Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: ??? About Fonda

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 14, 2002
      Well the end of passenger service in Fonda had to be around 1960 when the
      FJ&G ceased thier passenger train.

      >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
      >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: ??? About Fonda
      >Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:06:15 -0000
      >
      >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Peter Sefton" <psefton@c...> wrote:
      >Does anyone know if the old Fonda NY Central Station and Hotel Roy
      >are still standing? And does anyone have a guess when passenger
      >service to Fonda ceased?
      >
      >Peter Sefton
      >
      >Peter,
      >
      >The Hotel Roy burned in the early 1900's (not sure of the date). Not
      >sure if it was rebuilt, and if it was, I don't think the name was
      >used. The NYC passenger station was torn down in the late 1960's (?)
      >to make way for the super market that is now in that location.
      >
      >Passenger service to Fonda, on the NYC, ended in the early 1960's.
      >The FJ&G may have had passenger service to Fonda via trolley until
      >1938, but I think that buses replaced the trolleys in the early
      >1930's. I would guess that steam passenger service to Fonda ended in
      >the 1920's, if not before.
      >
      >Walt

    • Peter Sefton
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 14, 2002
        I also remember that there was a big Victorian hotel on the lot that
        is now occupied by a bank trailer in middle of the brick victorian
        stores on Route 5. I think it was called the Hotel Fonda. Around
        1990 I drove down from Northville strictly to have a beer and see
        the inside of the bar, and it had vanished. I went across the street
        to a restaurant that's now demolished and asked the waitress about
        it and she told me I was crazy---no such place ever. Hallucination
        or her practical joke??????????

        There were a couple other Victorian hotels on 5 in Fonda that are
        still standing--Maze's (now a bar) and the Cadillac (fittingly a
        NAPA parts store, no defunct.) I bet these were in bbusiness in the
        days of steam. Anyone tremember them...
      • Glenn J. Williams
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Peter Sefton" <psefton@c...> wrote:
          > I also remember that there was a
          > big Victorian hotel on the lot that
          > is now occupied by a bank trailer
          > in middle of the brick victorian
          > stores on Route 5. I think it was
          > called the Hotel Fonda. Around
          > 1990 I drove down from Northville
          > strictly to have a beer and see
          > the inside of the bar, and it had
          > vanished. I went across the street
          > to a restaurant that's now demolished
          > and asked the waitress about it and
          > she told me I was crazy---no such
          > place ever. Hallucination
          > or her practical joke??????????
          >
          > There were a couple other Victorian
          > hotels on 5 in Fonda that are
          > still standing--Maze's (now a bar)
          > and the Cadillac (fittingly a
          > NAPA parts store, no defunct.) I bet
          > these were in business in the
          > days of steam. Anyone remember them...

          Peter,

          What an interesting set of questions!

          The only hotels I recall in Fonda were on the north side of Main
          Street, east of Broadway.

          The Hotel Brunswick was the third building east of Broadway (first is
          the Central Bank, next the old Wagon Wheel fountain/variety store,
          then the hotel). It had a bar and a restaurant, although how late
          either of them lasted I cannot tell. Back in the 1930s, there was a
          dance hall on an upper floor. A taxi stand operated out of the lobby
          into the 1950s, if not longer. The building still stands today.

          Maze's, as you point out, ended up as a bar; again, I cannot tell you
          when the restaurant or the hotel closed.

          My knowledge of Fonda is by no means encyclopedic, so there could
          well have been other hotels that I know nothing about.

          Glenn
        • Peter Sefton
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002
            > My knowledge of Fonda is by no means encyclopedic, so there could
            > well have been other hotels that I know nothing about.
            >
            > Glenn

            But you're hitting almost 1.000! Naive question: Main Street is NY5
            and Broadway NY30, or is it the other way around?)
          • Glenn J. Williams
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Peter Sefton" <psefton@c...> wrote:
              > [snip]
              > Naive question: Main Street
              > is NY5 and Broadway NY30, or
              > is it the other way around?)

              Peter,

              You *almost* had it! [wicked grin]

              Main Street is NY 5 and, from the railroad overpass at the south end
              of town to Broadway, NY 30A.

              NY 30A comes up from the south and crosses the Mohawk at
              Fultonville. At Broadway, it goes to the left to Johnstown and
              points north.

              You're an old-timer if you can remember when 30A was 148. . .

              Glenn
            • Glenn J. Williams
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 15, 2002