Re: ??? About Fonda

  • Peter Sefton
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 14, 2002
      I also remember that there was a big Victorian hotel on the lot that
      is now occupied by a bank trailer in middle of the brick victorian
      stores on Route 5. I think it was called the Hotel Fonda. Around
      1990 I drove down from Northville strictly to have a beer and see
      the inside of the bar, and it had vanished. I went across the street
      to a restaurant that's now demolished and asked the waitress about
      it and she told me I was crazy---no such place ever. Hallucination
      or her practical joke??????????

      There were a couple other Victorian hotels on 5 in Fonda that are
      still standing--Maze's (now a bar) and the Cadillac (fittingly a
      NAPA parts store, no defunct.) I bet these were in bbusiness in the
      days of steam. Anyone tremember them...
    • Glenn J. Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Peter Sefton" <psefton@c...> wrote:
        > I also remember that there was a
        > big Victorian hotel on the lot that
        > is now occupied by a bank trailer
        > in middle of the brick victorian
        > stores on Route 5. I think it was
        > called the Hotel Fonda. Around
        > 1990 I drove down from Northville
        > strictly to have a beer and see
        > the inside of the bar, and it had
        > vanished. I went across the street
        > to a restaurant that's now demolished
        > and asked the waitress about it and
        > she told me I was crazy---no such
        > place ever. Hallucination
        > or her practical joke??????????
        >
        > There were a couple other Victorian
        > hotels on 5 in Fonda that are
        > still standing--Maze's (now a bar)
        > and the Cadillac (fittingly a
        > NAPA parts store, no defunct.) I bet
        > these were in business in the
        > days of steam. Anyone remember them...

        Peter,

        What an interesting set of questions!

        The only hotels I recall in Fonda were on the north side of Main
        Street, east of Broadway.

        The Hotel Brunswick was the third building east of Broadway (first is
        the Central Bank, next the old Wagon Wheel fountain/variety store,
        then the hotel). It had a bar and a restaurant, although how late
        either of them lasted I cannot tell. Back in the 1930s, there was a
        dance hall on an upper floor. A taxi stand operated out of the lobby
        into the 1950s, if not longer. The building still stands today.

        Maze's, as you point out, ended up as a bar; again, I cannot tell you
        when the restaurant or the hotel closed.

        My knowledge of Fonda is by no means encyclopedic, so there could
        well have been other hotels that I know nothing about.

        Glenn
      • Peter Sefton
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002
          > My knowledge of Fonda is by no means encyclopedic, so there could
          > well have been other hotels that I know nothing about.
          >
          > Glenn

          But you're hitting almost 1.000! Naive question: Main Street is NY5
          and Broadway NY30, or is it the other way around?)
        • Glenn J. Williams
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Peter Sefton" <psefton@c...> wrote:
            > [snip]
            > Naive question: Main Street
            > is NY5 and Broadway NY30, or
            > is it the other way around?)

            Peter,

            You *almost* had it! [wicked grin]

            Main Street is NY 5 and, from the railroad overpass at the south end
            of town to Broadway, NY 30A.

            NY 30A comes up from the south and crosses the Mohawk at
            Fultonville. At Broadway, it goes to the left to Johnstown and
            points north.

            You're an old-timer if you can remember when 30A was 148. . .

            Glenn
          • Glenn J. Williams
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002