Snow Derailment

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
      Click here to see an FJ&G derailment from the 70's...

      http://www.leaderherald.com/millennium/19701979/1970body.html
    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
        Doesnt that picture bring back memories. The 20 & 21 was very easy to
        derail mainly because of their weight. The winters up there was
        something else. Superbowl sunday 1980 we had a good derailment. Up to
        Colecos on the main,the engine (#20)jumped the track due to ice and
        ended up over a bank. The next day we had the #21 inside Coleco,so we
        had to bring it out to help to rerail #20. As we were bringing it out,it
        derailed over a switch and buried that in the ground. At the same
        time,about 50 yards from each other both the #20 & #21 were
        derailed.What a mess! Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2003
          So, how did you get them both back on track? What equipment
          was used? Jacks and 2 x 4s?

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2003
            Air jacks and ties. We rerailed the 21 first ,which wasnt as bad as the
            #20. With a help of #21,about 20 men,a bull dozer,and long hours,they
            manage to rerail #20 in two days.The cause was just not plowing when it
            should of been done. The flange way was very high with snow.Then we got
            rain overnight,then the temperature dropped down to zero the following
            day. The flangeway became nothing but a block of ice,and when the
            locomotive went over it,the traction motors rode over the ice ,lifted
            the engine of the rails.They ended up bulldozing the flangeway from
            Fonda to Broadalbin. Thats why its very important to plow,especially the
            lines with small rail. Mark