Re: [FJGRailroad] Bell

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
      The bell is a noise maker to call attention to the locomotive. I can't
      recall the first known use of a bell on a locomotive but I believe it
      preceded the use of whistles. Of course early locomotives didn't require
      the transmitting of a warning over the distances available to the chime of a
      whistle, the bell thus being sufficient.

      Surprisingly the sound of the bell does carry quite well in close range.

      Debate has been had about the rule requiring use of the bell with the
      whistle when approaching highway crossings at grade, simply because it isn't
      heard. But in yards and around workers and pedestrians the bell is an
      excellent alert to the movement or imminent movement of a locomotive. Use of
      the bell in tunnels is also an adequate warning of the approach of a
      locomotive.

      Station bells were used to announce the arrival and/or pending departure of
      the trains. Fonda (NYC&HRR), Gloversville and Sacandaga Park had bells. No
      record I have seen indicates there was a bell used in Gloversville after the
      brick station was built, and don't recall reference to a bell used in
      conjunction with other stations on the FJ&G. The locomotive whistle is
      mentioned as being used to announce trains at Northville. Kingsboro,
      Mayfield and Cranberry Creek had similar, if not identical stations, until
      the addition was added to the south end of the Mayfield station, with no
      references to bells having been used.

      The use of station bells was widespread. I have seen photos of them used on
      stations in Colorado in the penultimate century. Wasn't there a bell used at
      the station in Petticoat Junction?

      PKL

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
        Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
        and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
        Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
        grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
        I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
        at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
        the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
          Yes. The bell is required to be rung anywhere persons may be working and
          before the locomotive moves.

          Sometime in 1964 or '65 one of the diesels was on the ground in the NYC
          Fonda yard and I was underneath placing steel plates on the shims
          preparatory to rolling it up to the rail. Percy Daniels sounded the engine
          bell by hand as a joke. Let me tell you I came out of there like a shot and
          a bit righteous when I found out it was a prank. He found out I understood
          that rule. Everyone had a laugh but I wasn't ready to laugh at myself. All
          I could think of was one of those plates taking off like a tiddly-wink and
          me in the way.

          For anyone interested: Carl Loucks has FJ&G ETT No. 85 April 1947 for sale
          in this months listing, $30.00. his eMail address is:
          ct.direct.mail@...

          PKL

          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
          >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Bell
          >Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 19:51:22 -0600
          >
          >Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
          >and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
          >Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
          >grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
          >I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
          >at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
          >the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?
          >
          >Gino

        • Dick Ryall
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
            I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
            steam types?????
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 7, 2002
              Heated engine houses, heated water tanks, motion and heat supplied to the
              tender from the engine boiler. When the Northville roundhouse burned to the
              ground this was a big concern by the management. They quickly erected a
              shed, but in the meantime the engine was run to Gloversville. The round
              house we all recognize as the Northville one is likely that shed. The one
              that burned had two stalls.

              PKL

              >From: Dick Ryall <dryall@...>
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Bell
              >Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:27:15 -0700
              >
              >I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
              >steam types?????

            • Robert Schoneman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
                I am currently in a e mail tag with the owner of the property, who is currently doing the renovation. What date and time is your get together again, maybe I can ask for special showing for you all; or make him aware of your interest. He was/is aware of the FJ&G group.

                I plan on donating back to him the pic of FJ&G 200 in front of the station.

                I'd like to know your date and plans, asap so I can arrange something for you whilst I'm writing to him.

                Bob Schoneman
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
                  Bob,

                  I have contacted Willem, rather he has contacted me, and am presently
                  exploring options for the 7th. He has arranged a tour commencing at 1 pm
                  and designation ceremony at 4 pm followed in the evening at 7pm by a dance
                  concert in the Park, perhaps ala the style of the Inn in other times.

                  If he can have us, the agenda may change to include this affair. Each year
                  we have gone up there to see the progress, not to mention enjoy the food and
                  scenery at the Pub. Perhaps this will be the fulfillment of our previous
                  inspections.

                  PKL

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
                    This is from the Hamilton County News...

                    Cottage plan being abandoned
                    By CRAIG CLARK

                    Special to the News

                    NORTHAMPTON-Citing rising property taxes hindering the real estate
                    market, the developer working on a proposed 15-unit residential
                    development in Sacandaga Park here has changed his plans for a series
                    of cottages and is now selling off the land.

                    'It's basically a change of plans,' said developer Willem Monster,
                    owner of the 10-acre plot referred to as Sacandaga Station. 'The
                    property taxes are basically destroying market.'

                    While Monster says he won't build the cottages as he planned, he
                    expects the Sacandaga Station project will still come to fruition much
                    as he originally envisioned.

                    The property was once owned by Fonda-Johnstown-Gloversville (FJ&G)
                    Railroad. The recently restored station building itself, built in 1922
                    during the height of Sacandaga Park's 'amusement park period', is
                    considered the jewel of the property.

                    Monster planned to begin construction on a series of four-season
                    cottages this summer with the station as the centerpiece. Eventually
                    the development would have included 15 units.

                    ZONING CHANGED

                    In recent months his plans brought him before the Northampton Town
                    Board seeking an amendment to the zoning law. The council amended the
                    law in June, allowing Monster's proposal to proceed as he planned.

                    Previously, through some oversight when the law was originally
                    crafted, town officials say, Northampton zoning prohibited residential
                    structures from being built on Route 30's commercially zoned land.
                    Town planners recently discovered the prohibition, prompting the need
                    for the amendment for Monster.

                    But now Monster said his market research indicates that should he
                    construct the cottages they wouldn't sell. He blames a large number of
                    homes and cottages around the lake already for sale. The availability
                    of older homes would make the sale of his new cottages difficult, he
                    added.

                    'If we built the houses we'd get stuck with them,' Monster said. 'And
                    that's what the realtors say-it's a tough sell.'

                    He blames unfunded state mandates and the resulting rise in property
                    taxes as the reason so many homes are for sale in the area.

                    LOTS BEING SOLD

                    Monster said he put 10 lots of his Sacandaga Station parcel up for
                    sale the last week of June. The lots, including three lakefront
                    parcels, vary from a quarter-acre to a half-acre in size.

                    Monster said while he's not building the cottages himself he expects
                    to influence the construction plans of those who purchase his lots.

                    'We want to maintain a cottage style of housing,' he said, adding that
                    the summer resort atmosphere Sacandaga Station is known for will be
                    maintained.

                    Monster said he also intends to pursue businesses wishing to locate in the area.

                    'We're looking at bringing in more businesses,' he said, adding that
                    he intends to seek assistance on the business end from Fulton County
                    Economic Development Corporation.

                    --
                    www.ginosrailpage.com
                    www.fjgrr.org
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
                      Does anyone know how to reach this guy?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
                        Yes.... :-)

                        EtekDesign Corporation, Inc.
                        A. Willem Monster
                        373 Bunker Hill Road
                        Mayfield, NY 12117
                        518-863-2860
                        Fax:518-863-2860
                        Email : willem@...
                        Http://www.etekdesign.com
                        *INTERNET TECHNOLOGY CREATIVELY APPLIED* We provide both computer &
                        internet services including connecting devices to the internet, network
                        design, WEB Site, & Graphics Interface Design.