Re: [FJGRailroad] Amtrak Derailment

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
      Paul-It wasnt Mike that was the engineer,was it? Mark
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
        Hmm. That I have no knowledge of. What bothers me is - when the head of
        the rail breaks off, how much more from that batch is also in danger of
        breaking off. Wouldn't be a surprise if a Sperry type vehicle made a trip
        or two over that rail.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
          No. It was Wodowski (sp). I know him only as Woody. He is from Buffalo so
          don't meet those fellows too often, except to swap trains at Syracuse.

          PKL

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
            Where was that big derailment last year where there was a fire?
            That was in Rochester!

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
              Are those Sperry Cars heavy?

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                Sperry car weighs 75 tons more or less.

                Paul you are exactly correct. When a bad rail is found they look to see what
                ingot it came from. With welded rail it is a little different but there is a
                serial number to trace it back to the ingot. The question is was that ingot
                a bad batch (an oversimplification).

                There are rails that break because of the service they are in and there are
                breaks that occur because of imperfections in the rail.

                A bolt hole fracture is a field problem usualy caused by improper support of
                the joint by ties, or the ties are there but the sub grade has failed
                resulting in pumping action and the BHF. The latter almost always involves
                water.

                Vertical split heads are an example of a problem with the metal itself.
                Some imperfection is in there causing the head to split. More dangerous is
                when you have a head and web seperation because you don't see it until it
                fails unless you have a Sperry car go over it. The the whole length of rail
                can fail all at one time and something will go on the ground.

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                  No.

                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                    Sounds to me that the Sperry Car did find a defect on Saturday morning.
                    Mark
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                      That was probably the most documented derailment, at least as far as from
                      the train is concerned, in history. The train was an FRA test train. They
                      were testing the dynamics of a particular car type for use on trains 48 and
                      49. They weren't testing the rail, rather the characterics of the car as it
                      moved over the road at various speeds.

                      PKL

                      >From: mwilber@...
                      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Amtrak Derailment
                      >Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:17:19 -0500 (EST)
                      >
                      >Sounds to me that the Sperry Car did find a defect on Saturday morning.
                      >Mark

                    • Lee Morelli
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 23, 2003
                        Been away alot and just got to this e-mail. Searched and found a newspaper from Newark, NY, but could not find anything about the derailment. Someone else may be able to search the site and find what I could not find.

                        Lee