RE: [FJGRailroad] Bell

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
      Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
      and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
      Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
      grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
      I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
      at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
      the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
        Yes. The bell is required to be rung anywhere persons may be working and
        before the locomotive moves.

        Sometime in 1964 or '65 one of the diesels was on the ground in the NYC
        Fonda yard and I was underneath placing steel plates on the shims
        preparatory to rolling it up to the rail. Percy Daniels sounded the engine
        bell by hand as a joke. Let me tell you I came out of there like a shot and
        a bit righteous when I found out it was a prank. He found out I understood
        that rule. Everyone had a laugh but I wasn't ready to laugh at myself. All
        I could think of was one of those plates taking off like a tiddly-wink and
        me in the way.

        For anyone interested: Carl Loucks has FJ&G ETT No. 85 April 1947 for sale
        in this months listing, $30.00. his eMail address is:
        ct.direct.mail@...

        PKL

        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
        >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Bell
        >Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 19:51:22 -0600
        >
        >Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
        >and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
        >Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
        >grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
        >I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
        >at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
        >the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?
        >
        >Gino

      • Dick Ryall
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
          I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
          steam types?????
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 7, 2002
            Heated engine houses, heated water tanks, motion and heat supplied to the
            tender from the engine boiler. When the Northville roundhouse burned to the
            ground this was a big concern by the management. They quickly erected a
            shed, but in the meantime the engine was run to Gloversville. The round
            house we all recognize as the Northville one is likely that shed. The one
            that burned had two stalls.

            PKL

            >From: Dick Ryall <dryall@...>
            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Bell
            >Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:27:15 -0700
            >
            >I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
            >steam types?????

          • Robert Schoneman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
              I am currently in a e mail tag with the owner of the property, who is currently doing the renovation. What date and time is your get together again, maybe I can ask for special showing for you all; or make him aware of your interest. He was/is aware of the FJ&G group.

              I plan on donating back to him the pic of FJ&G 200 in front of the station.

              I'd like to know your date and plans, asap so I can arrange something for you whilst I'm writing to him.

              Bob Schoneman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
                Bob,

                I have contacted Willem, rather he has contacted me, and am presently
                exploring options for the 7th. He has arranged a tour commencing at 1 pm
                and designation ceremony at 4 pm followed in the evening at 7pm by a dance
                concert in the Park, perhaps ala the style of the Inn in other times.

                If he can have us, the agenda may change to include this affair. Each year
                we have gone up there to see the progress, not to mention enjoy the food and
                scenery at the Pub. Perhaps this will be the fulfillment of our previous
                inspections.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
                  This is from the Hamilton County News...

                  Cottage plan being abandoned
                  By CRAIG CLARK

                  Special to the News

                  NORTHAMPTON-Citing rising property taxes hindering the real estate
                  market, the developer working on a proposed 15-unit residential
                  development in Sacandaga Park here has changed his plans for a series
                  of cottages and is now selling off the land.

                  'It's basically a change of plans,' said developer Willem Monster,
                  owner of the 10-acre plot referred to as Sacandaga Station. 'The
                  property taxes are basically destroying market.'

                  While Monster says he won't build the cottages as he planned, he
                  expects the Sacandaga Station project will still come to fruition much
                  as he originally envisioned.

                  The property was once owned by Fonda-Johnstown-Gloversville (FJ&G)
                  Railroad. The recently restored station building itself, built in 1922
                  during the height of Sacandaga Park's 'amusement park period', is
                  considered the jewel of the property.

                  Monster planned to begin construction on a series of four-season
                  cottages this summer with the station as the centerpiece. Eventually
                  the development would have included 15 units.

                  ZONING CHANGED

                  In recent months his plans brought him before the Northampton Town
                  Board seeking an amendment to the zoning law. The council amended the
                  law in June, allowing Monster's proposal to proceed as he planned.

                  Previously, through some oversight when the law was originally
                  crafted, town officials say, Northampton zoning prohibited residential
                  structures from being built on Route 30's commercially zoned land.
                  Town planners recently discovered the prohibition, prompting the need
                  for the amendment for Monster.

                  But now Monster said his market research indicates that should he
                  construct the cottages they wouldn't sell. He blames a large number of
                  homes and cottages around the lake already for sale. The availability
                  of older homes would make the sale of his new cottages difficult, he
                  added.

                  'If we built the houses we'd get stuck with them,' Monster said. 'And
                  that's what the realtors say-it's a tough sell.'

                  He blames unfunded state mandates and the resulting rise in property
                  taxes as the reason so many homes are for sale in the area.

                  LOTS BEING SOLD

                  Monster said he put 10 lots of his Sacandaga Station parcel up for
                  sale the last week of June. The lots, including three lakefront
                  parcels, vary from a quarter-acre to a half-acre in size.

                  Monster said while he's not building the cottages himself he expects
                  to influence the construction plans of those who purchase his lots.

                  'We want to maintain a cottage style of housing,' he said, adding that
                  the summer resort atmosphere Sacandaga Station is known for will be
                  maintained.

                  Monster said he also intends to pursue businesses wishing to locate in the area.

                  'We're looking at bringing in more businesses,' he said, adding that
                  he intends to seek assistance on the business end from Fulton County
                  Economic Development Corporation.

                  --
                  www.ginosrailpage.com
                  www.fjgrr.org
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
                    Does anyone know how to reach this guy?

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
                      Yes.... :-)

                      EtekDesign Corporation, Inc.
                      A. Willem Monster
                      373 Bunker Hill Road
                      Mayfield, NY 12117
                      518-863-2860
                      Fax:518-863-2860
                      Email : willem@...
                      Http://www.etekdesign.com
                      *INTERNET TECHNOLOGY CREATIVELY APPLIED* We provide both computer &
                      internet services including connecting devices to the internet, network
                      design, WEB Site, & Graphics Interface Design.