Vail Mills station location

  • Charles P Woolever
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 1999
      The station is in Perth NY at the intersection of Rt 30 and CR 107.
      As you are heading north and come to the light at the intersection,
      make a right (east) onto 107. It's behind the building at the corner,
      down in the weeds, on the south side of the road.

      Charles
      Charles P. Woolever woolever@...
      http://ny.existingstations.com Existing Stations in NYS
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 1999
        Went over and took a look Sunday afternoon. I hadn't received your message
        yet and came in on the crossroad from Saratoga. Literally came right to it.
        Doesn't that beat all. It IS in tough shape but could be salvaged and
        restored (reconstructed) to it's original configuration. Probably cost more
        than its' 1923 valuation, though.

        I have the phone number of the daughter of the person who used to own it and
        may still. I'm going to see what its' status is and will advise. This is a
        better subject than an ex PC box car to spend money on in my humble
        estimation. It was used as the office for a junk yard.

        Bears a strong resemblance to early gas stations before they had service
        bays.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 1999
          >This is a
          >better subject than an ex PC box car to spend money on in my humble
          >estimation. It was used as the office for a junk yard.

          Don't get me started on that subject!!!

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 31, 1999
            I've heard the story. Irrespective, what's past can never be changed and to
            dwell on it will limit the future. This thing is about the roughest gem
            I've come across. Wish I'd known about it years ago. I also wish I'd made
            those phone calls before I got on here to give you a little bit about it
            from someone I hope can put more light on what when and how much.

            Truthfully it is probably beyond anything but reconstruction. The
            likelyhood of having any of the original wood left after restoration
            appears remote. Essentially I see it as a kit project. Count, measure, then
            cut, shape and assemble from new material.

            If the price is right perhaps I can acquire it and at least get it to a
            better location. It would fit on a flatbed trailer.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 1999
              I found the wheel books from Conductor Fred Bell. I have one book from 1944
              and another from 1957. He was conductor on the Hill crew. In 44 it appears
              they went down early came back to J'town, then back for the rest of the
              cars. I copied one side of a day in 1944 for anyone who may be inerested.
              I'm going to user the scanner for the next stuff I do though. As I said
              once earlier the FJ&G followed the same routine for years at a time. Let's
              see if this works.

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 1999
                A further on the table... it's at the bottom of the page if you're really
                looking for it. Also this crew went back down the hill, arriving at Fonda
                at 12:50 with nine cars. There's no indication of what went down on the
                first southward trip so let's assume they went light. The first trip
                usually arrived at Fonda at 7:50 or thereabouts. The times would represent
                the time the pin was pulled to affect the applicaton of the old hourly per
                diem records.

                PKL