Re: [FJGRailroad] Remembering Downtown

  • Stephen G. Myers
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
      Gino,

      It must be the snow on the ground and the Christmas lights, but at
      this time every year I remember (miss) the hustling bustling downtown
      Schenectady. My mother would drag me from store to store, the windows
      would be animated with reindeer and Santa, the sidewalks would be snowy,
      church bells and salvation Army kettles would chime out, and all the
      pretty Christmas lights would shine in the snowy evening. When I watch
      "Miracle On 34TH Street", or hear "Downtown", or "City Sidewalks" on the
      radio, I am taken back to Schenectady, New York in the 1960's.

      Steve

      .
      .
      On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:26:52 -0600 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
      writes:
      > That special was great Paul!!! It did show some Albany and
      > Schenectady
      > Trolleys which was nice. I also got to see all my favorite stores
      > from
      > Downtown Schenectady. Carl's, Wallace's, Grants, Kresgis and
      > Woolworth!
      > To see the inside of Carl Company again was a treat...
      >
      > Gino

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
        Steve,

        After the Schenectady Christmas Parade, all the stores would be open late
        and we would go look at the window displays. The Carl Company would try
        to out do their window display, which were always great! Carls also had
        the best Santa in their toy department! Do you remember the peanut store
        that was just a few doors down from Carls? You'd walk by there and smell
        the roasted nuts and Mr. Peanut would be standing out front with free
        samples! Christmas was a great time in Downtown Schenectady! It's just not
        the same
        walking around the freak show at Rotterdam Square Mall!

      • choochoo1802@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
          Gino-Can you unsubscribe me from the group with this email address? I'll
          keep my other address , I dont need two for the group.Be careful there
          is another choo-choo with the group. Thanks Mark Wilber