Re: [FJGRailroad] Amtrak Derailment

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2002
      Don't know anything about it except it happened. Just arrived back from a
      21 1/2 hour stint to the Falls and back as a protect for one of the delayed
      trains but only know that no one was hurt and all the equipment is on the
      rail and in the Lyons yard tonight.

      Perhaps there is a Lyon NY newspaper on line that would have some info.

      PKL

    • mwilber@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
        Thanks Paul-Mark
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
          Mark,

          Confirmed today it was caused by a broken rail. The engineer did a super
          job by not dumping the train or hurriedly shutting off the throttle when
          told to stop, thereby keeping the cars in line and upright. Sixty three
          miles per hour. Very fortunate.

          PKL

        • mwilber@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
            Paul-I was told that it was about in the same spot where there was
            another derailment about a year ago. Mark
          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
              Paul-It wasnt Mike that was the engineer,was it? Mark
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                Hmm. That I have no knowledge of. What bothers me is - when the head of
                the rail breaks off, how much more from that batch is also in danger of
                breaking off. Wouldn't be a surprise if a Sperry type vehicle made a trip
                or two over that rail.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                  No. It was Wodowski (sp). I know him only as Woody. He is from Buffalo so
                  don't meet those fellows too often, except to swap trains at Syracuse.

                  PKL

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                    Where was that big derailment last year where there was a fire?
                    That was in Rochester!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                      Are those Sperry Cars heavy?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                        Sperry car weighs 75 tons more or less.

                        Paul you are exactly correct. When a bad rail is found they look to see what
                        ingot it came from. With welded rail it is a little different but there is a
                        serial number to trace it back to the ingot. The question is was that ingot
                        a bad batch (an oversimplification).

                        There are rails that break because of the service they are in and there are
                        breaks that occur because of imperfections in the rail.

                        A bolt hole fracture is a field problem usualy caused by improper support of
                        the joint by ties, or the ties are there but the sub grade has failed
                        resulting in pumping action and the BHF. The latter almost always involves
                        water.

                        Vertical split heads are an example of a problem with the metal itself.
                        Some imperfection is in there causing the head to split. More dangerous is
                        when you have a head and web seperation because you don't see it until it
                        fails unless you have a Sperry car go over it. The the whole length of rail
                        can fail all at one time and something will go on the ground.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                          No.

                        • mwilber@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                            Sounds to me that the Sperry Car did find a defect on Saturday morning.
                            Mark
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                              That was probably the most documented derailment, at least as far as from
                              the train is concerned, in history. The train was an FRA test train. They
                              were testing the dynamics of a particular car type for use on trains 48 and
                              49. They weren't testing the rail, rather the characterics of the car as it
                              moved over the road at various speeds.

                              PKL

                              >From: mwilber@...
                              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Amtrak Derailment
                              >Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:17:19 -0500 (EST)
                              >
                              >Sounds to me that the Sperry Car did find a defect on Saturday morning.
                              >Mark

                            • Lee Morelli
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 23, 2003
                                Been away alot and just got to this e-mail. Searched and found a newspaper from Newark, NY, but could not find anything about the derailment. Someone else may be able to search the site and find what I could not find.

                                Lee