Vail Mills or Vails Mills?

  • Charles P Woolever
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 1999
      My maps and the name I've been using say Vail Mills. Everyone here keeps
      writing Vails Mills. Which one is right?

      Charles
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 1999
        The town was originally founded as Vail's Mills, but in the early 1900s the
        name was changed to Vail Mills. The correct spelling, these days, is "Vail
        Mills" but everyone I know pronounces it as though the "s" were still there.

        I'm not sure exactly what year the name was changed. One of the paradoxes
        is now that I'm in college I don't have all my files right here to look at.

        From: Charles P Woolever <woolever@...>
        To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
        Date: Monday, August 30, 1999 9:28 AM
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Vail Mills or Vails Mills?

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 1999
          FJ&G employee timetable for 1906 lists Vails Mills; 1910 shows Vail Mills.
          Got home this week and reviewed the pictures from the books of the FJ&G
          waiting rooms, which I believed were all alike. This one at Perth has a
          noticeably extended overhang of the front door, unlike the ones shown for
          the trolley line where the eaves appear to overhang evenly. I have not made
          the "great contact" that I was anticipating with the owner, though a little
          heart catheterization interfered with my progress this week.

          Thinking of remaining relics, while they last - a curious sight os gas car
          202 sitting off the south side of route 7, east of Troy about 5 to 10 miles.
          It seems so small.

          Well I'm on the horseplayers special again this week so have to cut short.

          PKL