, a house with slats on the sides and a good roof to keep the rain off the skins, that allowed air to circulate.

        Rich

        "stevefjg20  " wrote:

         Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
        two .I'am trying to think of a way to  model some hides for some of
        my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
        remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
        NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

        Steve l

      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          > Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
          > two .I'am trying to think of a way to model some hides for some of
          > my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
          > remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
          > NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          >

          > Steve l

          Steve,

          I remember walking home from school and seeing (and smelling) the hides on
          Racks in the back of the tanneries. The rack they were on remind me of what
          My wife puts laundry on in our basement. As for your hides, why don't you
          Get some construction paper with different shades of brown and stack them
          In piles on a loading dock. I've seen a lot of that too....

          Gino
        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            Hey Steve,take some garlic salt and glue it to the floor of one of the
            FJG box car.Then take a rotten sardine' and hide it in there also.Have
            the car spotted at Karg Bros. siding. That would be authentic! Mark
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
              I remember it distinctly. The Karg Brothers truck would come over and they
              would load the palleets directly onto the truck right out in the open. The
              hides had a kind of salty greasey substance on them.

            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                The cow hides were folded in about a 16" x 16" square with heavy string
                tied around it. The guys unloading the cars would have these big hooks
                to grab on to the strings.When I was still on track gang on the CACV,we
                were sent up there to help unload cars for about two weeks..Deer hides
                were not folded,they were just spread out onto the pallets.Mark