RE: [FJGRailroad] Remembering Downtown

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
      That special was great Paul!!! It did show some Albany and Schenectady
      Trolleys which was nice. I also got to see all my favorite stores from
      Downtown Schenectady. Carl's, Wallace's, Grants, Kresgis and Woolworth!
      To see the inside of Carl Company again was a treat...

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
        Gino,

        It must be the snow on the ground and the Christmas lights, but at
        this time every year I remember (miss) the hustling bustling downtown
        Schenectady. My mother would drag me from store to store, the windows
        would be animated with reindeer and Santa, the sidewalks would be snowy,
        church bells and salvation Army kettles would chime out, and all the
        pretty Christmas lights would shine in the snowy evening. When I watch
        "Miracle On 34TH Street", or hear "Downtown", or "City Sidewalks" on the
        radio, I am taken back to Schenectady, New York in the 1960's.

        Steve

        .
        .
        On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:26:52 -0600 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
        writes:
        > That special was great Paul!!! It did show some Albany and
        > Schenectady
        > Trolleys which was nice. I also got to see all my favorite stores
        > from
        > Downtown Schenectady. Carl's, Wallace's, Grants, Kresgis and
        > Woolworth!
        > To see the inside of Carl Company again was a treat...
        >
        > Gino

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
          Steve,

          After the Schenectady Christmas Parade, all the stores would be open late
          and we would go look at the window displays. The Carl Company would try
          to out do their window display, which were always great! Carls also had
          the best Santa in their toy department! Do you remember the peanut store
          that was just a few doors down from Carls? You'd walk by there and smell
          the roasted nuts and Mr. Peanut would be standing out front with free
          samples! Christmas was a great time in Downtown Schenectady! It's just not
          the same
          walking around the freak show at Rotterdam Square Mall!

        • choochoo1802@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
            Gino-Can you unsubscribe me from the group with this email address? I'll
            keep my other address , I dont need two for the group.Be careful there
            is another choo-choo with the group. Thanks Mark Wilber