Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
      Thanks Saul,

      Looks like I'll be doing a few changes!

      Paul

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
        Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation for a
        tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods for
        operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this location?

        Paul

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
          Aaron, is this something like an inspection of the entire line. If so it
          would be interesting to compare it with some of the inspections done by the
          Railroad Commissioners around the turn of the century.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
            Years ago there was an interlocking plant at the west crossing in Fonda.
            The tower stood just west of the crossing on the south side. There was a
            brick tool or oil house there in later years which contained a number of NYC
            marker lamps among other stuff. The door always seemed to be open. I can't
            easily put my fingers on a photo of the interior of that tower but they
            exist, as well as some postcards showing the signal tower and parts of the
            plant.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
              Those things are still there and I've wondered the same. Taking a guess,
              I'd say they might have held the control rods from the tower, which stood
              just a few feet away. There was never a signal bridge there. The signals
              facing west were originally between the station and the Broadway crossing
              until a coal train derailed around 1948 and leveled them. Then they moved
              the signals to right next to the overpass, making the only place on the
              Chicago Line where east and west signals face each other.

              The only other thing I could guess these footing braces are would have
              something to do with the oil tanks which used to be on this side of the
              tracks back in the 30s and 40s. Not sure how long they stayed there but
              there were quite a few of the vertical oil tanks on the south side of the
              tracks here. I have a few pictures at home. I think they say further back
              from the tracks, though.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                Paul,

                When Rome Locomotive Works was hired to do this, they sent a field crew out
                for the summer. They inspected the line as far as Broadalbin Junction and
                what I have are their notes of defects in the track that would impair train
                movement. Things are noted such as heat kinks, asphalt paving over
                crossings, things thrown on the tracks, vehicles parked on the tracks, and
                etc.

                Most of these reports are whole-page hand-drawn checklists noting how each
                boxcar and piece of equipment on the line was readied for scrapping or
                removal. This is what interests me the most. All the cars are noted, with
                reporting marks and numbers; included are the plow and some of the other
                stuff left kicking around up there. I haven't looked through this in a few
                years but I do think they left some of the more fun stuff off the list (i.e.
                I don't think the Swift's Premium reefer they junked in Broadalbin Junction
                was included in this... nor was the tank car over by Hohenforst's).

                The railroad really was falling apart big-time and these reports, together
                with what I remember from the scrapping procedure, will explain most of the
                engineering defects. You're probably familiar with how the tracks in the
                Gloversville yard run over the top of the creek... they sank (quite
                noticeably, probably at least 4") when this scrapping was taking place.

                From: paul larner <pklarner@...>
                To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
                Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:55 PM

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                  Hi Paul,

                  Thought that's what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove it.

                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                    Best I can tell from the diagrams is that the westward signal bridge for
                    the interlocking would be east of the west crossing (Broadway) and the
                    eastward signal bridge would have been somewhere near where the DO engine
                    house was built. Crossovers appear to be from south tracks to north tracks
                    for eastward trains. Unfortunately the Sanborn Maps rarely show the trackage
                    accurately, but they do show the buildings. The 1891 set shows the
                    crossovers but the earlier and later sets that I have don't.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                      This does sound interesting. Where would I look to find the originals for
                      copying.

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                        If I can locate a photo or postcard I'll put it up. I was looking at the
                        Sanborn's for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal and
                        Car Inspector's Shop. This was an oblong building a bit longer than the
                        signal tower. West of this was a small square structure which I can't
                        identify from the notes.

                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                          Hi Paul,

                          Wouldn't mind seeing it if you can find it, I'm thinking the rods would have had
                          to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was there one there
                          at one time?

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                            There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an
                            eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an
                            1891 copy of the Fonda Sanborn's. The pictures are in Bill Gordon's FJ&G
                            book, two of them. Both later than 1891, the earlier on doesn't show a
                            signal bridge, the later one does but has only two signal masts, which
                            appear not to be home signals.

                            For those who are following the location of Saul's picture No 118 look in
                            Dave Nestle's book page 48 (you'll have to count for yourself) top left
                            corner - there's the tool house in relation to the carhouse. The buildings
                            appear to be on that stub of a street opposite the Broad street crossing.

                            PKL

                          • Glenn Williams
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 15, 2000
                              Here's some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the
                              Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are
                              from the '50s and '60s. By the way, 2000 was the 150th anniversary
                              of Fonda's founding.

                              # 1: From the left, NYC Tracks 2 and 1, with blank roadbed where
                              Track 3 was removed. Track 4 and the yard track are in the center,
                              with the FJ&G main to the right of the poles. At about this
                              location, a crossover went from the yard track to Track 4, allowing
                              NYC locals to regain the main. This crossover was later relocated
                              closer to the Fonda yard (see picture #34), after SS 16 was closed.
                              The yard track continued west for some distance, to Spencer's Coal
                              yard, and was used at that location for dormitory cars during the
                              construction of the FE (Fonda East) and FW (Fonda West) interlockings
                              in the early '50s.

                              # 2: The footings shown were for manually controlling the crossover
                              mentioned above from the SS 16 tower just behind the photographer.
                              When SS 16 was moved to the new 2nd story of the Fonda depot, the
                              crossover was controlled electrically from there.

                              # 3: From the right of the corrugated enginehouse, the two low
                              buildings were for the Socony Vacuum (later Socony Mobil and then
                              just Mobil) plant. The white building at the right is rear of the
                              Fonda Post Office, built in the early 60's.

                              # 5: The Fonda P.O. is at the left, with Sarris' Restaurant at the
                              right, with the turntable site between. The P.O. is on the site of
                              the building shown in our Files as ICC picture #2.

                              # 6: From the left - the Central Garage, for years a Chevy dealer-
                              ship, was white in colour; it was also a Gulf station. Next, a
                              residence turned into a movie theatre (in the late '40s), with a
                              Grange Hall on the 2nd floor; subsequently one of Johnny Morford's
                              antique dealerships. Next, mansard-roofed rooming house. Last,
                              Fonda Methodist Church.

                              # 7: Actually, there are three buildings here: Sarris' Restaurant
                              on the left, the Shell garage in the middle, and the Colonial
                              Restaurant on the right.

                              # 8: The market is on the site of the NYC's Fonda depot. For an
                              earlier picture of this location, see
                              <http://www.rootsweb.com/~nymontgo/mohawk/fondacards.html>.
                              Foundation of old SS 16 is in foreground.

                              # 9: Originally the site of the Hotel Roy, later the Colonial
                              Restaurant, whose entrance was on the Main Street side. The switch
                              is where the FJ&G main leaves the yard track. It was a manual switch
                              not controlled by SS 16.

                              # 10: From left to right - Central National Bank. The Wagon Wheel,
                              a soda fountain and newsstand, with a tailor shop over. The hotel
                              (whose name escapes me) had awnings on the 2nd and 3rd floors; a cab
                              company later shared the ground floor with the bar and grill. The
                              one-story building is the Frothingham Free Library, originally in a
                              taller building destroyed by fire; one of the two buildings
                              originally here was, I believe, Wyman's Drug Store. The car in the
                              foreground is where the west leg of the Fonda's line wye ended.

                              # 11: From left to right in the background - the Corning Davis
                              Store, whose awning/canopy was not original. See #5, above, for
                              another view. The Stewart's is located on the site of a small lot
                              between the Davis building and of a large three-story building (now
                              the Stewart's parking lot). For years it housed a State Police
                              substation, the Fonda Post Office, and other businesses I cannot now
                              recall. See page 110 (top) of Randy Decker's book.

                              # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a restaurant
                              on the ground floor. The entrance was much different than that shown.

                              # 17: This is the rear of one of several business buildings between
                              the NYC property and the Agway (nee GLF) buildings. These buildings,
                              including the Agway, were demolished early in '98 and the newest
                              Fonda P.O. erected on the site.

                              # 18: The trailer-on-flat-car at the right is on the siding which
                              served the GLF.

                              # 19: See #17.

                              # 23: The gas station behind and to the left of the pickup truck was
                              originally the site of the Hands' Lunch diner.

                              # 25: Just behind the Mohawk Valley Democrat building, at the orange
                              sign, was a smallish structure for the grade crossing guard, there
                              because of the nearby school.

                              # 28: The houses were in various stages of disrepair as you go back
                              in time.

                              # 32: The red building originally had a store at street level. The
                              Zion Episcopal Church across the street has been unused since the
                              early '30s. Freight depot actually was at right edge of picture.

                              # 34: Gas station and retaining wall were new in the '60s, after the
                              freight depot burned. The building was leased by the NYC to a
                              private party, who filled it with wax-covered containers. The fire
                              took down the Mohawk Division wires on adjacent poles, putting it in
                              a bit of a fix for a while. See Gino's web site for a partial
                              picture of the site.

                              While I have pictures squirreled away for a lot of this, my memory
                              may be faulty. Let me know of any errors and omissions offline and
                              I'll repost this list.

                              Glenn
                            • Glenn Williams
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                                --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
                                wrote:
                                > [snip]
                                >
                                > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
                                > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
                                than that shown.

                                > [snip]

                                Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
                                mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
                                DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.

                                Glenn
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                                  Hi Glenn,

                                  Thanks for the correction, I'll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of
                                  information.

                                  Paul :-)