Amtrak Derailment

  • mwilber@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2002
      Lou & Paul-Any of guys know much about the derailment of a Amtrak test
      train that ended up down an embankment in Rochester yesterday morning?
      Mark
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 15, 2002
        Don't know anything about it except it happened. Just arrived back from a
        21 1/2 hour stint to the Falls and back as a protect for one of the delayed
        trains but only know that no one was hurt and all the equipment is on the
        rail and in the Lyons yard tonight.

        Perhaps there is a Lyon NY newspaper on line that would have some info.

        PKL

      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
          Thanks Paul-Mark
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
            Mark,

            Confirmed today it was caused by a broken rail. The engineer did a super
            job by not dumping the train or hurriedly shutting off the throttle when
            told to stop, thereby keeping the cars in line and upright. Sixty three
            miles per hour. Very fortunate.

            PKL

          • mwilber@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
              Paul-I was told that it was about in the same spot where there was
              another derailment about a year ago. Mark
            • mwilber@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                Paul-It wasnt Mike that was the engineer,was it? Mark
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                  Hmm. That I have no knowledge of. What bothers me is - when the head of
                  the rail breaks off, how much more from that batch is also in danger of
                  breaking off. Wouldn't be a surprise if a Sperry type vehicle made a trip
                  or two over that rail.

                  PKL

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                    No. It was Wodowski (sp). I know him only as Woody. He is from Buffalo so
                    don't meet those fellows too often, except to swap trains at Syracuse.

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                      Where was that big derailment last year where there was a fire?
                      That was in Rochester!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 16, 2002
                        Are those Sperry Cars heavy?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                          Sperry car weighs 75 tons more or less.

                          Paul you are exactly correct. When a bad rail is found they look to see what
                          ingot it came from. With welded rail it is a little different but there is a
                          serial number to trace it back to the ingot. The question is was that ingot
                          a bad batch (an oversimplification).

                          There are rails that break because of the service they are in and there are
                          breaks that occur because of imperfections in the rail.

                          A bolt hole fracture is a field problem usualy caused by improper support of
                          the joint by ties, or the ties are there but the sub grade has failed
                          resulting in pumping action and the BHF. The latter almost always involves
                          water.

                          Vertical split heads are an example of a problem with the metal itself.
                          Some imperfection is in there causing the head to split. More dangerous is
                          when you have a head and web seperation because you don't see it until it
                          fails unless you have a Sperry car go over it. The the whole length of rail
                          can fail all at one time and something will go on the ground.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                            No.

                          • mwilber@webtv.net
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                              Sounds to me that the Sperry Car did find a defect on Saturday morning.
                              Mark
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 17, 2002
                                That was probably the most documented derailment, at least as far as from
                                the train is concerned, in history. The train was an FRA test train. They
                                were testing the dynamics of a particular car type for use on trains 48 and
                                49. They weren't testing the rail, rather the characterics of the car as it
                                moved over the road at various speeds.

                                PKL

                                >From: mwilber@...
                                >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Amtrak Derailment
                                >Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 22:17:19 -0500 (EST)
                                >
                                >Sounds to me that the Sperry Car did find a defect on Saturday morning.
                                >Mark

                              • Lee Morelli
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 23, 2003
                                  Been away alot and just got to this e-mail. Searched and found a newspaper from Newark, NY, but could not find anything about the derailment. Someone else may be able to search the site and find what I could not find.

                                  Lee