Re: [FJGRailroad] Snow Derailment

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
      Doesnt that picture bring back memories. The 20 & 21 was very easy to
      derail mainly because of their weight. The winters up there was
      something else. Superbowl sunday 1980 we had a good derailment. Up to
      Colecos on the main,the engine (#20)jumped the track due to ice and
      ended up over a bank. The next day we had the #21 inside Coleco,so we
      had to bring it out to help to rerail #20. As we were bringing it out,it
      derailed over a switch and buried that in the ground. At the same
      time,about 50 yards from each other both the #20 & #21 were
      derailed.What a mess! Mark
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
        So, how did you get them both back on track? What equipment
        was used? Jacks and 2 x 4s?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
          Air jacks and ties. We rerailed the 21 first ,which wasnt as bad as the
          #20. With a help of #21,about 20 men,a bull dozer,and long hours,they
          manage to rerail #20 in two days.The cause was just not plowing when it
          should of been done. The flange way was very high with snow.Then we got
          rain overnight,then the temperature dropped down to zero the following
          day. The flangeway became nothing but a block of ice,and when the
          locomotive went over it,the traction motors rode over the ice ,lifted
          the engine of the rails.They ended up bulldozing the flangeway from
          Fonda to Broadalbin. Thats why its very important to plow,especially the
          lines with small rail. Mark