Re: [FJGRailroad] Origin of Hojack (Was: RW&O)

  • Frank Pierson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003
      I hate to stir the pot on this, but I know how history tends to change
      the facts a bit. Many team drivers of both horses and asses trained
      there teams to respond to verbal commands so they could do other things
      while working. HI was the common command for left and HO was used to
      tell the team to go right. A clicking of the tongue was a common move to
      start the team and of course everyone knows the WHOA command to stop.
      We commonly tied off the reins to the front of the wagon while loading
      hay and used voice commands to drive the team. The last I drove was as
      a teenager, Many moons ago!

      So how do we determine the fact from the fiction?

      Frank Pierson
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003

        >From: Frank Pierson <fpierson@...>
        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Origin of Hojack (Was: RW&O)
        >Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 06:09:04 -0500
        >
        >I hate to stir the pot on this, but I know how history tends to change
        >the facts a bit. Many team drivers of both horses and asses trained
        >there teams to respond to verbal commands so they could do other things
        >while working. HI was the common command for left and HO was used to
        >tell the team to go right. A clicking of the tongue was a common move to
        >start the team and of course everyone knows the WHOA command to stop.
        >We commonly tied off the reins to the front of the wagon while loading
        >hay and used voice commands to drive the team. The last I drove was as
        >a teenager, Many moons ago!
        >
        > So how do we determine the fact from the fiction?
        >
        >Frank Pierson

        ince I asked the question I am glad you stirred the pot. And by the way noww
        that you mention it, I believe there was an animated cartoon where one of
        the songs goes Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work we go...........

        Still I want to find tha

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2003

          >From: Frank Pierson <fpierson@...>
          >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Origin of Hojack (Was: RW&O)
          >Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 06:09:04 -0500
          >
          >I hate to stir the pot on this, but I know how history tends to change
          >the facts a bit. Many team drivers of both horses and asses trained
          >there teams to respond to verbal commands so they could do other things
          >while working. HI was the common command for left and HO was used to
          >tell the team to go right. A clicking of the tongue was a common move to
          >start the team and of course everyone knows the WHOA command to stop.
          >We commonly tied off the reins to the front of the wagon while loading
          >hay and used voice commands to drive the team. The last I drove was as
          >a teenager, Many moons ago!
          >
          > So how do we determine the fact from the fiction?
          >
          >Frank Pierson

          ince I asked the question I am glad you stirred the pot. And by the way noww
          that you mention it, I believe there was an animated cartoon where one of
          the songs goes Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to work we go...........

          Still I want to find that definite answer that I don't thing exists. But I
          wish I had Hungerfords book. I am sure it would explain it...