New Page Up

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2003
      Hi guys,

      I'm excited to let you guys preview some new pictures someone let me borrow!
      Well, maybe
      new isn't the word for it since they are 80 years old. One of our club
      members, Dave Reffue
      was so nice to let me scan some pictures he picked up at the Albany Train
      Show. The pictures
      are new to me and I'm sure will be new to you. They are panoramas taken
      around the FJG in
      the 1920's. Exact dates and photographer not known! I think you guys will
      love these, but
      let me warn you, they are big. I made them that way so you can zoom in on
      some detail.
      Since they are wide view, you won't be able to look at the whole image
      unless you have
      one of those cinema monitors! If you have one of those monitors, send me
      some money,
      'cause you have too much! Slowly I digress. Here is the link to this
      page...

      http://www.fjgrr.com/panoramas/

      Please take the time to give me any info you may have on these shots and
      please let me
      know if you enjoy them!

      Enjoy!

      Gino
    • Dave Brennan

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2003
          Dave,

          Yes, that is North Perry Street! The trolley stop there is the
          Fairground's-Stop though!

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2003
            Gino,

            Great pictures. I particularly liked the Kingsboro shot where I grew up. The
            belt-line trolley track shows as does the RR station just to the right of
            the crossing sign. The old filling station is still there but is a terrible
            eye sore at this date.

            Malcolm Horton

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
              I'm glad you enjoyed them Malcolm! Yeah, I like that shot too because
              it is my old neighborhood. You can also see a box car on the coal Co.
              siding. I forgot to mention the Kingsboro Station to the right. When
              I release the page to the general public, I will add the station note
              and the North Perry Street correction that Dave sent me! There are so
              many details to study in the pictures. There are some more and I will
              try to add them soon. There are also a couple of locations that Walt
              and myself cannot figure out!

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                Gino,

                Those are really great shots. I espacially like the ones aroundthe
                Gloversville station andthe one showing the Northville train made up at the
                station.

                PKL

                http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
              • Glenn J. Williams <103424.2304@compuserv
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                  <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                  > Hi guys,
                  >
                  > I'm excited to let you guys
                  > preview some new pictures
                  > someone let me borrow!
                  > [snip]
                  > Please take the time to give
                  > me any info you may have on
                  > these shots and please let me
                  > know if you enjoy them!
                  >
                  > Enjoy!
                  >
                  > Gino

                  Gino,

                  Those are absolutely great shots! Anyone looking for details for a
                  layout of the FJ&G (or any other railroad around that time) will find
                  a real treasure trove.

                  For example, in the Kingsboro Ave one, note the trolley wire cover.
                  And the shot of the rear of the Gloversville depot shows more of the
                  track layout back there.

                  There's not much I can add to the Fonda pictures at first glance.
                  The shot of the NY 5 crossing shows buildings to the left (heading
                  west) that I never knew were there! The one of the intersection of
                  Main and Broadway was basically unchanged (except for the occasional
                  external remodeling) up to the early 50s. And the trees! I'd
                  forgotten all about the trees!

                  Thanks to Dave Reffue for sharing them with us.

                  Glenn
                • Malcolm Horton
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                    Gino,

                    In reference to the Kingsboro picture, the filling station at the right was
                    owned by Homer Smith Sr.. He had 30,000 gallons of gasoline storage in
                    underground tanks immediately adjacent to the railroad siding. He bought
                    gasoline by the tank car load and unloaded it by gravity via some large
                    hoses directly into his tanks.

                    When World War II gas rationing started, his son, Homer Smith Jr., owned the
                    station and had the tanks full. Whenever an area serviceman was home on
                    leave, Homer would supply him with gas without a rationing card so that he
                    could make the most of his leave. The 30,000 gallon "slush fund" (of
                    gasoline) allowed him this privilege.

                    Malcolm Horton

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                      Great story Malcolm! I bought my first used car from that Garage
                      about 20 years ago and was stuck with the biggest lemon in the world!
                      I was right out of college and didn't know better. He told me it
                      had 60,000 miles on it, but the previous owner knew he put his foot
                      in his mouth when he told me it had 160,000 miles on it! Anyhow, my
                      Kingsboro Service Station story isn't as good as yours!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                        Gino,

                        The Smiths (3 rd generation was Sherwood Smith, son of Homer Jr.) started
                        doing business with his father at the Kingsboro site. He sold new and used
                        VWs, Morris, Isetta etc. Sherwood was a reputable guy (he was in my high
                        school class). He soon outgrew the Kingsboro Ave. site, then moved to route
                        #30A between Johnstown and Fonda for a few years, then opened a new facility
                        in Johnstown on Route #30A just south of the intersection with route #67. He
                        had a Chrysler and/or another Chrysler brand dealership there for many
                        years. He is now retired and has sold the business, now known as Sherwood
                        Motors. The buyers of the Kingsboro facility are unknown to me but they
                        operate a junk yard like business which is a disgrace to the community.
                        I last saw Sherwood at the funeral of a mutual friend. He told me of
                        trying to negotiate with Judson Zimmer to purchase of some land opposite his
                        Johnstown auto agency. The FJ&G apparently still owned some land where the
                        old Cayadutta Electric Railroad had run. Judson was a hard guy to deal with,
                        said Sherwood.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 6, 2003
                          Boy Malcolm, you know the origin of every Fulton County business!
                          The Rail stuff aside, I could listen to you tell me the origin
                          of every business in Gloversville and Johnstown! That's great
                          stuff. Yeah, the shyster that sold me the car from the auto
                          business on Kingsboro was far removed from the classy establishment
                          you told us of! Nothing against Fulton County here, but I always
                          felt that if you wanted to get raked over the coals, just employ
                          the services of any business in the Glove cities! I know that
                          not every business in Fulton County does poor work, but I must
                          have dealt with everyone who did! OK, enough...