Sacandaga Park

  • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi guys,

      The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a web-page
      with a history of the station and his plans for it's future. Here is the
      link... http://www.sacandagastation.com

      Check it out! Also, he's wondering if anyone out there might have the
      original plans for the station. His intention is to restore her to it's
      original glory! Also, she is going to be put on the National Historic
      Register which is great news!!!

      Gino
    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
        > Hi guys,
        >
        > The guy who is restoring the
        > Sacandaga Park Station has
        > created a web-page with a
        > history of the station and\
        > his plans for it's future.
        > Here is the link...
        > http://www.sacandagastation.com
        > [snip]
        > Gino

        Gino,

        A lot of work has been done since we were there in August! This mid-
        November picture is like it was fifty years ago:

        <http://www.sacandagastation.com/phase1_complete.htm>

        Glenn
      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 2, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
          > Hi guys,
          >
          > The guy who is restoring the
          > Sacandaga Park Station has
          > created a web-page with a
          > history of the station and
          > his plans for it's future.
          > Here is the link...
          > http://www.sacandagastation.com
          > [snip}
          > Gino

          Group,

          I've added the link to the Links section.

          Glenn
        • dowens15228
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 3, 2002
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
            > Hi guys,
            >
            > The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a
            web-page
            > with a history of the station and his plans for it's future. (snip)

            Wow! Another thing to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.

            Dan Owens
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 5, 2002
              And it will have a bell in the cupola.

              PKL

              >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
              >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Park
              >Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:25:21 -0500
              >
              >Hi guys,
              >
              >The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a web-page
              >with a history of the station and his plans for it's future. Here is the
              >link... http://www.sacandagastation.com
              >
              >Check it out! Also, he's wondering if anyone out there might have the
              >original plans for the station. His intention is to restore her to it's
              >original glory! Also, she is going to be put on the National Historic
              >Register which is great news!!!
              >
              >Gino

            • Dave Brennan
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 5, 2002

                Another dumb question, always embarassed to ask.     Why did locomotives have a bell and why do they still have them??

                 paul larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

                And it will have a bell in the cupola.

                PKL

                >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
                >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Park
                >Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:25:21 -0500
                >
                >Hi guys,
                >
                >The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a web-page
                >with a history of the station and his plans for it's future.  Here is the
                >link... http://www.sacandagastation.com
                >
                >Check it out!  Also, he's wondering if anyone out there might have the
                >original plans for the station.  His intention is to restore her to it's
                >original glory!  Also, she is going to be put on the National Historic
                >Register which is great news!!!
                >
                >Gino

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Stephen G. Myers
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                  To call all the railroad buffs and let them know a train was in town!!!!
                  .

                   paul larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

                  And it will have a bell in the cupola.

                  PKL

                  >From: Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@...>
                  >To: FJG Railroad <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Park
                  >Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:25:21 -0500
                  >
                  >Hi guys,
                  >
                  >The guy who is restoring the Sacandaga Park Station has created a web-page
                  >with a history of the station and his plans for it's future.  Here is the
                  >link... http://www.sacandagastation.com
                  >
                  >Check it out!  Also, he's wondering if anyone out there might have the
                  >original plans for the station.  His intention is to restore her to it's
                  >original glory!  Also, she is going to be put on the National Historic
                  >Register which is great news!!!
                  >
                  >Gino

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                    The bell is a noise maker to call attention to the locomotive. I can't
                    recall the first known use of a bell on a locomotive but I believe it
                    preceded the use of whistles. Of course early locomotives didn't require
                    the transmitting of a warning over the distances available to the chime of a
                    whistle, the bell thus being sufficient.

                    Surprisingly the sound of the bell does carry quite well in close range.

                    Debate has been had about the rule requiring use of the bell with the
                    whistle when approaching highway crossings at grade, simply because it isn't
                    heard. But in yards and around workers and pedestrians the bell is an
                    excellent alert to the movement or imminent movement of a locomotive. Use of
                    the bell in tunnels is also an adequate warning of the approach of a
                    locomotive.

                    Station bells were used to announce the arrival and/or pending departure of
                    the trains. Fonda (NYC&HRR), Gloversville and Sacandaga Park had bells. No
                    record I have seen indicates there was a bell used in Gloversville after the
                    brick station was built, and don't recall reference to a bell used in
                    conjunction with other stations on the FJ&G. The locomotive whistle is
                    mentioned as being used to announce trains at Northville. Kingsboro,
                    Mayfield and Cranberry Creek had similar, if not identical stations, until
                    the addition was added to the south end of the Mayfield station, with no
                    references to bells having been used.

                    The use of station bells was widespread. I have seen photos of them used on
                    stations in Colorado in the penultimate century. Wasn't there a bell used at
                    the station in Petticoat Junction?

                    PKL

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                      Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
                      and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
                      Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
                      grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
                      I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
                      at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
                      the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                        Yes. The bell is required to be rung anywhere persons may be working and
                        before the locomotive moves.

                        Sometime in 1964 or '65 one of the diesels was on the ground in the NYC
                        Fonda yard and I was underneath placing steel plates on the shims
                        preparatory to rolling it up to the rail. Percy Daniels sounded the engine
                        bell by hand as a joke. Let me tell you I came out of there like a shot and
                        a bit righteous when I found out it was a prank. He found out I understood
                        that rule. Everyone had a laugh but I wasn't ready to laugh at myself. All
                        I could think of was one of those plates taking off like a tiddly-wink and
                        me in the way.

                        For anyone interested: Carl Loucks has FJ&G ETT No. 85 April 1947 for sale
                        in this months listing, $30.00. his eMail address is:
                        ct.direct.mail@...

                        PKL

                        >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                        >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Bell
                        >Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 19:51:22 -0600
                        >
                        >Bells on locomotives do carry quite well! I think of being a kid
                        >and I could hear the bell on the D&H engines as they crossed the
                        >Mohawk at Maxon Road. That crossing has to be a mile from where I
                        >grew up in Schenectady and the bell was just as clear as the whistle!
                        >I used to ask the engineers to ring their bells when they would stop
                        >at the Maxon Road office and they were louder than heck! Amtrak train use
                        >the bell when they come into the station, don't they Paul?
                        >
                        >Gino

                      • Dick Ryall
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 6, 2002
                          I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
                          steam types?????
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 7, 2002
                            Heated engine houses, heated water tanks, motion and heat supplied to the
                            tender from the engine boiler. When the Northville roundhouse burned to the
                            ground this was a big concern by the management. They quickly erected a
                            shed, but in the meantime the engine was run to Gloversville. The round
                            house we all recognize as the Northville one is likely that shed. The one
                            that burned had two stalls.

                            PKL

                            >From: Dick Ryall <dryall@...>
                            >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Bell
                            >Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:27:15 -0700
                            >
                            >I`d like to know how they kept the water from freezing in the tender of
                            >steam types?????

                          • Robert Schoneman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
                              I am currently in a e mail tag with the owner of the property, who is currently doing the renovation. What date and time is your get together again, maybe I can ask for special showing for you all; or make him aware of your interest. He was/is aware of the FJ&G group.

                              I plan on donating back to him the pic of FJ&G 200 in front of the station.

                              I'd like to know your date and plans, asap so I can arrange something for you whilst I'm writing to him.

                              Bob Schoneman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 23, 2004
                                Bob,

                                I have contacted Willem, rather he has contacted me, and am presently
                                exploring options for the 7th. He has arranged a tour commencing at 1 pm
                                and designation ceremony at 4 pm followed in the evening at 7pm by a dance
                                concert in the Park, perhaps ala the style of the Inn in other times.

                                If he can have us, the agenda may change to include this affair. Each year
                                we have gone up there to see the progress, not to mention enjoy the food and
                                scenery at the Pub. Perhaps this will be the fulfillment of our previous
                                inspections.

                                PKL

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 13, 2005
                                  This is from the Hamilton County News...

                                  Cottage plan being abandoned
                                  By CRAIG CLARK

                                  Special to the News

                                  NORTHAMPTON-Citing rising property taxes hindering the real estate
                                  market, the developer working on a proposed 15-unit residential
                                  development in Sacandaga Park here has changed his plans for a series
                                  of cottages and is now selling off the land.

                                  'It's basically a change of plans,' said developer Willem Monster,
                                  owner of the 10-acre plot referred to as Sacandaga Station. 'The
                                  property taxes are basically destroying market.'

                                  While Monster says he won't build the cottages as he planned, he
                                  expects the Sacandaga Station project will still come to fruition much
                                  as he originally envisioned.

                                  The property was once owned by Fonda-Johnstown-Gloversville (FJ&G)
                                  Railroad. The recently restored station building itself, built in 1922
                                  during the height of Sacandaga Park's 'amusement park period', is
                                  considered the jewel of the property.

                                  Monster planned to begin construction on a series of four-season
                                  cottages this summer with the station as the centerpiece. Eventually
                                  the development would have included 15 units.

                                  ZONING CHANGED

                                  In recent months his plans brought him before the Northampton Town
                                  Board seeking an amendment to the zoning law. The council amended the
                                  law in June, allowing Monster's proposal to proceed as he planned.

                                  Previously, through some oversight when the law was originally
                                  crafted, town officials say, Northampton zoning prohibited residential
                                  structures from being built on Route 30's commercially zoned land.
                                  Town planners recently discovered the prohibition, prompting the need
                                  for the amendment for Monster.

                                  But now Monster said his market research indicates that should he
                                  construct the cottages they wouldn't sell. He blames a large number of
                                  homes and cottages around the lake already for sale. The availability
                                  of older homes would make the sale of his new cottages difficult, he
                                  added.

                                  'If we built the houses we'd get stuck with them,' Monster said. 'And
                                  that's what the realtors say-it's a tough sell.'

                                  He blames unfunded state mandates and the resulting rise in property
                                  taxes as the reason so many homes are for sale in the area.

                                  LOTS BEING SOLD

                                  Monster said he put 10 lots of his Sacandaga Station parcel up for
                                  sale the last week of June. The lots, including three lakefront
                                  parcels, vary from a quarter-acre to a half-acre in size.

                                  Monster said while he's not building the cottages himself he expects
                                  to influence the construction plans of those who purchase his lots.

                                  'We want to maintain a cottage style of housing,' he said, adding that
                                  the summer resort atmosphere Sacandaga Station is known for will be
                                  maintained.

                                  Monster said he also intends to pursue businesses wishing to locate in the area.

                                  'We're looking at bringing in more businesses,' he said, adding that
                                  he intends to seek assistance on the business end from Fulton County
                                  Economic Development Corporation.

                                  --
                                  www.ginosrailpage.com
                                  www.fjgrr.org
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
                                    Does anyone know how to reach this guy?

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 15, 2005
                                      Yes.... :-)

                                      EtekDesign Corporation, Inc.
                                      A. Willem Monster
                                      373 Bunker Hill Road
                                      Mayfield, NY 12117
                                      518-863-2860
                                      Fax:518-863-2860
                                      Email : willem@...
                                      Http://www.etekdesign.com
                                      *INTERNET TECHNOLOGY CREATIVELY APPLIED* We provide both computer &
                                      internet services including connecting devices to the internet, network
                                      design, WEB Site, & Graphics Interface Design.