New Fonda Pages Up

  • Peter Sefton
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 26, 2002
      Thank you to all who helped me with information about Downtown Fonda.
      I've posted 2 pages of Fonda vintage building photos including the
      old hotels by the depot. You can see them by following the links at
      the top of my homepage (http://www.victoriansecrets.net) Interested
      in any feedback, especially if I said something dumb.

      Peter S.
    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 26, 2002
        > Thank you to all who helped me with information about Downtown Fonda.
        > I've posted 2 pages of Fonda vintage building photos including the
        > old hotels by the depot. You can see them by following the links at
        > the top of my homepage (http://www.victoriansecrets.net) Interested
        > in any feedback, especially if I said something dumb.
        >
        > Peter S.

        I got all excited about your web-page Peter! I thought it said "Victoria
        Secrets" not Victorian Secrets!

        Gino
      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 26, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Peter Sefton" <psefton@c...> wrote:
          > Thank you to all who helped me with information about Downtown
          Fonda.
          > I've posted 2 pages of Fonda
          > vintage building photos
          > including the old hotels by
          > the depot. You can see them
          > by following the links at
          > the top of my homepage
          >(http://www.victoriansecrets.net)
          > Interested
          > in any feedback, especially if
          > I said something dumb.
          >
          > Peter S.

          Peter,

          The collapsed building was originally St. Cecilia's RC Church. When
          the new church was built on Broadway, opposite the Reformed Church,
          it was taken over by the Floyd Deckro American Legion Post; you can
          just make out the lettering in the covering over the doorway. It had
          been disused for some time.

          The NAPA Auto Parts building picture reveals perfectly its past as
          the Hotel Cadillac, a past I was totally unaware of.

          Fonda was at one time quite a vibrant place. My mother was part of
          Fonda's Centennial Committee in 1950. It produced a booklet, with
          some illustrations, which I still have.

          Those are great pictures supporting a great quote from Dreiser. "An
          American Tragedy" is based on a true story which took place in the
          area. The prosecuting attorney was a relative of my great-uncle, who
          said that the relative never practiced law again after that trial.

          Glenn
        • psefton@crosslink.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 26, 2002
            Thanks, Glenn I'll make corrections. Do you think it could have been
            the Grange before it was a church? It definitely had a stone tablet
            that said "Fonda Grange". I haven't heard of one, but maybe there is
            still a Grange chapter around the area where I could inquire.The
            grange was big around 1870-1890, which looks about the right age for
            the building.

            Downtown Fonda has definitely lost businesses but still has many
            beautiful buildings. It's a shame that there seems to have been a lot
            of demolition over perhaps the past 10 years, especially on the south
            side of Route 5. A favorite of mine was the Mohawk Valley Democrat,
            which was at the corner of 5 and 30A heading south.

            I was reading on the internet tonight about that murder
            case--Gillette was the murderer,in 1906, and he got executed. I don't
            know if Dreiser visited the Mohawk Valley or just looked at a
            railroad map.Either way, it was a good book.

            Peter S.

          • psefton@crosslink.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 26, 2002
              The women I see around the Washington DC buildings would be quite
              freightening in lingerie...

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 27, 2002
                --- In FJGRailroad@y..., psefton@c... wrote:
                > Thanks, Glenn I'll make corrections. Do you think it could have been
                > the Grange before it was a church? It definitely had a stone tablet
                > that said "Fonda Grange". I haven't heard of one, but maybe there is
                > still a Grange chapter around the area where I could inquire.The
                > grange was big around 1870-1890, which looks about the right age for
                > the building.

                It is entirely possible that the Grange was in the building. Perhaps
                it was between the time St. Cecilia's moved and the Deckro post took
                occupancy? [My Fonda Centennial booklet is hiding from me today, so
                I cannot say one way or the other.]

                When I was involved with the Grange, it was located on the top floor
                of the old theatre building, just east of the Central Garage, at the
                west end of town. I doubt the chapter is still active.

                > Downtown Fonda has definitely lost businesses but still has many
                > beautiful buildings. It's a shame that there seems to have been a
                > lot of demolition over perhaps the past 10 years, especially on the
                > south side of Route 5. A favorite of mine was the Mohawk Valley
                > Democrat, which was at the corner of 5 and 30A heading south.

                The first time I saw that the block of buildings between Center
                Street and the depot site was gone, I about drove onto the sidewalk
                in surprise. The GLF building had been such a landmark, never mind
                that the business had moved to Fultonville years ago. [Required FJ&G
                content: there were always at least a couple of box cars on the
                siding there, and one of them was usually Buffalo Creek Flour.]

                The other buildings in the block were getting kinda grungy though,
                through lack of maintenance, so it was probably tear them down before
                they burn down. . .

                It was a bit disconcerting to see the Mohawk Valley Democrat sign
                painted out. The paper had been in the building for a good 50 - 60
                years and was quite the moneymaker for the Wemple family when they
                owned it. It changed hands once that I know of before publication
                ceased in 1990. The archives are stored somewhere around
                Cooperstown, IIRC [No, not with Walter Rich. . .]

                > I was reading on the internet tonight about that murder
                > case--Gillette was the murderer,in 1906, and he got executed. I
                > don't know if Dreiser visited the Mohawk Valley or just looked at a
                > railroad map.Either way, it was a good book.

                The murder case was covered in a locally-published book, the title
                and author of which completely eludes me right now. Bookstores in
                the Mohawk Valley should know of it, if not have it.

                Glenn
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 28, 2002
                  The books of the Mohawk Valley Democrat are at the Fair Grounds under the
                  care of Charlie Sammons. They are not in the safest or dryest locationand
                  have sufered because of it.

                  I spoke with him about moving them to a betterr location but there are some
                  issues, I can't recall, so I expect they will one day fall beyond use, never
                  having been microfilmed.

                  PKL

                • Glenn J. Williams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 29, 2002
                    --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                    > The books of the Mohawk Valley
                    > Democrat are at the Fair Grounds
                    > under the care of Charlie Sammons.
                    > They are not in the safest or
                    > dryest location and have
                    > suffered because of it.
                    >
                    > I spoke with him about moving
                    > them to a better location but
                    > there are some issues, I can't
                    > recall, so I expect they will
                    > one day fall beyond use, never
                    > having been microfilmed.
                    >
                    > PKL

                    Paul,

                    Perhaps some good news. A Google search came up with this web site:

                    <http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp/129.htm>

                    If I understand it correctly, it looks like a good portion of the
                    issues have been microfilmed. Note, too, other local papers have
                    entries.

                    Glenn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 29, 2002
                      Glenn,

                      The material up to the late eighties or early nineties are filmed. The
                      material at the fairgrounds is mostly if not all from the twentieth century
                      with a bit of material from the 1890's if I recall correctly. (Somewhere I
                      have it written down.) The site you refer to is of the State's newspaper
                      project and represents the files available at the library in Albany and at
                      other locations which have acquired copies of the film. They can also be
                      requested to local libraries around thestate.

                      Once the documents are put on microfilm there is little reason to keep the
                      originals and many are destroyed after filming. The file the state hasn't
                      released yet is the Johnstown Republican from the 1870's and is the only
                      twin city record I know of to include the year 1876. The 1876 book from the
                      Intelligencer has disappeared, and the Standard files (and who knows what
                      else?) were allegedly thrown away by a librarian at the Gloversville Free
                      Library some years ago as they took up too much space in the basement and
                      posed a fire hazard.

                      Paul

                      >From: "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@...>
                      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Mohawk Valley Democrat
                      >Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 14:27:21 -0000
                      >
                      >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                      > > The books of the Mohawk Valley
                      > > Democrat are at the Fair Grounds
                      > > under the care of Charlie Sammons.
                      > > They are not in the safest or
                      > > dryest location and have
                      > > suffered because of it.
                      > >
                      > > I spoke with him about moving
                      > > them to a better location but
                      > > there are some issues, I can't
                      > > recall, so I expect they will
                      > > one day fall beyond use, never
                      > > having been microfilmed.
                      > >
                      > > PKL
                      >
                      >Paul,
                      >
                      >Perhaps some good news. A Google search came up with this web site:
                      >
                      ><http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/nysnp/129.htm>
                      >
                      >If I understand it correctly, it looks like a good portion of the
                      >issues have been microfilmed. Note, too, other local papers have
                      >entries.
                      >
                      > Glenn

                    • Walt Danylak
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 30, 2002
                        Glenn,

                        As you can see by the listing that the state has at Albany, most of
                        the 1800's and early part of the 1900's are missing. Albany only has
                        1865-1868 and 1871-1875. 1869-1870 is available on microfilm at the
                        NYS Museum in Cooperstown.

                        From what I hear from the people at the Old Court House in Fonda, the
                        newspapers at the Fonda Fairgrounds covers many of the missing years,
                        but there is no accurate record of just what issues they have. As
                        Paul said, there have been attempts to get the newspapers moved to a
                        better location, but so far, they are still at the fairgrounds.

                        Walt
                      • Glenn J. Williams
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 30, 2002
                          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
                          > Glenn,
                          >
                          > As you can see by the listing that the state has at Albany, most of
                          > the 1800's and early part of the 1900's are missing.
                          > [snip]
                          > Walt

                          Walt & Paul,

                          You are right, for I had forgotten about the earlier years of the
                          paper.

                          Is Charlie Sammons the owner of those files or just a custodian?

                          Glenn
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 1, 2002
                            Glenn,

                            I didn't clarify that. My impression was that he was in charge of the Fair
                            Grounds, where they were stored and that he was also in control of them.
                            That is, what ever he said, is what would or could happen to them. For some
                            reason I carry the impression that he was the owner of the Fair Grounds; I'd
                            be curious to know if that's fact.

                            Paul

                          • cf76triumph <skalbfel@ix.netcom.com>
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 20, 2002
                              25 years ago I built a model of this building and its companion which
                              was torn down some years ago. I have no plans though, I just eyeballed
                              the dimensions from pictures that I took in 1972. Funny how I just
                              came across the negatives. They were on a roll that I was using to
                              take pictures of my wife's wedding shower at the Holiday Inn in
                              Johnstown. I was obliged to get lost for a while so I went down to
                              Fonda and took some pictures. I'll try to scan these soon.
                              Also, Willem Monster's Sacandagastation website is very nice. If he
                              can breath life into Sacandaga with his ambitious plans, that would be
                              great. Let's face it the Park has been dead since the Inn closed in
                              1974. I have a set of detail photos of the station before it was
                              vandalized and sadly debased by its conversion to a stable. I am
                              scanning these and burning a cdrom for him.

                              It's kind of a grim Autumn. I've been on unemployment since August.
                              I've suggested to my wife that maybe we should sell the house and move
                              back to Fulton County where being unemployed is no big deal. It's kind
                              of a grim look I got from her.

                              An all-holiday greeting to all...Saul and Felicia Kalbfeld