Re: [FJGRailroad] Help please!!!!!!!!!!

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2003
      Steve,

      If I remember correctly they came in barrels or slapped flat in a pile on
      pallets. Somewhere I have a picture of hides being unlloaded from the cars
      on the team track in Johnstown. I'll see if I can find it.

      PKL

      >From: "stevefjg20 <stevejamie1@...>" <stevejamie1@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Help please!!!!!!!!!!
      >Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:24:47 -0000
      >
      >Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
      >two .I'am trying to think of a way to model some hides for some of
      >my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
      >remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
      >NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      >

      >Steve l

    • Malcolm Horton
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2003
        Steve.

        There was a warehouse (I think it was owned by Jones and Naudin) in
        Kingsboro just west of the Kingsboro and eleventh Avenue intersection. It
        had its own FJGRR siding. In the summer time the warehousemen would be
        sorting hides out on the dock, placing them over wooden saw horses. They
        came in very large barrels called hogsheads (larger than the standard
        barrel). They had been pickled in some liquid for shipment and were dripping
        wet. Yes, they stunk. I once asked where they had come from and the answer
        was South Africa.

        Malcolm Horton

        > If I remember correctly they came in barrels or slapped flat in a pile on
        > pallets. Somewhere I have a picture of hides being unlloaded from the
        cars
        > on the team track in Johnstown. I'll see if I can find it.
        >
        > PKL
        >

        > >From: "stevefjg20 <stevejamie1@...>" <stevejamie1@...>
        > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Help please!!!!!!!!!!
        > >Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 03:24:47 -0000
        > >
        > >Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
        > >two .I'am trying to think of a way to model some hides for some of
        > >my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
        > >remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
        > >NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        > >

        > >Steve l

        > Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com
        http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/

      • rafinn
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
          I have seen a postcard occasionally offered on eBay of a tannery in Johnstown with the skins spread out on racks in the open.  I don't think that practice was widespread.  I remember a couple of drying houses where the skins were hung on racks.  The drying houses were like large corn cribs (NY state) or tobacco houses (CT).  In other words, a house with slats on the sides and a good roof to keep the rain off the skins, that allowed air to circulate.

          Rich

          "stevefjg20  " wrote:

           Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
          two .I'am trying to think of a way to  model some hides for some of
          my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
          remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
          NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

          Steve l

        • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
            > Hello everyone i need some help maybe somebody has an idea or
            > two .I'am trying to think of a way to model some hides for some of
            > my tannerys and i still can't come up with anything Dose any body
            > remember any articals in mags or anything.Any help would be great.And
            > NO I DON"T WANT THE SMELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            >

            > Steve l

            Steve,

            I remember walking home from school and seeing (and smelling) the hides on
            Racks in the back of the tanneries. The rack they were on remind me of what
            My wife puts laundry on in our basement. As for your hides, why don't you
            Get some construction paper with different shades of brown and stack them
            In piles on a loading dock. I've seen a lot of that too....

            Gino
          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
              Hey Steve,take some garlic salt and glue it to the floor of one of the
              FJG box car.Then take a rotten sardine' and hide it in there also.Have
              the car spotted at Karg Bros. siding. That would be authentic! Mark
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                I remember it distinctly. The Karg Brothers truck would come over and they
                would load the palleets directly onto the truck right out in the open. The
                hides had a kind of salty greasey substance on them.

              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 10, 2003
                  The cow hides were folded in about a 16" x 16" square with heavy string
                  tied around it. The guys unloading the cars would have these big hooks
                  to grab on to the strings.When I was still on track gang on the CACV,we
                  were sent up there to help unload cars for about two weeks..Deer hides
                  were not folded,they were just spread out onto the pallets.Mark