Re: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

  • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 29, 2000
      Thanks for posting the picts Paul!

      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 29, 2000
        Paul,

        Thanks for posting these.

        Speaking of '88, I remember when the trackmobile came in '88 to take the
        boxcars away. I have the entire engineering report on this job if anyone
        cares to see it. It's quite lengthy but offers some good information on
        what condition the line was in. I have a photocopy (there were no pictures
        anyway; just documents).

        From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
        To: FJG <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
        Date: Tuesday, February 29, 2000 7:56 PM
        Subject: [FJGRailroad] Fonda Photos

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
          No problem Gino, still plenty of space in the file. Have to send a thank
          you to Onelist for increasing the space!

          Paul

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
            Speaking of the Fonda photos, if anyone can ID some of the buildings (eg-the
            place I call the "mill" or the "oil Dealer" must have a real name) I can add
            that to the description for others to know. Just let me know the name and the
            number of the image.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
              Thanks Saul,

              Looks like I'll be doing a few changes!

              Paul

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                Did have a question about #8. Looks to me like this was a foundation for a
                tower, if you look at #2, there appears to be footing for control rods for
                operating switches. Anyone know if there was ever a tower at this location?

                Paul

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                  Aaron, is this something like an inspection of the entire line. If so it
                  would be interesting to compare it with some of the inspections done by the
                  Railroad Commissioners around the turn of the century.

                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 1, 2000
                    Years ago there was an interlocking plant at the west crossing in Fonda.
                    The tower stood just west of the crossing on the south side. There was a
                    brick tool or oil house there in later years which contained a number of NYC
                    marker lamps among other stuff. The door always seemed to be open. I can't
                    easily put my fingers on a photo of the interior of that tower but they
                    exist, as well as some postcards showing the signal tower and parts of the
                    plant.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                      Those things are still there and I've wondered the same. Taking a guess,
                      I'd say they might have held the control rods from the tower, which stood
                      just a few feet away. There was never a signal bridge there. The signals
                      facing west were originally between the station and the Broadway crossing
                      until a coal train derailed around 1948 and leveled them. Then they moved
                      the signals to right next to the overpass, making the only place on the
                      Chicago Line where east and west signals face each other.

                      The only other thing I could guess these footing braces are would have
                      something to do with the oil tanks which used to be on this side of the
                      tracks back in the 30s and 40s. Not sure how long they stayed there but
                      there were quite a few of the vertical oil tanks on the south side of the
                      tracks here. I have a few pictures at home. I think they say further back
                      from the tracks, though.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                        Paul,

                        When Rome Locomotive Works was hired to do this, they sent a field crew out
                        for the summer. They inspected the line as far as Broadalbin Junction and
                        what I have are their notes of defects in the track that would impair train
                        movement. Things are noted such as heat kinks, asphalt paving over
                        crossings, things thrown on the tracks, vehicles parked on the tracks, and
                        etc.

                        Most of these reports are whole-page hand-drawn checklists noting how each
                        boxcar and piece of equipment on the line was readied for scrapping or
                        removal. This is what interests me the most. All the cars are noted, with
                        reporting marks and numbers; included are the plow and some of the other
                        stuff left kicking around up there. I haven't looked through this in a few
                        years but I do think they left some of the more fun stuff off the list (i.e.
                        I don't think the Swift's Premium reefer they junked in Broadalbin Junction
                        was included in this... nor was the tank car over by Hohenforst's).

                        The railroad really was falling apart big-time and these reports, together
                        with what I remember from the scrapping procedure, will explain most of the
                        engineering defects. You're probably familiar with how the tracks in the
                        Gloversville yard run over the top of the creek... they sank (quite
                        noticeably, probably at least 4") when this scrapping was taking place.

                        From: paul larner <pklarner@...>
                        To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
                        Date: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 10:55 PM

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                          Hi Paul,

                          Thought that's what it was, just never seen the right picture to prove it.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                            Best I can tell from the diagrams is that the westward signal bridge for
                            the interlocking would be east of the west crossing (Broadway) and the
                            eastward signal bridge would have been somewhere near where the DO engine
                            house was built. Crossovers appear to be from south tracks to north tracks
                            for eastward trains. Unfortunately the Sanborn Maps rarely show the trackage
                            accurately, but they do show the buildings. The 1891 set shows the
                            crossovers but the earlier and later sets that I have don't.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                              This does sound interesting. Where would I look to find the originals for
                              copying.

                              Paul

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                                If I can locate a photo or postcard I'll put it up. I was looking at the
                                Sanborn's for this area tonight and the brick building was titled Signal and
                                Car Inspector's Shop. This was an oblong building a bit longer than the
                                signal tower. West of this was a small square structure which I can't
                                identify from the notes.

                                Paul

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                                  Hi Paul,

                                  Wouldn't mind seeing it if you can find it, I'm thinking the rods would have had
                                  to controlled a crossover just to the west of the crossing. Was there one there
                                  at one time?

                                  Paul

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 2, 2000
                                    There was an entire set from the south track to the north track in an
                                    eastward direction. Four crossovers between five tracks. They show on an
                                    1891 copy of the Fonda Sanborn's. The pictures are in Bill Gordon's FJ&G
                                    book, two of them. Both later than 1891, the earlier on doesn't show a
                                    signal bridge, the later one does but has only two signal masts, which
                                    appear not to be home signals.

                                    For those who are following the location of Saul's picture No 118 look in
                                    Dave Nestle's book page 48 (you'll have to count for yourself) top left
                                    corner - there's the tool house in relation to the carhouse. The buildings
                                    appear to be on that stub of a street opposite the Broad street crossing.

                                    PKL

                                  • Glenn Williams
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 15, 2000
                                      Here's some more information on the Fonda pictures posted in the
                                      Files section. Most of the references to owners or occupants are
                                      from the '50s and '60s. By the way, 2000 was the 150th anniversary
                                      of Fonda's founding.

                                      # 1: From the left, NYC Tracks 2 and 1, with blank roadbed where
                                      Track 3 was removed. Track 4 and the yard track are in the center,
                                      with the FJ&G main to the right of the poles. At about this
                                      location, a crossover went from the yard track to Track 4, allowing
                                      NYC locals to regain the main. This crossover was later relocated
                                      closer to the Fonda yard (see picture #34), after SS 16 was closed.
                                      The yard track continued west for some distance, to Spencer's Coal
                                      yard, and was used at that location for dormitory cars during the
                                      construction of the FE (Fonda East) and FW (Fonda West) interlockings
                                      in the early '50s.

                                      # 2: The footings shown were for manually controlling the crossover
                                      mentioned above from the SS 16 tower just behind the photographer.
                                      When SS 16 was moved to the new 2nd story of the Fonda depot, the
                                      crossover was controlled electrically from there.

                                      # 3: From the right of the corrugated enginehouse, the two low
                                      buildings were for the Socony Vacuum (later Socony Mobil and then
                                      just Mobil) plant. The white building at the right is rear of the
                                      Fonda Post Office, built in the early 60's.

                                      # 5: The Fonda P.O. is at the left, with Sarris' Restaurant at the
                                      right, with the turntable site between. The P.O. is on the site of
                                      the building shown in our Files as ICC picture #2.

                                      # 6: From the left - the Central Garage, for years a Chevy dealer-
                                      ship, was white in colour; it was also a Gulf station. Next, a
                                      residence turned into a movie theatre (in the late '40s), with a
                                      Grange Hall on the 2nd floor; subsequently one of Johnny Morford's
                                      antique dealerships. Next, mansard-roofed rooming house. Last,
                                      Fonda Methodist Church.

                                      # 7: Actually, there are three buildings here: Sarris' Restaurant
                                      on the left, the Shell garage in the middle, and the Colonial
                                      Restaurant on the right.

                                      # 8: The market is on the site of the NYC's Fonda depot. For an
                                      earlier picture of this location, see
                                      <http://www.rootsweb.com/~nymontgo/mohawk/fondacards.html>.
                                      Foundation of old SS 16 is in foreground.

                                      # 9: Originally the site of the Hotel Roy, later the Colonial
                                      Restaurant, whose entrance was on the Main Street side. The switch
                                      is where the FJ&G main leaves the yard track. It was a manual switch
                                      not controlled by SS 16.

                                      # 10: From left to right - Central National Bank. The Wagon Wheel,
                                      a soda fountain and newsstand, with a tailor shop over. The hotel
                                      (whose name escapes me) had awnings on the 2nd and 3rd floors; a cab
                                      company later shared the ground floor with the bar and grill. The
                                      one-story building is the Frothingham Free Library, originally in a
                                      taller building destroyed by fire; one of the two buildings
                                      originally here was, I believe, Wyman's Drug Store. The car in the
                                      foreground is where the west leg of the Fonda's line wye ended.

                                      # 11: From left to right in the background - the Corning Davis
                                      Store, whose awning/canopy was not original. See #5, above, for
                                      another view. The Stewart's is located on the site of a small lot
                                      between the Davis building and of a large three-story building (now
                                      the Stewart's parking lot). For years it housed a State Police
                                      substation, the Fonda Post Office, and other businesses I cannot now
                                      recall. See page 110 (top) of Randy Decker's book.

                                      # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a restaurant
                                      on the ground floor. The entrance was much different than that shown.

                                      # 17: This is the rear of one of several business buildings between
                                      the NYC property and the Agway (nee GLF) buildings. These buildings,
                                      including the Agway, were demolished early in '98 and the newest
                                      Fonda P.O. erected on the site.

                                      # 18: The trailer-on-flat-car at the right is on the siding which
                                      served the GLF.

                                      # 19: See #17.

                                      # 23: The gas station behind and to the left of the pickup truck was
                                      originally the site of the Hands' Lunch diner.

                                      # 25: Just behind the Mohawk Valley Democrat building, at the orange
                                      sign, was a smallish structure for the grade crossing guard, there
                                      because of the nearby school.

                                      # 28: The houses were in various stages of disrepair as you go back
                                      in time.

                                      # 32: The red building originally had a store at street level. The
                                      Zion Episcopal Church across the street has been unused since the
                                      early '30s. Freight depot actually was at right edge of picture.

                                      # 34: Gas station and retaining wall were new in the '60s, after the
                                      freight depot burned. The building was leased by the NYC to a
                                      private party, who filled it with wax-covered containers. The fire
                                      took down the Mohawk Division wires on adjacent poles, putting it in
                                      a bit of a fix for a while. See Gino's web site for a partial
                                      picture of the site.

                                      While I have pictures squirreled away for a lot of this, my memory
                                      may be faulty. Let me know of any errors and omissions offline and
                                      I'll repost this list.

                                      Glenn
                                    • Glenn Williams
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                                        --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@c...>
                                        wrote:
                                        > [snip]
                                        >
                                        > # 14: The building on the left was the Mays Hotel, with a
                                        > restaurant on the ground floor. The entrance was much different
                                        than that shown.

                                        > [snip]

                                        Actually, it was "Maze's Hotel". There was an external neon sign,
                                        mounted vertically at a 90 degree angle to the front wall. That I
                                        DON'T have a picture for, so we're working on memory here.

                                        Glenn
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 21, 2000
                                          Hi Glenn,

                                          Thanks for the correction, I'll change my file. Really nice to be able to get this kind of
                                          information.

                                          Paul :-)