Re: Sacandaga Park

  • Glenn J. Williams
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
      > Hi guys,
      >
      > The guy who is restoring the
      > Sacandaga Park Station has
      > created a web-page with a
      > history of the station and
      > his plans for it's future.
      > Here is the link...
      > http://www.sacandagastation.com
      > [snip}
      > Gino

      Group,

      I've added the link to the Links section.

      Glenn
    • dowens15228
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a
        web-page
        > with a history of the station and his plans for it's future. (snip)

        Wow! Another thing to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

        Dan Owens
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 5, 2002
          And it will have a bell in the cupola.

          PKL

          >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
          >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Park
          >Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:25:21 -0500
          >
          >Hi guys,
          >
          >The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a web-page
          >with a history of the station and his plans for it's future. Here is the
          >link... http://www.sacandagastation.com
          >
          >Check it out! Also, he's wondering if anyone out there might have the
          >original plans for the station. His intention is to restore her to it's
          >original glory! Also, she is going to be put on the National Historic
          >Register which is great news!!!
          >
          >Gino

        • Dave Brennan
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 5, 2002

            Another dumb question, always embarassed to ask.     Why did locomotives have a bell and why do they still have them??

             paul larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

            And it will have a bell in the cupola.

            PKL

            >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
            >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Park
            >Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:25:21 -0500
            >
            >Hi guys,
            >
            >The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a web-page
            >with a history of the station and his plans for it's future.  Here is the
            >link... http://www.sacandagastation.com
            >
            >Check it out!  Also, he's wondering if anyone out there might have the
            >original plans for the station.  His intention is to restore her to it's
            >original glory!  Also, she is going to be put on the National Historic
            >Register which is great news!!!
            >
            >Gino

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Stephen G. Myers
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
              To call all the railroad buffs and let them know a train was in town!!!!
              .

               paul larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

              And it will have a bell in the cupola.

              PKL

              >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
              >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Park
              >Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:25:21 -0500
              >
              >Hi guys,
              >
              >The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a web-page
              >with a history of the station and his plans for it's future.  Here is the
              >link... http://www.sacandagastation.com
              >
              >Check it out!  Also, he's wondering if anyone out there might have the
              >original plans for the station.  His intention is to restore her to it's
              >original glory!  Also, she is going to be put on the National Historic
              >Register which is great news!!!
              >
              >Gino

              Do you Yahoo!?

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                The bell is a noise maker to call attention to the locomotive. I can't
                recall the first known use of a bell on a locomotive but I believe it
                preceded the use of whistles. Of course early locomotives didn't require
                the transmitting of a warning over the distances available to the chime of a
                whistle, the bell thus being sufficient.

                Surprisingly the sound of the bell does carry quite well in close range.

                Debate has been had about the rule requiring use of the bell with the
                whistle when approaching highway crossings at grade, simply because it isn't
                heard. But in yards and around workers and pedestrians the bell is an
                excellent alert to the movement or imminent movement of a locomotive. Use of
                the bell in tunnels is also an adequate warning of the approach of a
                locomotive.

                Station bells were used to announce the arrival and/or pending departure of
                the trains. Fonda (NYC&HRR), Gloversville and Sacandaga Park had bells. No
                record I have seen indicates there was a bell used in Gloversville after the
                brick station was built, and don't recall reference to a bell used in
                conjunction with other stations on the FJ&G. The locomotive whistle is
                mentioned as being used to announce trains at Northville. Kingsboro,
                Mayfield and Cranberry Creek had similar, if not identical stations, until
                the addition was added to the south end of the Mayfield station, with no
                references to bells having been used.

                The use of station bells was widespread. I have seen photos of them used on
                stations in Colorado in the penultimate century. Wasn't there a bell used at
                the station in Petticoat Junction?

                PKL

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                  Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
                  and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
                  Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
                  grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
                  I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
                  at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
                  the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                    Yes. The bell is required to be rung anywhere persons may be working and
                    before the locomotive moves.

                    Sometime in 1964 or '65 one of the diesels was on the ground in the NYC
                    Fonda yard and I was underneath placing steel plates on the shims
                    preparatory to rolling it up to the rail. Percy Daniels sounded the engine
                    bell by hand as a joke. Let me tell you I came out of there like a shot and
                    a bit righteous when I found out it was a prank. He found out I understood
                    that rule. Everyone had a laugh but I wasn't ready to laugh at myself. All
                    I could think of was one of those plates taking off like a tiddly-wink and
                    me in the way.

                    For anyone interested: Carl Loucks has FJ&G ETT No. 85 April 1947 for sale
                    in this months listing, $30.00. his eMail address is:
                    ct.direct.mail@...

                    PKL

                    >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                    >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Bell
                    >Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 19:51:22 -0600
                    >
                    >Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
                    >and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
                    >Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
                    >grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
                    >I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
                    >at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
                    >the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?
                    >
                    >Gino

                  • Dick Ryall
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                      I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
                      steam types?????
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 7, 2002
                        Heated engine houses, heated water tanks, motion and heat supplied to the
                        tender from the engine boiler. When the Northville roundhouse burned to the
                        ground this was a big concern by the management. They quickly erected a
                        shed, but in the meantime the engine was run to Gloversville. The round
                        house we all recognize as the Northville one is likely that shed. The one
                        that burned had two stalls.

                        PKL

                        >From: Dick Ryall <dryall@...>
                        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Bell
                        >Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:27:15 -0700
                        >
                        >I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
                        >steam types?????

                      • Robert Schoneman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
                          I am currently in a e mail tag with the owner of the property, who is currently doing the renovation. What date and time is your get together again, maybe I can ask for special showing for you all; or make him aware of your interest. He was/is aware of the FJ&G group.

                          I plan on donating back to him the pic of FJ&G 200 in front of the station.

                          I'd like to know your date and plans, asap so I can arrange something for you whilst I'm writing to him.

                          Bob Schoneman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
                            Bob,

                            I have contacted Willem, rather he has contacted me, and am presently
                            exploring options for the 7th. He has arranged a tour commencing at 1 pm
                            and designation ceremony at 4 pm followed in the evening at 7pm by a dance
                            concert in the Park, perhaps ala the style of the Inn in other times.

                            If he can have us, the agenda may change to include this affair. Each year
                            we have gone up there to see the progress, not to mention enjoy the food and
                            scenery at the Pub. Perhaps this will be the fulfillment of our previous
                            inspections.

                            PKL

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 13 4:57 PM
                              This is from the Hamilton County News...

                              Cottage plan being abandoned
                              By CRAIG CLARK

                              Special to the News

                              NORTHAMPTON-Citing rising property taxes hindering the real estate
                              market, the developer working on a proposed 15-unit residential
                              development in Sacandaga Park here has changed his plans for a series
                              of cottages and is now selling off the land.

                              'It's basically a change of plans,' said developer Willem Monster,
                              owner of the 10-acre plot referred to as Sacandaga Station. 'The
                              property taxes are basically destroying market.'

                              While Monster says he won't build the cottages as he planned, he
                              expects the Sacandaga Station project will still come to fruition much
                              as he originally envisioned.

                              The property was once owned by Fonda-Johnstown-Gloversville (FJ&G)
                              Railroad. The recently restored station building itself, built in 1922
                              during the height of Sacandaga Park's 'amusement park period', is
                              considered the jewel of the property.

                              Monster planned to begin construction on a series of four-season
                              cottages this summer with the station as the centerpiece. Eventually
                              the development would have included 15 units.

                              ZONING CHANGED

                              In recent months his plans brought him before the Northampton Town
                              Board seeking an amendment to the zoning law. The council amended the
                              law in June, allowing Monster's proposal to proceed as he planned.

                              Previously, through some oversight when the law was originally
                              crafted, town officials say, Northampton zoning prohibited residential
                              structures from being built on Route 30's commercially zoned land.
                              Town planners recently discovered the prohibition, prompting the need
                              for the amendment for Monster.

                              But now Monster said his market research indicates that should he
                              construct the cottages they wouldn't sell. He blames a large number of
                              homes and cottages around the lake already for sale. The availability
                              of older homes would make the sale of his new cottages difficult, he
                              added.

                              'If we built the houses we'd get stuck with them,' Monster said. 'And
                              that's what the realtors say-it's a tough sell.'

                              He blames unfunded state mandates and the resulting rise in property
                              taxes as the reason so many homes are for sale in the area.

                              LOTS BEING SOLD

                              Monster said he put 10 lots of his Sacandaga Station parcel up for
                              sale the last week of June. The lots, including three lakefront
                              parcels, vary from a quarter-acre to a half-acre in size.

                              Monster said while he's not building the cottages himself he expects
                              to influence the construction plans of those who purchase his lots.

                              'We want to maintain a cottage style of housing,' he said, adding that
                              the summer resort atmosphere Sacandaga Station is known for will be
                              maintained.

                              Monster said he also intends to pursue businesses wishing to locate in the area.

                              'We're looking at bringing in more businesses,' he said, adding that
                              he intends to seek assistance on the business end from Fulton County
                              Economic Development Corporation.

                              --
                              www.ginosrailpage.com
                              www.fjgrr.org
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 15 11:02 AM
                                Does anyone know how to reach this guy?

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 15 11:28 AM
                                  Yes.... :-)

                                  EtekDesign Corporation, Inc.
                                  A. Willem Monster
                                  373 Bunker Hill Road
                                  Mayfield, NY 12117
                                  518-863-2860
                                  Fax:518-863-2860
                                  Email : willem@...
                                  Http://www.etekdesign.com
                                  *INTERNET TECHNOLOGY CREATIVELY APPLIED* We provide both computer &
                                  internet services including connecting devices to the internet, network
                                  design, WEB Site, & Graphics Interface Design.