RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Coal Structure

    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 20, 2002
      Duff and Wilson operated a paving business there in the 80's! Is it
      the former King Coal building you are talking about Dean? It would
      be right across from the rail park and the former Ireland Chemical.
      The FJG did service King Coal and I have pictures of cars there!

      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 21, 2002
        Gino:
        Thats the one, Duff & Wilson. I hope to take some photos when I'm
        in Johnstown tomorrow, weather permitting. It looks like a modelling project
        just waiting to
        be done.

        Thank you for the reply.

        Dean Pausley
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 22, 2002
          Dean,

          What you need are pictures of the structure with the original
          coal silo in front of the place! I will get some posted for
          our modelers! I know that Steve L. wants to model that place!

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
            Gino:
            You are a weath of information, as is the entire list.
            Friday I did take a photograph, raining like hell, just to get going. My
            layout is n-scale. I am planning a second layout, shelf type, dockside. The
            King would be a great focal industry. Coal hopper to bunker to barge. Just
            in the comcept, drawing stage, but research and plannning is half of the
            fun.

            Dean P.
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
              Well hey Dean, there is a Canal Street not to far from there in
              Johnstown and as far as I can tell, there was never a canal in
              Johnstown! You could incorporate the Johnstown Canal into your
              layout!

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                ---So many of the coal dealers serviced by the FJ&G would make good
                models,All of the fulton county coal houses would be great Johnstown
                & Kingsboro ave are small enough to fit in a somewhat confined space
                Kingsboro being the smaller i think. Gloversville yard FCC would be a
                huge building and great centerpeice for the layout.I'll be doing
                Independant coal in Gloversville GloveCity Coal,The Coal housr on
                State ST in Johnstown is already done and Broadalbin Coal and supply
                My two favorite ones on the FJ&G i'am not going to have room on the
                Layout for are FortJohnson Coal in Johnstown and the Best one King
                COAL!!!!!

                Steve

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                  The Johnstown canal ran from the east side of town andthe Cayadutta creek
                  along Beaver Street the n on a southward diagonal to N. Perry Street at
                  Canal Street. It paralleled Canal Street straight to Pleasant Street,
                  eaarlier known as Mill Street, then followed Mill Street south and went back
                  into the Cayadutta after emptying into the outlet from Streetere Pond, no
                  longer there.

                  The canal provided water to the mills in that area.

                  PKL

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                    Oh, it was a feeder canal!

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                      Just out of curiosity how many people on this list actually reside in
                      Johnstown or gloversville or Fonda, or Broadalbin or Northville?

                      I have been trying to get up there for a couple of weeks as my family has a
                      house out on the Johnstown Caroga Lake road but there's always something
                      going on here in Highland Falls. Is there any snow up there?
                      As an aside because I feel like rambling, I was in Concord NH Thursday. I
                      stopped by the NESRR and saw they have a CR GP-10. there was about three
                      inches of snow too........

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                        Joe,

                        I live in Saratoga, but I can call my mom in Gloversville and check
                        for you! There was supposed to be some snow last night...

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                          >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                          >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                          >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Coal Structure
                          >Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:32:57 -0600
                          >
                          >Joe,
                          >
                          >I live in Saratoga, but I can call my mom in Gloversville and check
                          >for you! There was supposed to be some snow last night...
                          >
                          >Gino

                          No need I was just curious. How is everything with you?

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                            Things are good Joe! Will you be in Gloversville this week?
                            I'll be there Tuesday night for our meeting and I may be there
                            this weekend to visit!

                            From: joseph Klapkowski [mailto:riverlinejoe@...]

                            No need I was just curious. How is everything with you?

                            _
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                              No I have to work Friday and the wife is working weekends but I am going to
                              take two or three days around March to actually show up at one of the
                              meetings. It will be my annual attendance.

                              >From: "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@...>
                              >To: "'FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com'" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
                              >Subject: RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: Coal Structure
                              >Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:39:22 -0600
                              >
                              >Things are good Joe! Will you be in Gloversville this week?
                              >I'll be there Tuesday night for our meeting and I may be there
                              >this weekend to visit!
                              >
                              >Gino

                            • Dick Ryall
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 23, 2002
                                I don`t know where Hiland Falls is, I`m in Twin Falls, Idaho that
                                is..dick

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                  HF is on the Hudson River, 46 miles north of NYC, right next to West Point

                                • Dave Brennan
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002

                                         I live at Peck Lake , off G'ville-Caroga Lake Rd , and we have snow covering the ground.  It is just enough colder ,up the hill, that we have snow when J'town& G'ville don't.       The caravans of snowmobilers from down your way will be starting soon.                         Dave

                                     joseph Klapkowski <riverlinejoe@...> wrote:

                                    Just out of curiosity how many people on this list actually reside in
                                    Johnstown or gloversville or Fonda, or Broadalbin or Northville?

                                    I have been trying to get up there for a couple of weeks as my family has a
                                    house out on the Johnstown Caroga Lake road but there's always something
                                    going on here in Highland Falls. Is there any snow up there?
                                    As an aside because I feel like rambling, I was in Concord NH Thursday. I
                                    stopped by the NESRR and saw they have a CR GP-10. there was about three
                                    inches of snow too........

                                    Do you Yahoo!?

                                  • Malcolm Horton
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                      No. It was a power canal, used to divert water around a gradual drop in the
                                      stream to a point where there could be a single greater drop to power a
                                      mill. An example of a large scale power canal is at Cohoes, NY where water
                                      of the Mohawk river is carried around the Cohoes Falls to the School Street
                                      hydroelectric plant which can generate 50,000 KW of electric power. It
                                      originally powered the great Harmony Mills which produce cloth.

                                      A feeder canal, on the other hand, was used to divert water from a stream or
                                      pond to the summit of a canal. An example in our area is the Glens Falls
                                      feeder which carries water from the Hudson River just above Glens Falls to
                                      the summit level of the Champlain Canal. Here it flows both ways, north to
                                      Lake Champlain (which empties into the St. Lawrence River via the Richelieu
                                      River) and south to the Hudson River below Fort Edward.

                                      Malcolm Horton

                                      > The Johnstown canal ran from the east side of town andthe Cayadutta creek
                                      > along Beaver Street the n on a southward diagonal to N. Perry Street at
                                      > Canal Street. It paralleled Canal Street straight to Pleasant Street,
                                      > eaarlier known as Mill Street, then followed Mill Street south and went
                                      back

                                      > into the Cayadutta after emptying into the outlet from Streetere Pond, no
                                      > longer there.
                                      >
                                      > The canal provided water to the mills in that area.
                                      >
                                      > PKL
                                      >

                                      > Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com
                                      http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/

                                    • Glenn J. Williams
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@h...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > [snip
                                        > As an aside because I feel
                                        > like rambling, I was in Concord
                                        > NH Thursday. I stopped by the
                                        > NESRR and saw they have a CR
                                        > GP-10. there was about three
                                        > inches of snow too........

                                        Joe,

                                        You were about a dozen miles south of my house in Penacook. And you
                                        didn't call or stop by (sniff, sniff). . .

                                        What you saw was but the smallest part of the glory that used to be
                                        Concord, at one time the largest rail facility north of Boston. Yes,
                                        even bigger than Portland, Maine. The Concord shops, south of the
                                        overpass where you saw the GP, were enormous and covered both sides
                                        of the main line.

                                        Bob's Photos is currently producing a series of books on railroad
                                        cities, including one on Concord. At $15, it's a bargain and should
                                        be available at the shows he attends.

                                        Glenn
                                      • Stephen G. Myers
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                          Concord, now that was B&M country!!! My favorite kind of place!

                                          Steve

                                          .
                                          .
                                          On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:46:38 -0000 "Glenn J. Williams"
                                          <103424.2304@...> writes:
                                          > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@h...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > > [snip
                                          > > As an aside because I feel
                                          > > like rambling, I was in Concord
                                          > > NH Thursday. I stopped by the
                                          > > NESRR and saw they have a CR
                                          > > GP-10. there was about three
                                          > > inches of snow too........
                                          > >

                                          > Joe,
                                          >
                                          > You were about a dozen miles south of my house in Penacook. And you
                                          >
                                          > didn't call or stop by (sniff, sniff). . .
                                          >
                                          > What you saw was but the smallest part of the glory that used to be
                                          >
                                          > Concord, at one time the largest rail facility north of Boston.
                                          > Yes,
                                          > even bigger than Portland, Maine. The Concord shops, south of the
                                          > overpass where you saw the GP, were enormous and covered both sides
                                          >
                                          > of the main line.
                                          >
                                          > Bob's Photos is currently producing a series of books on railroad
                                          > cities, including one on Concord. At $15, it's a bargain and should
                                          >
                                          > be available at the shows he attends.
                                          >
                                          > Glenn
                                          >

                                          > Visit Gino's Railpage at http://www.fjgrr.com
                                          > http://gcdranet.homelinux.com/
                                          >

                                          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                          Only $9.95 per month!
                                          Visit www.juno.com
                                        • Dick Ryall
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                            My goodness right next to one of my favorite places Nelsonville.....

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                              Nelsonvill is accross the river, a suburb of Cold Spring.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                                Well maybe you could set me straight on the B&M geography. The line through
                                                Concord was the main to Montreal via the CV?

                                                Wel

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 24, 2002
                                                  Act

                                                  >From: "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@...>
                                                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Coal Structure
                                                  >Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:46:38 -0000
                                                  >
                                                  >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@h...>
                                                  >wrote:
                                                  > > [snip
                                                  > > As an aside because I feel
                                                  > > like rambling, I was in Concord
                                                  > > NH Thursday. I stopped by the
                                                  > > NESRR and saw they have a CR
                                                  > > GP-10. there was about three
                                                  > > inches of snow too........
                                                  > >

                                                  >Joe,
                                                  >
                                                  >You were about a dozen miles south of my house in Penacook. And you
                                                  >didn't call or stop by (sniff, sniff). . .
                                                  >
                                                  >What you saw was but the smallest part of the glory that used to be
                                                  >Concord, at one time the largest rail facility north of Boston. Yes,
                                                  >even bigger than Portland, Maine. The Concord shops, south of the
                                                  >overpass where you saw the GP, were enormous and covered both sides
                                                  >of the main line.
                                                  >
                                                  >Bob's Photos is currently producing a series of books on railroad
                                                  >cities, including one on Concord. At $15, it's a bargain and should
                                                  >be available at the shows he attends.
                                                  >
                                                  > Glenn

                                                  ually I had business in Pembrooke. Next time I'll call ahead. But I have a
                                                  question. The fog blew my otherwise reliable sense of direction. The Tower
                                                  that the company headquarteres is in is on the east side of the Interstate ?
                                                  The orientation of the railroad seems exactly backwards of what is shown in
                                                  my Rand McNally RR atlas. Of course the scale is such that small turns in
                                                  the railroad would not be evident.

                                                • Glenn J. Williams
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 25, 2002
                                                    wrote:
                                                    > Well maybe you could set
                                                    > me straight on the B&M
                                                    > geography. The line
                                                    > through Concord was the
                                                    > main to Montreal via the CV?

                                                    There were several lines into and out of Concord on the B&M, all of
                                                    which were separate railroads before being absorbed.

                                                    The mainline from the south was originally the Boston, Concord &
                                                    Montreal, and it continued north thru the Lakes Region to Woodsville,
                                                    where it met the CPR. CPR trains to/from Montreal used this line.
                                                    The line was cut back to just south of Plymouth in 1954, with the
                                                    Pemigewasset branch going to Plymouth and Lincoln.

                                                    From Concord, two other lines continued north. The Northern Railroad
                                                    paralleled wended its way to West Lebanon and thence across the
                                                    Connecticut River into White River Jct. and the interchange with the
                                                    CV. After the Woodsville line was cut back, CPR trains took this
                                                    routing until their abandonment. This line was sold to the State of
                                                    New Hampshire a few years back and railbanked. It is the route
                                                    proposed for the high speed service projected between Montreal and
                                                    Boston.

                                                    The second line north was the Concord & Claremont line, famed for its
                                                    covered bridges and mighty Moguls. It twisted and turned its
                                                    circuitous way to Newport, Claremont, and then Claremont Jct., where
                                                    it met the Connecticut River line of the B&M. Abandonment proceeded
                                                    west from Concord, beginning in the early 1960s.

                                                    There is much more to tell, but supper is ready. . .

                                                    Glenn