RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G & Knox Field

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
      Malcolm,

      Those details that you share with the us is the exact reason why I started
      this group! As always, thanks for sharing your personal recollections!
      You've witnessed the trolley line and it's operations first hand and I know
      that I can't get enough of it!

      Multiple Thanks!

      Gino

      p.s. Living on East State Street in Gloversville, I found it very hard
      to sleep in late with all that racket going on over at Darling Field!
      Being woken up by train whistles is one thing, JV football crowds is
      another!

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 5, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@m...> wrote:

        ... Judson Zimmer, the president of the FJ&G at that time, was also a
        long term member of the board of education. ...

        Malcolm,

        J. Ledlie Hees was president, actually trustee, of the FJ&G until his
        death on June 28, 1940, at which time Judson Zimmer took over as
        trustee. To quote the statement in the 1940 Annual Report:

        "J. Ledlie Hees who was president of the Company since 1897 and
        Trustee of the Railroad from April 1933, died on June 28, 1940.
        Judson Zimmer who had been for years Chief Engineer and General
        Superintendent was appointed by the Federal Court to succeed Mr.
        Hees."

        Walt
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 5, 2002
          Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
          of where he's laid to rest?

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 6, 2002
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
            Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
            of where he's laid to rest?

            Gino,

            I would guess somewhere near Fonda, his hometown. I'll see what I can
            find out the next time I stop at the old court house.

            Walt
          • Glenn J. Williams
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 6, 2002
              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
              > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
              > Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
              > of where he's laid to rest?
              >
              > Gino,
              >
              > I would guess somewhere near Fonda, his hometown. I'll see what I
              can
              > find out the next time I stop at the old court house.
              >
              > Walt

              If it's in the Evergreen Cemetery and the Old Court House people
              don't know exactly where, the cemetery office (which is just inside
              the fence) should be able to pinpoint it.

              Glenn
            • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 7, 2002
                > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                > Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
                > of where he's laid to rest?
                >
                > Gino,
                >
                > I would guess somewhere near Fonda, his hometown. I'll see what I can
                > find out the next time I stop at the old court house.
                >
                > Walt

                J. Ledlee was from Fonda? Wow, I didn't know that! Yeah, I'd love to visit
                his grave!

                Gino
              • Walt Danylak
                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 7, 2002
                  --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                  If it's in the Evergreen Cemetery and the Old Court House people
                  don't know exactly where, the cemetery office (which is just inside
                  the fence) should be able to pinpoint it.

                  Glenn

                  Glenn & Gino,

                  According to Volker (not sure I spelled his name correctly), J.
                  Ledlie Hees is buried in the Canajoharie Cemetary with the Spraker
                  family. No one seems to know why he is buried with the Spraker's. One
                  possible answer could be that his wife was a Spraker. Paul, do you
                  know, or does anybody know, what J. Ledlie's wife's maiden name was?

                  Walt
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                    Yes he is related to the Spraker's. That's how he got his job at the bank.
                    J. Ledlie's father, Jacob, married the daughter of Daniel Spraker, president
                    of the National Mohawk River Bank.

                    While looking through the pick up I have on the name: his father was a
                    clothier in Fonda and obviously prosperous. In 1881 James L. Hees was
                    appointed teller at the MRB, he was fresh out of school. J. L. married in
                    1883 and was cashier of the bank at that time.

                    Interesting name usage when looking at the directors and officers of the
                    early Cayadutta. Jacob Hees is listed as VP and a director, not Jame
                    Ledlie. J. L. is mentioned after a while and is obviously involved because
                    it is he who is listed as the treasurer. Perhaps J. L. made his ascensions
                    through the business worl on the coat tails and purse of his father and
                    grandfather. Something else for me to explore now. I do not have a good
                    history of Montgomery County so I am unable here to report on the Hees
                    lineage beyond this cursory bit.

                    PKL

                    >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                    >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                    >Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 02:04:12 -0000
                    >
                    >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                    >If it's in the Evergreen Cemetery and the Old Court House people
                    >don't know exactly where, the cemetery office (which is just inside
                    >the fence) should be able to pinpoint it.
                    >
                    >Glenn
                    >
                    >Glenn & Gino,
                    >
                    >According to Volker (not sure I spelled his name correctly), J.
                    >Ledlie Hees is buried in the Canajoharie Cemetary with the Spraker
                    >family. No one seems to know why he is buried with the Spraker's. One
                    >possible answer could be that his wife was a Spraker. Paul, do you
                    >know, or does anybody know, what J. Ledlie's wife's maiden name was?
                    >
                    >Walt

                  • Glenn J. Williams
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                      > [snip]
                      > Something else for me to explore
                      > now. I do not have a good history
                      > of Montgomery County so I am unable
                      > here to report on the Hees
                      > lineage beyond this cursory bit.
                      >
                      > PKL

                      Paul,

                      Chat up the people in the Old Court House in Fonda, across the tracks
                      from the Fonda depot site. A friend doing geneology research in the
                      county swears by them.

                      You may run into the Montgomery County equivalent of The Six Degrees
                      of Kevin Bacon. My mother always maintained we were related to half
                      the county by marriage or blood. I scoffed until she showed me the
                      charts. . .

                      BTW, the Six Degrees is ably described (and spoofed) by Kevin Bacon
                      himself in a VISA television commercial.

                      Glenn
                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                        > Glenn & Gino,
                        >
                        > According to Volker (not sure I spelled his name correctly), J.
                        > Ledlie Hees is buried in the Canajoharie Cemetary with the Spraker
                        > family. No one seems to know why he is buried with the Spraker's. One
                        > possible answer could be that his wife was a Spraker. Paul, do you
                        > know, or does anybody know, what J. Ledlie's wife's maiden name was?
                        >
                        > Walt

                        Walt,

                        Do you know where the Canajoharie Cemetery is?

                        Gino
                      • Glenn J. Williams
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
                          > Walt,
                          >
                          > Do you know where the
                          > Canajoharie Cemetery is?
                          >
                          > Gino

                          Uh, Canajoharie. . .

                          Glenn
                          (who ducks and runs from the room)
                        • Glenn J. Williams
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                            > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
                            > > Walt,
                            > >
                            > > Do you know where the
                            > > Canajoharie Cemetery is?
                            > >
                            > > Gino
                            >
                            > Uh, Canajoharie. . .
                            >
                            > Glenn
                            > (who ducks and runs from the room)

                            Seriously, I think that the Prospect Hill Cemetery, located at 11
                            Ridge Road (on Route 10), is the one we are looking for. According
                            to the web site referencing it, the best place to check with is the
                            County Dept of History and Archives in Fonda.

                            Glenn
                          • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                              > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
                              >> Walt,
                              >>
                              >> Do you know where the
                              >> Canajoharie Cemetery is?
                              >>
                              >> Gino
                              >
                              > Uh, Canajoharie. . .
                              >
                              > Glenn
                              > (who ducks and runs from the room)

                              > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                              Ha Ha Glenn! A more precise location would be nice! Example....Street
                              maybe?

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                Glenn,

                                Montgomery County has one of the best research resources for Mohawk Valley
                                history in the state. Even the folks at the state library suggest checking
                                there for information. Volkert Veeder has always been a personal source of
                                knowledge. He and my father were friends for close to forty years. My
                                first Little Falls and Dolgeville switch key and New York Central wax sealer
                                came from Volkert.

                                The largest regret I have about my present situation is that I arrived back
                                home after my father passed away. He had a vast knowledge of the Valley's
                                history, probably where I picked up my interest in history. It would have
                                been nice to work with him as an adult.

                                PKL

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                  Believe it or not there is a website where you can locate the bodies
                                  (graves). My daughter was always curious about a stone I've had since I was
                                  in high school. She wondered about the person on the stone, family etc.
                                  She did a search and located the grave site and family in the town of Glen.
                                  She wants to repatriate the stone, but the cemetery is one of thaose that
                                  will soon be lost forever except to a few cemetery historians. I got the
                                  stone on Phelps Street in Gloversville and always thought it was from a
                                  little cemetery out that way.

                                  Now that I've led you in this far I have to say I am home, don't know the
                                  web site myself and won't be back until Sunday. If I talk to her I'll try
                                  to remember to get the site name. She found it by searching the name,
                                  because we had no idea the stone came from down in Montgomery county.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002

                                    >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                                    >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                    >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                                    >Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:22:32 -0400
                                    >
                                    >Glenn,
                                    >
                                    >Montgomery County has one of the best research resources for Mohawk Valley
                                    >history in the state. Even the folks at the state library suggest checking
                                    >there for information. Volkert Veeder has always been a personal source of
                                    >knowledge. He and my father were friends for close to forty years. My
                                    >first Little Falls and Dolgeville switch key and New York Central wax
                                    >sealer
                                    >came from Volkert.
                                    >
                                    >The largest regret I have about my present situation is that I arrived back
                                    >home after my father passed away. He had a vast knowledge of the Valley's
                                    >history, probably where I picked up my interest in history. It would have
                                    >been nice to work with him as an adult.
                                    >
                                    >PKL
                                    >

                                    > >From: "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@...>
                                    > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                    > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                                    > >Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 18:04:15 -0000
                                    > >
                                    > >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                                    > > > [snip]
                                    > > > Something else for me to explore
                                    > > > now. I do not have a good history
                                    > > > of Montgomery County so I am unable
                                    > > > here to report on the Hees
                                    > > > lineage beyond this cursory bit.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > PKL
                                    > >
                                    > >Paul,
                                    > >
                                    > >Chat up the people in the Old Court House in Fonda, across the tracks
                                    > >from the Fonda depot site. A friend doing geneology research in the
                                    > >county swears by them.
                                    > >
                                    > >You may run into the Montgomery County equivalent of The Six Degrees
                                    > >of Kevin Bacon. My mother always maintained we were related to half
                                    > >the county by marriage or blood. I scoffed until she showed me the
                                    > >charts. . .
                                    > >
                                    > >BTW, the Six Degrees is ably described (and spoofed) by Kevin Bacon
                                    > >himself in a VISA television commercial.
                                    > >
                                    > > Glenn

                                    You have a Little Falls & Dolgeville switchkey ? Maybe we could pick a
                                    meeting (one that I am able to attend) where people specifically bring
                                    along memorabilia from other Mohawk Valley railroads. I have a Utica and
                                    Mohawk Valley lantern I would love to show off........

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                      Joe,

                                      I think that would be a great idea. I actually have two keys and two brass
                                      heart shaped locks from the road. Interesting story on them. The first key
                                      I knew to be absolutely authentic; I've had it since late fifties or early
                                      sixties. But the locks and 2nd key are recent arrivals and came off eBay in
                                      the past two or three years - and close together timewise and from the
                                      Herkimer area. I think I picked up the second key first. In the photo it
                                      looked as I thought my key looked but it turned out to be a mirror image.
                                      The cut was exactly the opposite. Hmm. Next I get a well marked lock which
                                      takes the second key. Hmmm Hmmm. Next I get the lock that takes the first
                                      key. Apparently the LF&D used two different bits, as did many roads
                                      including the FJ&G, which switch style locks. Among the other stuff coming
                                      out of the Herkimer area at this time was a UI&E switch key as well and
                                      probably some other unique stuff that didn't catch my eye. The UI&E made me
                                      suspicious so I let it go but after thinking on the coincidence with the
                                      LF&D material, I know now I should have bought it.

                                      These items came from different sellers but each was in the same general
                                      locale; nothing like these has turned up since. My guess is that some old
                                      timer had a bit of railroadiana and it either went through general auction
                                      before hitting eBay or a picker got into it and was peddling it to dealers.

                                      Have not yet seen a lantern from the LF&D, but they surely had them, though
                                      whether or not marked is the $640. question. I have seen one other U&MV
                                      tall globe lamp. At the time it was owned by Cal Buhlman (SP) When his
                                      collection hits the market, there will be plenty of everything for everyone
                                      who wants.

                                      If you have seen the RR Auction Co auction ending this Sunday, a bunch of
                                      the stuff, lanterns, locks, sealers and passes toward the rear is from my
                                      accumulation.

                                      PKL

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                        I h

                                        >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                                        >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                        >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                                        >Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:35:37 -0400
                                        >
                                        >Joe,
                                        >
                                        >I think that would be a great idea. I actually have two keys and two brass
                                        >heart shaped locks from the road. Interesting story on them. The first
                                        >key
                                        >I knew to be absolutely authentic; I've had it since late fifties or early
                                        >sixties. But the locks and 2nd key are recent arrivals and came off eBay
                                        >in
                                        >the past two or three years - and close together timewise and from the
                                        >Herkimer area. I think I picked up the second key first. In the photo it
                                        >looked as I thought my key looked but it turned out to be a mirror image.
                                        >The cut was exactly the opposite. Hmm. Next I get a well marked lock
                                        >which
                                        >takes the second key. Hmmm Hmmm. Next I get the lock that takes the
                                        >first
                                        >key. Apparently the LF&D used two different bits, as did many roads
                                        >including the FJ&G, which switch style locks. Among the other stuff coming
                                        >out of the Herkimer area at this time was a UI&E switch key as well and
                                        >probably some other unique stuff that didn't catch my eye. The UI&E made
                                        >me
                                        >suspicious so I let it go but after thinking on the coincidence with the
                                        >LF&D material, I know now I should have bought it.
                                        >
                                        >These items came from different sellers but each was in the same general
                                        >locale; nothing like these has turned up since. My guess is that some old
                                        >timer had a bit of railroadiana and it either went through general auction
                                        >before hitting eBay or a picker got into it and was peddling it to dealers.
                                        >
                                        >Have not yet seen a lantern from the LF&D, but they surely had them, though
                                        >whether or not marked is the $640. question. I have seen one other U&MV
                                        >tall globe lamp. At the time it was owned by Cal Buhlman (SP) When his
                                        >collection hits the market, there will be plenty of everything for everyone
                                        >who wants.
                                        >
                                        >If you have seen the RR Auction Co auction ending this Sunday, a bunch of
                                        >the stuff, lanterns, locks, sealers and passes toward the rear is from my
                                        >accumulation.
                                        >
                                        >PKL
                                        >

                                        > >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@hotmail.

                                        >Visit Gino's Railpage, Now at http://www.fjgrr.com
                                        >
                                        >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation At
                                        >http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/
                                        >
                                        >Visit The Site For Existing Railroad Stations
                                        >in New York State at
                                        >http://ny.existingstations.com/

                                        ave not seen that auction. Is it electronic?