Re: Maps

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 29, 1999
      Conductor's logs from the '50's would be great. Sure answer a lot of
      questions. Curious to see if the FJ&G ever ran "unit coal trains" (five or six
      cars long that is!!!).

      Paul

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 29, 1999
        Hello Everyone,

        Now that I'm in college, I can FINALLY reply "to the list." Thanks for the
        patience before hand.

        My email setup is weird in college in that I can receive/send while I'm in
        college, but can only receive from this account while at home.

        And, there is no reason to subscribe to mailing lists using my home address
        because I can't check that address from college.

        Just wanted to throw in a fact regarding automobile unloading. Someone who
        grew up in the Northville area, whose parents owned a garage in Northville,
        said that new cars were unloaded from boxcars before the ramp and autorack
        was invented. Same person said the dealer unloaded them in Fonda and drove
        them to Gloversville and Northville, rather than have FJ&G take them the few
        miles up the hill.

        -Aaron Keller
      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 1999
          Good luck at SU Aaron!

          --
          Gino DiCarlo

          http://www.capital.net/users/~dicarlos

          ----------

        • jonathan_bunker@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12, 2001
            Hey does anyone know where I can find an accurate or relatively
            accurate map of the FJ&G preferably from around the turn of the
            century?
            -Jonathan
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 12, 2001
              What type of "map" would you be looking for? i.e. topographical, valuation
              or yard and side track layouts?

              The railroad location hadn't change significantly since 1910 so almost any
              map after that period up to the late fifties would be the same as at 1905.
              Re: the trolley and Northville lines those were gone in the late thirties
              but are carried on many of he topo maps into the fifties. One of our group
              suggested a source for topo info on line but I can't recall the site; I'm
              sure a simple search would help you find it. If you need something specific
              I could possibly scan and forward it to you.

              Sanborn maps are really not good for tracks and don't carry trolley routes.
              The various atlases published through the years carry excellent maps and can
              be found at libraries or perhaps on line. Scanning one of the atlases is not
              possible, but at the state library they have much Fulton and Montgomery
              county stuff on microfilm that can be copied for a dime.

              PKL

              >From: jonathan_bunker@...
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Maps
              >Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:52:22 -0000
              >
              >Hey does anyone know where I can find an accurate or relatively
              >accurate map of the FJ&G preferably from around the turn of the
              >century?
              > -Jonathan

            • Glenn Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 12, 2001
                --- In FJGRailroad@e..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                > [snip]
                > One of our group suggested a source for topo info on line but I
                > can't recall the site; I'm sure a simple search would help you find
                >it.
                > [snip]

                Uh, well, that would be my cue, Jonathan. Go to TopoZone.com, enter
                Fonda, NY, as a destination and go from there. My original message
                is number 1642, which you can find in the Messages list and has more
                details.

                Reading through the messages list will be a good introduction to the
                group and bring you up to speed on what we've chewed over. I still
                refer back to them to refresh my memory on some point or other.

                If you've signed up at as Yahoo member, you will be able to go
                through the Files and Links sections. And, of course, there's Gino's
                website.

                Welcome to the group.

                Glenn
              • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13, 2001
                  YEP! what Paul said!!
                  > What type of "map" would you be looking for? i.e. topographical,
                  valuation
                  > or yard and side track layouts?
                  >
                  > The railroad location hadn't change significantly since 1910 so almost any
                  > map after that period up to the late fifties would be the same as at 1905.
                  > Re: the trolley and Northville lines those were gone in the late thirties
                  > but are carried on many of he topo maps into the fifties. One of our
                  group
                  > suggested a source for topo info on line but I can't recall the site; I'm
                  > sure a simple search would help you find it. If you need something
                  specific
                  > I could possibly scan and forward it to you.
                  >
                  > Sanborn maps are really not good for tracks and don't carry trolley
                  routes.
                  > The various atlases published through the years carry excellent maps and
                  can
                  > be found at libraries or perhaps on line. Scanning one of the atlases is
                  not
                  > possible, but at the state library they have much Fulton and Montgomery
                  > county stuff on microfilm that can be copied for a dime.
                  >

                  > PKL
                  >

                  > >From: jonathan_bunker@...
                  > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Maps
                  > >Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:52:22 -0000
                  > >
                  > >Hey does anyone know where I can find an accurate or relatively
                  > >accurate map of the FJ&G preferably from around the turn of the
                  > >century?
                  > > -Jonathan

                  http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                • Dean R. Pausley
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 15, 2001
                    Takes a while to wade through and decipher, but the collection is neat. Has
                    a complete section on Transportation and Railroads.

                    http://www.garlic.com/~kpranger/maps.htm

                    Best Regards,
                    Dean Pausley
                    dpausle1@...