Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

Expand Messages
  • Aaron Keller
    Those things are still there and I ve wondered the same. Taking a guess, I d say they might have held the control rods from the tower, which stood just a few
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      Those things are still there and I've wondered the same. Taking a guess,
      I'd say they might have held the control rods from the tower, which stood
      just a few feet away. There was never a signal bridge there. The signals
      facing west were originally between the station and the Broadway crossing
      until a coal train derailed around 1948 and leveled them. Then they moved
      the signals to right next to the overpass, making the only place on the
      Chicago Line where east and west signals face each other.

      The only other thing I could guess these footing braces are would have
      something to do with the oil tanks which used to be on this side of the
      tracks back in the 30s and 40s. Not sure how long they stayed there but
      there were quite a few of the vertical oil tanks on the south side of the
      tracks here. I have a few pictures at home. I think they say further back
      from the tracks, though.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
      Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 9:40 PM
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos


      >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
      >
      >Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation for a
      >tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods for
      >operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this
      location?
      >
      >Paul
      >
      >Saul Kalbfeld wrote:
      >
      >> From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
      >>
      >> #4 On left side of frame FJ&G corrugated engine shed, built mid '70's
      >> note track.
      >> #6 In foreground site of FJ&G turntable.
      >> #8 In foreground foundation of NYC tool and line shed.
      >> #9 Colonial Restaurant (Porky's) My parents took us to dinner here
      >> on Sundays. We always sat by that window so I could watch the trains
      >> 1947-1953.
      >> #10 Mkt site of depot
      >> #15 Lot site of REA office
      >> #19-22 Rear of Agway Farm and Feed store. I have many pix of this from
      >> better days.
      >> #24-26 Mohawk Valley Democrat. Built model of this 20 yrs ago.
      >> #26 Empty lot is where adjoining building stood until 1980??
      >> #32 Parking lot is site of NYC freighthouse. Burned about 1950???
      >> Saul
      >>
      >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
      >> as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
      >> Apply NOW!
      >> http://click.egroups.com/1/975/1/_/562133/_/951961988/
      >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >>
      >> Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
      >> http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
      >
      >
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
      >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
      >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
      >Apply NOW!
      >http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/1/_/562133/_/951964790/
      >------------------------------------------------------------------------
      >
      >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
      >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
      >
      >
    • Aaron Keller
      Paul, When Rome Locomotive Works was hired to do this, they sent a field crew out for the summer. They inspected the line as far as Broadalbin Junction and
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
      • 0 Attachment
        Paul,

        When Rome Locomotive Works was hired to do this, they sent a field crew out
        for the summer. They inspected the line as far as Broadalbin Junction and
        what I have are their notes of defects in the track that would impair train
        movement. Things are noted such as heat kinks, asphalt paving over
        crossings, things thrown on the tracks, vehicles parked on the tracks, and
        etc.

        Most of these reports are whole-page hand-drawn checklists noting how each
        boxcar and piece of equipment on the line was readied for scrapping or
        removal. This is what interests me the most. All the cars are noted, with
        reporting marks and numbers; included are the plow and some of the other
        stuff left kicking around up there. I haven't looked through this in a few
        years but I do think they left some of the more fun stuff off the list (i.e.
        I don't think the Swift's Premium reefer they junked in Broadalbin Junction
        was included in this... nor was the tank car over by Hohenforst's).

        The railroad really was falling apart big-time and these reports, together
        with what I remember from the scrapping procedure, will explain most of the
        engineering defects. You're probably familiar with how the tracks in the
        Gloversville yard run over the top of the creek... they sank (quite
        noticeably, probably at least 4") when this scrapping was taking place.

        -Aaron


        -----Original Message-----
        From: paul larner <pklarner@...>
        To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
        Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:55 PM
        Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos


        >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
        >
        >Aaron, is this something like an inspection of the entire line. If so it
        >would be interesting to compare it with some of the inspections done by the
        >Railroad Commissioners around the turn of the century.
        >
        >Paul
        >
        >
        >>From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
        >>Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
        >>To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
        >>Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
        >>Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:18:22 -0500
        >>
        >>Paul,
        >>
        >>Thanks for posting these.
        >>
        >>Speaking of '88, I remember when the trackmobile came in '88 to take the
        >>boxcars away. I have the entire engineering report on this job if anyone
        >>cares to see it. It's quite lengthy but offers some good information on
        >>what condition the line was in. I have a photocopy (there were no
        pictures
        >>anyway; just documents).
        >>
        >>-Aaron
        >>
        >>
        >>-----Original Message-----
        >>From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
        >>To: FJG <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
        >>Date: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 7:56 PM
        >>Subject: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
        >>
        >>
        >> >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
        >> >
        >> >Hi,
        >> >
        >> >Just posted 34 jpegs to the Onelist files. These photos were taken by a
        >> >friend, Steve Hunter, back in '87 (or was it 88!). They show all the
        >> >buildings on the north side of the mainline in Fonda, from the
        >> >enginehouse to the overpass. If you're looking for information on
        >> >modeling Fonda, look for the folder named "FondaNYPhotos".
        >> >
        >> >Paul
        >>
        >>
        >
        >______________________________________________________
        >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
        >
        >
        >------------------------------------------------------------------------
        >DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
        >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
        >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
        >Apply NOW!
        >http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/1/_/562133/_/951969321/
        >------------------------------------------------------------------------
        >
        >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
        >
        >
      • Paul Charland
        Hi Paul, Thought that s what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove it. Paul
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Paul,

          Thought that's what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove it.

          Paul

          paul larner wrote:

          > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
          >
          > Years ago there was an interlocking plant at the west crossing in Fonda.
          > The tower stood just west of the crossing on the south side. There was a
          > brick tool or oil house there in later years which contained a number of NYC
          > marker lamps among other stuff. The door always seemed to be open. I can't
          > easily put my fingers on a photo of the interior of that tower but they
          > exist, as well as some postcards showing the signal tower and parts of the
          > plant.
          >
          > Paul
          >
          > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
          > >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
          > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
          > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
          > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:40:42 -0500
          > >
          > >Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation for a
          > >tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods for
          > >operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this
          > >location?
          > >
          > >Paul
          > >
          > >Saul Kalbfeld wrote:
          > >
          > > > From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
          > > >
          > > > #4 On left side of frame FJ&G corrugated engine shed, built mid '70's
          > > > note track.
          > > > #6 In foreground site of FJ&G turntable.
          > > > #8 In foreground foundation of NYC tool and line shed.
          > > > #9 Colonial Restaurant (Porky's) My parents took us to dinner here
          > > > on Sundays. We always sat by that window so I could watch the trains
          > > > 1947-1953.
          > > > #10 Mkt site of depot
          > > > #15 Lot site of REA office
          > > > #19-22 Rear of Agway Farm and Feed store. I have many pix of this from
          > > > better days.
          > > > #24-26 Mohawk Valley Democrat. Built model of this 20 yrs ago.
          > > > #26 Empty lot is where adjoining building stood until 1980??
          > > > #32 Parking lot is site of NYC freighthouse. Burned about 1950???
          > > > Saul
          > > >
          > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > > > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
          > > > as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
          > > > Apply NOW!
          > > > http://click.egroups.com/1/975/1/_/562133/_/951961988/
          > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > > >
          > > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
          > > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
          > >
          >
          > ______________________________________________________
          > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
          >
          > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          > PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
          > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
          > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
          > Apply NOW!
          > http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/1/_/562133/_/951970175/
          > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
          >
          > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
          > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
        • paul larner
          Best I can tell from the diagrams is that the westward signal bridge for the interlocking would be east of the west crossing (Broadway) and the eastward
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
          • 0 Attachment
            Best I can tell from the diagrams is that the westward signal bridge for
            the interlocking would be east of the west crossing (Broadway) and the
            eastward signal bridge would have been somewhere near where the DO engine
            house was built. Crossovers appear to be from south tracks to north tracks
            for eastward trains. Unfortunately the Sanborn Maps rarely show the trackage
            accurately, but they do show the buildings. The 1891 set shows the
            crossovers but the earlier and later sets that I have don't.

            Paul


            >From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
            >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
            >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
            >Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 03:51:20 -0500
            >
            >Those things are still there and I've wondered the same. Taking a guess,
            >I'd say they might have held the control rods from the tower, which stood
            >just a few feet away. There was never a signal bridge there. The signals
            >facing west were originally between the station and the Broadway crossing
            >until a coal train derailed around 1948 and leveled them. Then they moved
            >the signals to right next to the overpass, making the only place on the
            >Chicago Line where east and west signals face each other.
            >
            >The only other thing I could guess these footing braces are would have
            >something to do with the oil tanks which used to be on this side of the
            >tracks back in the 30s and 40s. Not sure how long they stayed there but
            >there were quite a few of the vertical oil tanks on the south side of the
            >tracks here. I have a few pictures at home. I think they say further back
            >from the tracks, though.
            >
            >-----Original Message-----
            >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
            >Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 9:40 PM
            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
            >
            >
            > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
            > >
            > >Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation for
            >a
            > >tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods
            >for
            > >operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this
            >location?
            > >
            > >Paul
            > >
            > >Saul Kalbfeld wrote:
            > >
            > >> From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
            > >>
            > >> #4 On left side of frame FJ&G corrugated engine shed, built mid '70's
            > >> note track.
            > >> #6 In foreground site of FJ&G turntable.
            > >> #8 In foreground foundation of NYC tool and line shed.
            > >> #9 Colonial Restaurant (Porky's) My parents took us to dinner here
            > >> on Sundays. We always sat by that window so I could watch the trains
            > >> 1947-1953.
            > >> #10 Mkt site of depot
            > >> #15 Lot site of REA office
            > >> #19-22 Rear of Agway Farm and Feed store. I have many pix of this from
            > >> better days.
            > >> #24-26 Mohawk Valley Democrat. Built model of this 20 yrs ago.
            > >> #26 Empty lot is where adjoining building stood until 1980??
            > >> #32 Parking lot is site of NYC freighthouse. Burned about 1950???
            > >> Saul
            > >>
            > >>
            >------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > >> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
            > >> as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
            > >> Apply NOW!
            > >> http://click.egroups.com/1/975/1/_/562133/_/951961988/
            > >>
            >------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > >>
            > >> Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
            > >> http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
            > >
            > >
            > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > >PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
            > >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
            > >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
            > >Apply NOW!
            > >http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/1/_/562133/_/951964790/
            > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
            > >
            > >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
            > >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
            > >
            > >
            >
            >

            ______________________________________________________
            Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
          • paul larner
            This does sound interesting. Where would I look to find the originals for copying. Paul ... ______________________________________________________ Get Your
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
            • 0 Attachment
              This does sound interesting. Where would I look to find the originals for
              copying.

              Paul


              >From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
              >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
              >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
              >Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 04:01:29 -0500
              >
              >Paul,
              >
              >When Rome Locomotive Works was hired to do this, they sent a field crew out
              >for the summer. They inspected the line as far as Broadalbin Junction and
              >what I have are their notes of defects in the track that would impair train
              >movement. Things are noted such as heat kinks, asphalt paving over
              >crossings, things thrown on the tracks, vehicles parked on the tracks, and
              >etc.
              >
              >Most of these reports are whole-page hand-drawn checklists noting how each
              >boxcar and piece of equipment on the line was readied for scrapping or
              >removal. This is what interests me the most. All the cars are noted, with
              >reporting marks and numbers; included are the plow and some of the other
              >stuff left kicking around up there. I haven't looked through this in a few
              >years but I do think they left some of the more fun stuff off the list
              >(i.e.
              >I don't think the Swift's Premium reefer they junked in Broadalbin Junction
              >was included in this... nor was the tank car over by Hohenforst's).
              >
              >The railroad really was falling apart big-time and these reports, together
              >with what I remember from the scrapping procedure, will explain most of the
              >engineering defects. You're probably familiar with how the tracks in the
              >Gloversville yard run over the top of the creek... they sank (quite
              >noticeably, probably at least 4") when this scrapping was taking place.
              >
              >-Aaron
              >
              >
              >-----Original Message-----
              >From: paul larner <pklarner@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
              >Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:55 PM
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
              >
              >
              > >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
              > >
              > >Aaron, is this something like an inspection of the entire line. If so it
              > >would be interesting to compare it with some of the inspections done by
              >the
              > >Railroad Commissioners around the turn of the century.
              > >
              > >Paul
              > >
              > >
              > >>From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
              > >>Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
              > >>To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
              > >>Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
              > >>Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:18:22 -0500
              > >>
              > >>Paul,
              > >>
              > >>Thanks for posting these.
              > >>
              > >>Speaking of '88, I remember when the trackmobile came in '88 to take the
              > >>boxcars away. I have the entire engineering report on this job if
              >anyone
              > >>cares to see it. It's quite lengthy but offers some good information on
              > >>what condition the line was in. I have a photocopy (there were no
              >pictures
              > >>anyway; just documents).
              > >>
              > >>-Aaron
              > >>
              > >>
              > >>-----Original Message-----
              > >>From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
              > >>To: FJG <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
              > >>Date: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 7:56 PM
              > >>Subject: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
              > >>
              > >>
              > >> >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
              > >> >
              > >> >Hi,
              > >> >
              > >> >Just posted 34 jpegs to the Onelist files. These photos were taken by
              >a
              > >> >friend, Steve Hunter, back in '87 (or was it 88!). They show all the
              > >> >buildings on the north side of the mainline in Fonda, from the
              > >> >enginehouse to the overpass. If you're looking for information on
              > >> >modeling Fonda, look for the folder named "FondaNYPhotos".
              > >> >
              > >> >Paul
              > >>
              > >>
              > >
              > >______________________________________________________
              > >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
              > >
              > >
              > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
              > >DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
              > >Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
              > >0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
              > >Apply NOW!
              > >http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/1/_/562133/_/951969321/
              > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
              > >
              > >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
              > >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
              > >
              > >
              >
              >

              ______________________________________________________
              Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
            • paul larner
              If I can locate a photo or postcard I ll put it up. I was looking at the Sanborn s for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal and Car
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
              • 0 Attachment
                If I can locate a photo or postcard I'll put it up. I was looking at the
                Sanborn's for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal and
                Car Inspector's Shop. This was an oblong building a bit longer than the
                signal tower. West of this was a small square structure which I can't
                identify from the notes.

                Paul

                >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
                >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:19:28 -0500
                >
                >Hi Paul,
                >
                >Thought that's what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove it.
                >
                >Paul
                >
                >paul larner wrote:
                >
                > > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                > >
                > > Years ago there was an interlocking plant at the west crossing in Fonda.
                > > The tower stood just west of the crossing on the south side. There was
                >a
                > > brick tool or oil house there in later years which contained a number of
                >NYC
                > > marker lamps among other stuff. The door always seemed to be open. I
                >can't
                > > easily put my fingers on a photo of the interior of that tower but they
                > > exist, as well as some postcards showing the signal tower and parts of
                >the
                > > plant.
                > >
                > > Paul
                > >
                > > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                > > >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                > > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
                > > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:40:42 -0500
                > > >
                > > >Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation
                >for a
                > > >tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods
                >for
                > > >operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this
                > > >location?
                > > >
                > > >Paul
                > > >
                > > >Saul Kalbfeld wrote:
                > > >
                > > > > From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
                > > > >
                > > > > #4 On left side of frame FJ&G corrugated engine shed, built mid
                >'70's
                > > > > note track.
                > > > > #6 In foreground site of FJ&G turntable.
                > > > > #8 In foreground foundation of NYC tool and line shed.
                > > > > #9 Colonial Restaurant (Porky's) My parents took us to dinner here
                > > > > on Sundays. We always sat by that window so I could watch the trains
                > > > > 1947-1953.
                > > > > #10 Mkt site of depot
                > > > > #15 Lot site of REA office
                > > > > #19-22 Rear of Agway Farm and Feed store. I have many pix of this
                >from
                > > > > better days.
                > > > > #24-26 Mohawk Valley Democrat. Built model of this 20 yrs ago.
                > > > > #26 Empty lot is where adjoining building stood until 1980??
                > > > > #32 Parking lot is site of NYC freighthouse. Burned about 1950???
                > > > > Saul
                > > > >
                > > > >
                >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > > > > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                > > > > as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                > > > > Apply NOW!
                > > > > http://click.egroups.com/1/975/1/_/562133/_/951961988/
                > > > >
                >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > > > >
                > > > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                > > > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                > > >
                > >
                > > ______________________________________________________
                > > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
                > >
                > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > > PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
                > > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
                > > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
                > > Apply NOW!
                > > http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/1/_/562133/_/951970175/
                > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                > >
                > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                >

                ______________________________________________________
                Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
              • Paul Charland
                Hi Paul, Wouldn t mind seeing it if you can find it, I m thinking the rods would have had to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hi Paul,

                  Wouldn't mind seeing it if you can find it, I'm thinking the rods would have had
                  to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was there one there
                  at one time?

                  Paul

                  paul larner wrote:

                  > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                  >
                  > If I can locate a photo or postcard I'll put it up. I was looking at the
                  > Sanborn's for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal and
                  > Car Inspector's Shop. This was an oblong building a bit longer than the
                  > signal tower. West of this was a small square structure which I can't
                  > identify from the notes.
                  >
                  > Paul
                  >
                  > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                  > >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                  > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                  > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
                  > >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:19:28 -0500
                  > >
                  > >Hi Paul,
                  > >
                  > >Thought that's what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove it.
                  > >
                  > >Paul
                  > >
                  > >paul larner wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                  > > >
                  > > > Years ago there was an interlocking plant at the west crossing in Fonda.
                  > > > The tower stood just west of the crossing on the south side. There was
                  > >a
                  > > > brick tool or oil house there in later years which contained a number of
                  > >NYC
                  > > > marker lamps among other stuff. The door always seemed to be open. I
                  > >can't
                  > > > easily put my fingers on a photo of the interior of that tower but they
                  > > > exist, as well as some postcards showing the signal tower and parts of
                  > >the
                  > > > plant.
                  > > >
                  > > > Paul
                  > > >
                  > > > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                  > > > >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                  > > > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                  > > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
                  > > > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:40:42 -0500
                  > > > >
                  > > > >Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation
                  > >for a
                  > > > >tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods
                  > >for
                  > > > >operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this
                  > > > >location?
                  > > > >
                  > > > >Paul
                  > > > >
                  > > > >Saul Kalbfeld wrote:
                  > > > >
                  > > > > > From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
                  > > > > >
                  > > > > > #4 On left side of frame FJ&G corrugated engine shed, built mid
                  > >'70's
                  > > > > > note track.
                  > > > > > #6 In foreground site of FJ&G turntable.
                  > > > > > #8 In foreground foundation of NYC tool and line shed.
                  > > > > > #9 Colonial Restaurant (Porky's) My parents took us to dinner here
                  > > > > > on Sundays. We always sat by that window so I could watch the trains
                  > > > > > 1947-1953.
                  > > > > > #10 Mkt site of depot
                  > > > > > #15 Lot site of REA office
                  > > > > > #19-22 Rear of Agway Farm and Feed store. I have many pix of this
                  > >from
                  > > > > > better days.
                  > > > > > #24-26 Mohawk Valley Democrat. Built model of this 20 yrs ago.
                  > > > > > #26 Empty lot is where adjoining building stood until 1980??
                  > > > > > #32 Parking lot is site of NYC freighthouse. Burned about 1950???
                  > > > > > Saul
                  > > > > >
                  > > > > >
                  > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > > > > > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                  > > > > > as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                  > > > > > Apply NOW!
                  > > > > > http://click.egroups.com/1/975/1/_/562133/_/951961988/
                  > > > > >
                  > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > > > > >
                  > > > > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                  > > > > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                  > > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > ______________________________________________________
                  > > > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
                  > > >
                  > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > > > PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
                  > > > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
                  > > > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
                  > > > Apply NOW!
                  > > > http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/1/_/562133/_/951970175/
                  > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > > >
                  > > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                  > > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                  > >
                  >
                  > ______________________________________________________
                  > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
                  >
                  > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  > DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
                  > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
                  > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
                  > Apply NOW!
                  > http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/1/_/562133/_/952050028/
                  > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  >
                  > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                  > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                • paul larner
                  There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an 1891 copy of
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                  • 0 Attachment
                    There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an
                    eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an
                    1891 copy of the Fonda Sanborn's. The pictures are in Bill Gordon's FJ&G
                    book, two of them. Both later than 1891, the earlier on doesn't show a
                    signal bridge, the later one does but has only two signal masts, which
                    appear not to be home signals.

                    For those who are following the location of Saul's picture No 118 look in
                    Dave Nestle's book page 48 (you'll have to count for yourself) top left
                    corner - there's the tool house in relation to the carhouse. The buildings
                    appear to be on that stub of a street opposite the Broad street crossing.

                    PKL


                    >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                    >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                    >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                    >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
                    >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 21:27:35 -0500
                    >
                    >Hi Paul,
                    >
                    >Wouldn't mind seeing it if you can find it, I'm thinking the rods would
                    >have had
                    >to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was there one
                    >there
                    >at one time?
                    >
                    >Paul
                    >
                    >paul larner wrote:
                    >
                    > > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                    > >
                    > > If I can locate a photo or postcard I'll put it up. I was looking at
                    >the
                    > > Sanborn's for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal
                    >and
                    > > Car Inspector's Shop. This was an oblong building a bit longer than the
                    > > signal tower. West of this was a small square structure which I can't
                    > > identify from the notes.
                    > >
                    > > Paul
                    > >
                    > > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                    > > >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                    > > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                    > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
                    > > >Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 07:19:28 -0500
                    > > >
                    > > >Hi Paul,
                    > > >
                    > > >Thought that's what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove
                    >it.
                    > > >
                    > > >Paul
                    > > >
                    > > >paul larner wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Years ago there was an interlocking plant at the west crossing in
                    >Fonda.
                    > > > > The tower stood just west of the crossing on the south side. There
                    >was
                    > > >a
                    > > > > brick tool or oil house there in later years which contained a
                    >number of
                    > > >NYC
                    > > > > marker lamps among other stuff. The door always seemed to be open.
                    >I
                    > > >can't
                    > > > > easily put my fingers on a photo of the interior of that tower but
                    >they
                    > > > > exist, as well as some postcards showing the signal tower and parts
                    >of
                    > > >the
                    > > > > plant.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Paul
                    > > > >
                    > > > > >From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                    > > > > >Reply-To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                    > > > > >To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
                    > > > > >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos
                    > > > > >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:40:42 -0500
                    > > > > >
                    > > > > >Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a
                    >foundation
                    > > >for a
                    > > > > >tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control
                    >rods
                    > > >for
                    > > > > >operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this
                    > > > > >location?
                    > > > > >
                    > > > > >Paul
                    > > > > >
                    > > > > >Saul Kalbfeld wrote:
                    > > > > >
                    > > > > > > From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
                    > > > > > >
                    > > > > > > #4 On left side of frame FJ&G corrugated engine shed, built mid
                    > > >'70's
                    > > > > > > note track.
                    > > > > > > #6 In foreground site of FJ&G turntable.
                    > > > > > > #8 In foreground foundation of NYC tool and line shed.
                    > > > > > > #9 Colonial Restaurant (Porky's) My parents took us to dinner
                    >here
                    > > > > > > on Sundays. We always sat by that window so I could watch the
                    >trains
                    > > > > > > 1947-1953.
                    > > > > > > #10 Mkt site of depot
                    > > > > > > #15 Lot site of REA office
                    > > > > > > #19-22 Rear of Agway Farm and Feed store. I have many pix of
                    >this
                    > > >from
                    > > > > > > better days.
                    > > > > > > #24-26 Mohawk Valley Democrat. Built model of this 20 yrs ago.
                    > > > > > > #26 Empty lot is where adjoining building stood until 1980??
                    > > > > > > #32 Parking lot is site of NYC freighthouse. Burned about
                    >1950???
                    > > > > > > Saul
                    > > > > > >
                    > > > > > >
                    > >
                    > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > > > > > > GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                    > > > > > > as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                    > > > > > > Apply NOW!
                    > > > > > > http://click.egroups.com/1/975/1/_/562133/_/951961988/
                    > > > > > >
                    > >
                    > >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > > > > > >
                    > > > > > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                    > > > > > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                    > > > > >
                    > > > >
                    > > > > ______________________________________________________
                    > > > > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
                    > > > >
                    > > > >
                    >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > > > > PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
                    > > > > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
                    > > > > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
                    > > > > Apply NOW!
                    > > > > http://click.egroups.com/1/2121/1/_/562133/_/951970175/
                    > > > >
                    >------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                    > > > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                    > > >
                    > >
                    > > ______________________________________________________
                    > > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
                    > >
                    > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > > DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
                    > > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
                    > > 0.0% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
                    > > Apply NOW!
                    > > http://click.egroups.com/1/2120/1/_/562133/_/952050028/
                    > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    > >
                    > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                    > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                    >

                    ______________________________________________________
                    Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
                  • Glenn Williams
                    Here s some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are from the 50s and 60s. By
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 15, 2000
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Here's some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the
                      Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are
                      from the '50s and '60s. By the way, 2000 was the 150th anniversary
                      of Fonda's founding.

                      # 1: From the left, NYC Tracks 2 and 1, with blank roadbed where
                      Track 3 was removed. Track 4 and the yard track are in the center,
                      with the FJ&G main to the right of the poles. At about this
                      location, a crossover went from the yard track to Track 4, allowing
                      NYC locals to regain the main. This crossover was later relocated
                      closer to the Fonda yard (see picture #34), after SS 16 was closed.
                      The yard track continued west for some distance, to Spencer's Coal
                      yard, and was used at that location for dormitory cars during the
                      construction of the FE (Fonda East) and FW (Fonda West) interlockings
                      in the early '50s.

                      # 2: The footings shown were for manually controlling the crossover
                      mentioned above from the SS 16 tower just behind the photographer.
                      When SS 16 was moved to the new 2nd story of the Fonda depot, the
                      crossover was controlled electrically from there.

                      # 3: From the right of the corrugated enginehouse, the two low
                      buildings were for the Socony Vacuum (later Socony Mobil and then
                      just Mobil) plant. The white building at the right is rear of the
                      Fonda Post Office, built in the early 60's.

                      # 5: The Fonda P.O. is at the left, with Sarris' Restaurant at the
                      right, with the turntable site between. The P.O. is on the site of
                      the building shown in our Files as ICC picture #2.

                      # 6: From the left - the Central Garage, for years a Chevy dealer-
                      ship, was white in colour; it was also a Gulf station. Next, a
                      residence turned into a movie theatre (in the late '40s), with a
                      Grange Hall on the 2nd floor; subsequently one of Johnny Morford's
                      antique dealerships. Next, mansard-roofed rooming house. Last,
                      Fonda Methodist Church.

                      # 7: Actually, there are three buildings here: Sarris' Restaurant
                      on the left, the Shell garage in the middle, and the Colonial
                      Restaurant on the right.

                      # 8: The market is on the site of the NYC's Fonda depot. For an
                      earlier picture of this location, see
                      <http://www.rootsweb.com/~nymontgo/mohawk/fondacards.html>.
                      Foundation of old SS 16 is in foreground.

                      # 9: Originally the site of the Hotel Roy, later the Colonial
                      Restaurant, whose entrance was on the Main Street side. The switch
                      is where the FJ&G main leaves the yard track. It was a manual switch
                      not controlled by SS 16.

                      # 10: From left to right - Central National Bank. The Wagon Wheel,
                      a soda fountain and newsstand, with a tailor shop over. The hotel
                      (whose name escapes me) had awnings on the 2nd and 3rd floors; a cab
                      company later shared the ground floor with the bar and grill. The
                      one-story building is the Frothingham Free Library, originally in a
                      taller building destroyed by fire; one of the two buildings
                      originally here was, I believe, Wyman's Drug Store. The car in the
                      foreground is where the west leg of the Fonda's line wye ended.

                      # 11: From left to right in the background - the Corning Davis
                      Store, whose awning/canopy was not original. See #5, above, for
                      another view. The Stewart's is located on the site of a small lot
                      between the Davis building and of a large three-story building (now
                      the Stewart's parking lot). For years it housed a State Police
                      substation, the Fonda Post Office, and other businesses I cannot now
                      recall. See page 110 (top) of Randy Decker's book.

                      # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a restaurant
                      on the ground floor. The entrance was much different than that shown.

                      # 17: This is the rear of one of several business buildings between
                      the NYC property and the Agway (nee GLF) buildings. These buildings,
                      including the Agway, were demolished early in '98 and the newest
                      Fonda P.O. erected on the site.

                      # 18: The trailer-on-flat-car at the right is on the siding which
                      served the GLF.

                      # 19: See #17.

                      # 23: The gas station behind and to the left of the pickup truck was
                      originally the site of the Hands' Lunch diner.

                      # 25: Just behind the Mohawk Valley Democrat building, at the orange
                      sign, was a smallish structure for the grade crossing guard, there
                      because of the nearby school.

                      # 28: The houses were in various stages of disrepair as you go back
                      in time.

                      # 32: The red building originally had a store at street level. The
                      Zion Episcopal Church across the street has been unused since the
                      early '30s. Freight depot actually was at right edge of picture.

                      # 34: Gas station and retaining wall were new in the '60s, after the
                      freight depot burned. The building was leased by the NYC to a
                      private party, who filled it with wax-covered containers. The fire
                      took down the Mohawk Division wires on adjacent poles, putting it in
                      a bit of a fix for a while. See Gino's web site for a partial
                      picture of the site.

                      While I have pictures squirreled away for a lot of this, my memory
                      may be faulty. Let me know of any errors and omissions offline and
                      I'll repost this list.

                      Glenn
                    • Glenn Williams
                      ... than that shown. ... Actually, it was Maze s Hotel . There was an external neon sign, mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
                        wrote:
                        > [snip]
                        >
                        > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
                        > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
                        than that shown.
                        >
                        > [snip]

                        Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
                        mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
                        DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.

                        Glenn
                      • Paul Charland
                        Hi Glenn, Thanks for the correction, I ll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of information. Paul :-)
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hi Glenn,

                          Thanks for the correction, I'll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of
                          information.

                          Paul :-)

                          Glenn Williams wrote:

                          > --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
                          > wrote:
                          > > [snip]
                          > >
                          > > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
                          > > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
                          > than that shown.
                          > >
                          > > [snip]
                          >
                          > Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
                          > mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
                          > DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.
                          >
                          > Glenn
                          >
                          >
                          > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                          > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                          >
                          > Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation At http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/
                          >
                          > Visit The Site For Existing Railroad Stations
                          > in New York State at
                          > http://ny.existingstations.com/
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.