Re: [FJGRailroad] New Page Up

  • Malcolm Horton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2003
      Gino,

      Great pictures. I particularly liked the Kingsboro shot where I grew up. The
      belt-line trolley track shows as does the RR station just to the right of
      the crossing sign. The old filling station is still there but is a terrible
      eye sore at this date.

      Malcolm Horton

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
        I'm glad you enjoyed them Malcolm! Yeah, I like that shot too because
        it is my old neighborhood. You can also see a box car on the coal Co.
        siding. I forgot to mention the Kingsboro Station to the right. When
        I release the page to the general public, I will add the station note
        and the North Perry Street correction that Dave sent me! There are so
        many details to study in the pictures. There are some more and I will
        try to add them soon. There are also a couple of locations that Walt
        and myself cannot figure out!

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
          Gino,

          Those are really great shots. I espacially like the ones aroundthe
          Gloversville station andthe one showing the Northville train made up at the
          station.

          PKL

          http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
        • Glenn J. Williams <103424.2304@compuserv
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
            <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            > Hi guys,
            >
            > I'm excited to let you guys
            > preview some new pictures
            > someone let me borrow!
            > [snip]
            > Please take the time to give
            > me any info you may have on
            > these shots and please let me
            > know if you enjoy them!
            >
            > Enjoy!
            >
            > Gino

            Gino,

            Those are absolutely great shots! Anyone looking for details for a
            layout of the FJ&G (or any other railroad around that time) will find
            a real treasure trove.

            For example, in the Kingsboro Ave one, note the trolley wire cover.
            And the shot of the rear of the Gloversville depot shows more of the
            track layout back there.

            There's not much I can add to the Fonda pictures at first glance.
            The shot of the NY 5 crossing shows buildings to the left (heading
            west) that I never knew were there! The one of the intersection of
            Main and Broadway was basically unchanged (except for the occasional
            external remodeling) up to the early 50s. And the trees! I'd
            forgotten all about the trees!

            Thanks to Dave Reffue for sharing them with us.

            Glenn
          • Malcolm Horton
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
              Gino,

              In reference to the Kingsboro picture, the filling station at the right was
              owned by Homer Smith Sr.. He had 30,000 gallons of gasoline storage in
              underground tanks immediately adjacent to the railroad siding. He bought
              gasoline by the tank car load and unloaded it by gravity via some large
              hoses directly into his tanks.

              When World War II gas rationing started, his son, Homer Smith Jr., owned the
              station and had the tanks full. Whenever an area serviceman was home on
              leave, Homer would supply him with gas without a rationing card so that he
              could make the most of his leave. The 30,000 gallon "slush fund" (of
              gasoline) allowed him this privilege.

              Malcolm Horton

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                Great story Malcolm! I bought my first used car from that Garage
                about 20 years ago and was stuck with the biggest lemon in the world!
                I was right out of college and didn't know better. He told me it
                had 60,000 miles on it, but the previous owner knew he put his foot
                in his mouth when he told me it had 160,000 miles on it! Anyhow, my
                Kingsboro Service Station story isn't as good as yours!

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                  Gino,

                  The Smiths (3 rd generation was Sherwood Smith, son of Homer Jr.) started
                  doing business with his father at the Kingsboro site. He sold new and used
                  VWs, Morris, Isetta etc. Sherwood was a reputable guy (he was in my high
                  school class). He soon outgrew the Kingsboro Ave. site, then moved to route
                  #30A between Johnstown and Fonda for a few years, then opened a new facility
                  in Johnstown on Route #30A just south of the intersection with route #67. He
                  had a Chrysler and/or another Chrysler brand dealership there for many
                  years. He is now retired and has sold the business, now known as Sherwood
                  Motors. The buyers of the Kingsboro facility are unknown to me but they
                  operate a junk yard like business which is a disgrace to the community.
                  I last saw Sherwood at the funeral of a mutual friend. He told me of
                  trying to negotiate with Judson Zimmer to purchase of some land opposite his
                  Johnstown auto agency. The FJ&G apparently still owned some land where the
                  old Cayadutta Electric Railroad had run. Judson was a hard guy to deal with,
                  said Sherwood.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                    Boy Malcolm, you know the origin of every Fulton County business!
                    The Rail stuff aside, I could listen to you tell me the origin
                    of every business in Gloversville and Johnstown! That's great
                    stuff. Yeah, the shyster that sold me the car from the auto
                    business on Kingsboro was far removed from the classy establishment
                    you told us of! Nothing against Fulton County here, but I always
                    felt that if you wanted to get raked over the coals, just employ
                    the services of any business in the Glove cities! I know that
                    not every business in Fulton County does poor work, but I must
                    have dealt with everyone who did! OK, enough...