Remembering Downtown

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 25, 2002
      This program will be of interest to those of us who were there and for those
      who would liked to have been. A time when trolleys and buses or our legs
      took us around the city in which we lived; before the auto took over and we
      moved to the suburbs.

      PKL

> [...]
      >
      >Sunday on WMHT-TV
      >
      >Remembering Downtown�an hour long documentary focusing on the golden age of
      >downtown in Albany Schenectady and Troy�premieres this Sunday, December 1
      >at 8:00 p.m. on WMHT public television. The documentary also explores
      >efforts to revive local downtowns.
      >
      >Award-winning documentary producer Steve Dunn and media personality Bob
      >Cudmore are co-producers of the program, funded by a grant from the Troy
      >Savings Bank Charitable Foundation.
      >
      >"Shopping was a social event in the 40s, 50s and 60s," said Cudmore, who
      >narrates the documentary. "There was a feeling of warmth."
      >
      >Among the 17 people interviewed on-camera are Albany merchant Jack Yonally
      >of B. Lodge and Company, Schenectady merchant Linda Tolokonski of Rudnick�s
      >and WTEN reporter John McLoughlin. The musical theme is the 1964 song
      >"Downtown," written by Tony Hatch, performed by pianist Adrian Cohen and
      >vocalist Colleen Pratt.
      >
      >Earlier this year, Dunn won a New York State Broadcasters Association award
      >for the WMHT documentary Sacred Places, that gave an account of diverse
      >centers of worship in the region. In 2001, Cudmore narrated Dunn�s
      >documentary, The Iron Horse in Schenectady: Locomotives for the World. Dunn
      >and Cudmore co-produced Historic Views of the Carpet City: Amsterdam, New
      >York in 2000.
      >
      >###
      >
      >Contact: Marcy Stryker, WMHT: 518 357-1700
      >
      >Bob Cudmore: 518 346-6657
      >
      >Remembering Downtown Premieres
      >
      >Sunday on WMHT-TV
      >

      >Remembering Downtown�an hour long documentary focusing on the golden age of
      >downtown in Albany Schenectady and Troy�premieres this Sunday, December 1
      >at 8:00 p.m. on WMHT public television. The documentary also explores
      >efforts to revive local downtowns.
      >
      >Award-winning documentary producer Steve Dunn and media personality Bob
      >Cudmore are co-producers of the program, funded by a grant from the Troy
      >Savings Bank Charitable Foundation.
      >
      >"Shopping was a social event in the 40s, 50s and 60s," said Cudmore, who
      >narrates the documentary. "There was a feeling of warmth."
      >
      >Among the 17 people interviewed on-camera are Albany merchant Jack Yonally
      >of B. Lodge and Company, Schenectady merchant Linda Tolokonski of Rudnick�s
      >and WTEN reporter John McLoughlin. The musical theme is the 1964 song
      >"Downtown," written by Tony Hatch, performed by pianist Adrian Cohen and
      >vocalist Colleen Pratt.
      >
      >Earlier this year, Dunn won a New York State Broadcasters Association award
      >for the WMHT documentary Sacred Places, that gave an account of diverse
      >centers of worship in the region. In 2001, Cudmore narrated Dunn�s
      >documentary, The Iron Horse in Schenectady: Locomotives for the World. Dunn
      >and Cudmore co-produced Historic Views of the Carpet City: Amsterdam, New
      >York in 2000.
      >
      >###
      >
      >Contact: Marcy Stryker, WMHT: 518 357-1700

    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:

        > This program will be of interest
        > to those of us who were there
        > and for those who would liked to
        > have been. A time when trolleys
        > and buses or our legs took us
        > around the city in which we
        > lived; before the auto took
        > over and we moved to the suburbs.
        >

        > PKL

        The documentaries produced by WMHT are well-thought of outside the
        Capitol Region. When I worked over there, I made sure to tape each
        one and send it down to my father.

        That said, if someone will tape this one for me, I will send you an
        unopened tape, plus pay the postage both ways, in return.

        Email me off-line for the mailing address if you don't already have
        it.

        TIA.

        Glenn
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2002
          That special was great Paul!!! It did show some Albany and Schenectady
          Trolleys which was nice. I also got to see all my favorite stores from
          Downtown Schenectady. Carl's, Wallace's, Grants, Kresgis and Woolworth!
          To see the inside of Carl Company again was a treat...

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
            Gino,

            It must be the snow on the ground and the Christmas lights, but at
            this time every year I remember (miss) the hustling bustling downtown
            Schenectady. My mother would drag me from store to store, the windows
            would be animated with reindeer and Santa, the sidewalks would be snowy,
            church bells and salvation Army kettles would chime out, and all the
            pretty Christmas lights would shine in the snowy evening. When I watch
            "Miracle On 34TH Street", or hear "Downtown", or "City Sidewalks" on the
            radio, I am taken back to Schenectady, New York in the 1960's.

            Steve

            .
            .
            On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:26:52 -0600 "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
            writes:
            > That special was great Paul!!! It did show some Albany and
            > Schenectady
            > Trolleys which was nice. I also got to see all my favorite stores
            > from
            > Downtown Schenectady. Carl's, Wallace's, Grants, Kresgis and
            > Woolworth!
            > To see the inside of Carl Company again was a treat...
            >
            > Gino

            Only $9.95 per month!
            Visit www.juno.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002
              Steve,

              After the Schenectady Christmas Parade, all the stores would be open late
              and we would go look at the window displays. The Carl Company would try
              to out do their window display, which were always great! Carls also had
              the best Santa in their toy department! Do you remember the peanut store
              that was just a few doors down from Carls? You'd walk by there and smell
              the roasted nuts and Mr. Peanut would be standing out front with free
              samples! Christmas was a great time in Downtown Schenectady! It's just not
              the same
              walking around the freak show at Rotterdam Square Mall!

            • choochoo1802@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2002
                Gino-Can you unsubscribe me from the group with this email address? I'll
                keep my other address , I dont need two for the group.Be careful there
                is another choo-choo with the group. Thanks Mark Wilber