Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
      No problem Gino, still plenty of space in the file. Have to send a thank
      you to Onelist for increasing the space!

      Paul

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
        Speaking of the Fonda photos, if anyone can ID some of the buildings (eg-the
        place I call the "mill" or the "oil Dealer" must have a real name) I can add
        that to the description for others to know. Just let me know the name and the
        number of the image.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
          Thanks Saul,

          Looks like I'll be doing a few changes!

          Paul

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
            Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation for a
            tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods for
            operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this location?

            Paul

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
              Aaron, is this something like an inspection of the entire line. If so it
              would be interesting to compare it with some of the inspections done by the
              Railroad Commissioners around the turn of the century.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                Years ago there was an interlocking plant at the west crossing in Fonda.
                The tower stood just west of the crossing on the south side. There was a
                brick tool or oil house there in later years which contained a number of NYC
                marker lamps among other stuff. The door always seemed to be open. I can't
                easily put my fingers on a photo of the interior of that tower but they
                exist, as well as some postcards showing the signal tower and parts of the
                plant.

                Paul

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                  Those things are still there and I've wondered the same. Taking a guess,
                  I'd say they might have held the control rods from the tower, which stood
                  just a few feet away. There was never a signal bridge there. The signals
                  facing west were originally between the station and the Broadway crossing
                  until a coal train derailed around 1948 and leveled them. Then they moved
                  the signals to right next to the overpass, making the only place on the
                  Chicago Line where east and west signals face each other.

                  The only other thing I could guess these footing braces are would have
                  something to do with the oil tanks which used to be on this side of the
                  tracks back in the 30s and 40s. Not sure how long they stayed there but
                  there were quite a few of the vertical oil tanks on the south side of the
                  tracks here. I have a few pictures at home. I think they say further back
                  from the tracks, though.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                    Paul,

                    When Rome Locomotive Works was hired to do this, they sent a field crew out
                    for the summer. They inspected the line as far as Broadalbin Junction and
                    what I have are their notes of defects in the track that would impair train
                    movement. Things are noted such as heat kinks, asphalt paving over
                    crossings, things thrown on the tracks, vehicles parked on the tracks, and
                    etc.

                    Most of these reports are whole-page hand-drawn checklists noting how each
                    boxcar and piece of equipment on the line was readied for scrapping or
                    removal. This is what interests me the most. All the cars are noted, with
                    reporting marks and numbers; included are the plow and some of the other
                    stuff left kicking around up there. I haven't looked through this in a few
                    years but I do think they left some of the more fun stuff off the list (i.e.
                    I don't think the Swift's Premium reefer they junked in Broadalbin Junction
                    was included in this... nor was the tank car over by Hohenforst's).

                    The railroad really was falling apart big-time and these reports, together
                    with what I remember from the scrapping procedure, will explain most of the
                    engineering defects. You're probably familiar with how the tracks in the
                    Gloversville yard run over the top of the creek... they sank (quite
                    noticeably, probably at least 4") when this scrapping was taking place.

                    From: paul larner <pklarner@...>
                    To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
                    Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:55 PM

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                      Hi Paul,

                      Thought that's what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove it.

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                        Best I can tell from the diagrams is that the westward signal bridge for
                        the interlocking would be east of the west crossing (Broadway) and the
                        eastward signal bridge would have been somewhere near where the DO engine
                        house was built. Crossovers appear to be from south tracks to north tracks
                        for eastward trains. Unfortunately the Sanborn Maps rarely show the trackage
                        accurately, but they do show the buildings. The 1891 set shows the
                        crossovers but the earlier and later sets that I have don't.

                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                          This does sound interesting. Where would I look to find the originals for
                          copying.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                            If I can locate a photo or postcard I'll put it up. I was looking at the
                            Sanborn's for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal and
                            Car Inspector's Shop. This was an oblong building a bit longer than the
                            signal tower. West of this was a small square structure which I can't
                            identify from the notes.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                              Hi Paul,

                              Wouldn't mind seeing it if you can find it, I'm thinking the rods would have had
                              to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was there one there
                              at one time?

                              Paul

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                                There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an
                                eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an
                                1891 copy of the Fonda Sanborn's. The pictures are in Bill Gordon's FJ&G
                                book, two of them. Both later than 1891, the earlier on doesn't show a
                                signal bridge, the later one does but has only two signal masts, which
                                appear not to be home signals.

                                For those who are following the location of Saul's picture No 118 look in
                                Dave Nestle's book page 48 (you'll have to count for yourself) top left
                                corner - there's the tool house in relation to the carhouse. The buildings
                                appear to be on that stub of a street opposite the Broad street crossing.

                                PKL

                              • Glenn Williams
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 15, 2000
                                  Here's some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the
                                  Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are
                                  from the '50s and '60s. By the way, 2000 was the 150th anniversary
                                  of Fonda's founding.

                                  # 1: From the left, NYC Tracks 2 and 1, with blank roadbed where
                                  Track 3 was removed. Track 4 and the yard track are in the center,
                                  with the FJ&G main to the right of the poles. At about this
                                  location, a crossover went from the yard track to Track 4, allowing
                                  NYC locals to regain the main. This crossover was later relocated
                                  closer to the Fonda yard (see picture #34), after SS 16 was closed.
                                  The yard track continued west for some distance, to Spencer's Coal
                                  yard, and was used at that location for dormitory cars during the
                                  construction of the FE (Fonda East) and FW (Fonda West) interlockings
                                  in the early '50s.

                                  # 2: The footings shown were for manually controlling the crossover
                                  mentioned above from the SS 16 tower just behind the photographer.
                                  When SS 16 was moved to the new 2nd story of the Fonda depot, the
                                  crossover was controlled electrically from there.

                                  # 3: From the right of the corrugated enginehouse, the two low
                                  buildings were for the Socony Vacuum (later Socony Mobil and then
                                  just Mobil) plant. The white building at the right is rear of the
                                  Fonda Post Office, built in the early 60's.

                                  # 5: The Fonda P.O. is at the left, with Sarris' Restaurant at the
                                  right, with the turntable site between. The P.O. is on the site of
                                  the building shown in our Files as ICC picture #2.

                                  # 6: From the left - the Central Garage, for years a Chevy dealer-
                                  ship, was white in colour; it was also a Gulf station. Next, a
                                  residence turned into a movie theatre (in the late '40s), with a
                                  Grange Hall on the 2nd floor; subsequently one of Johnny Morford's
                                  antique dealerships. Next, mansard-roofed rooming house. Last,
                                  Fonda Methodist Church.

                                  # 7: Actually, there are three buildings here: Sarris' Restaurant
                                  on the left, the Shell garage in the middle, and the Colonial
                                  Restaurant on the right.

                                  # 8: The market is on the site of the NYC's Fonda depot. For an
                                  earlier picture of this location, see
                                  <http://www.rootsweb.com/~nymontgo/mohawk/fondacards.html>.
                                  Foundation of old SS 16 is in foreground.

                                  # 9: Originally the site of the Hotel Roy, later the Colonial
                                  Restaurant, whose entrance was on the Main Street side. The switch
                                  is where the FJ&G main leaves the yard track. It was a manual switch
                                  not controlled by SS 16.

                                  # 10: From left to right - Central National Bank. The Wagon Wheel,
                                  a soda fountain and newsstand, with a tailor shop over. The hotel
                                  (whose name escapes me) had awnings on the 2nd and 3rd floors; a cab
                                  company later shared the ground floor with the bar and grill. The
                                  one-story building is the Frothingham Free Library, originally in a
                                  taller building destroyed by fire; one of the two buildings
                                  originally here was, I believe, Wyman's Drug Store. The car in the
                                  foreground is where the west leg of the Fonda's line wye ended.

                                  # 11: From left to right in the background - the Corning Davis
                                  Store, whose awning/canopy was not original. See #5, above, for
                                  another view. The Stewart's is located on the site of a small lot
                                  between the Davis building and of a large three-story building (now
                                  the Stewart's parking lot). For years it housed a State Police
                                  substation, the Fonda Post Office, and other businesses I cannot now
                                  recall. See page 110 (top) of Randy Decker's book.

                                  # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a restaurant
                                  on the ground floor. The entrance was much different than that shown.

                                  # 17: This is the rear of one of several business buildings between
                                  the NYC property and the Agway (nee GLF) buildings. These buildings,
                                  including the Agway, were demolished early in '98 and the newest
                                  Fonda P.O. erected on the site.

                                  # 18: The trailer-on-flat-car at the right is on the siding which
                                  served the GLF.

                                  # 19: See #17.

                                  # 23: The gas station behind and to the left of the pickup truck was
                                  originally the site of the Hands' Lunch diner.

                                  # 25: Just behind the Mohawk Valley Democrat building, at the orange
                                  sign, was a smallish structure for the grade crossing guard, there
                                  because of the nearby school.

                                  # 28: The houses were in various stages of disrepair as you go back
                                  in time.

                                  # 32: The red building originally had a store at street level. The
                                  Zion Episcopal Church across the street has been unused since the
                                  early '30s. Freight depot actually was at right edge of picture.

                                  # 34: Gas station and retaining wall were new in the '60s, after the
                                  freight depot burned. The building was leased by the NYC to a
                                  private party, who filled it with wax-covered containers. The fire
                                  took down the Mohawk Division wires on adjacent poles, putting it in
                                  a bit of a fix for a while. See Gino's web site for a partial
                                  picture of the site.

                                  While I have pictures squirreled away for a lot of this, my memory
                                  may be faulty. Let me know of any errors and omissions offline and
                                  I'll repost this list.

                                  Glenn
                                • Glenn Williams
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                                    --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > [snip]
                                    >
                                    > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
                                    > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
                                    than that shown.

                                    > [snip]

                                    Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
                                    mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
                                    DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.

                                    Glenn
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                                      Hi Glenn,

                                      Thanks for the correction, I'll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of
                                      information.

                                      Paul :-)