RE: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G Fringe Benefits

    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 2, 2002
      Great story Malcolm! I like the part about the fans tooting the
      trolley horn! It seems to me that sport fans haven't changed in
      100 years! I too lay on my car horn before and after an NFL football
      game! I don't suppose the rowdy fans ever over turned a trolley
      after their team won the big game?

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 3, 2002
        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@m...> wrote:
        > [snip
        > These cars would take us out to Glebe Street in Johnstown where the
        game would be played on the Knox field. There was standing room only
        on these trolleys and no toll was charged.
        > [snip]
        > Malcolm Horton

        Malcolm,

        Am I correct in assuming that these movements were via the Back Line?

        My father and grandmother told me that when Knox Field was proposed,
        it was to be a full stadium. However, the FJ&G wouldn't sell or
        relocate the ROW of the Back Line, which the Knox family would have
        financed. The line was at the far east end of the field, giving the
        field its current half-bowl shape.

        My father knew the Knox family, so I am confident that the basic
        facts are true.

        Glenn
      • Malcolm Horton
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 3, 2002
          These trolley movements were via the regular route thru downtown Johnstown, not via the seldom used "back line". I don't recall ever having a ride on the "back line" crossing East Main Street. Of course the regular route to Johnstown did use that part of the back line between Gloversville and Miller Street in Johnstown but then turned into Miller street to enter Johnstown.

          Malcolm Horton

          > These cars would take us out to Glebe Street in Johnstown where the
          game would be played on the Knox field. There was standing room only
          on these trolleys and no toll was charged.
          > [snip]
          > Malcolm Horton

          Malcolm,

          Am I correct in assuming that these movements were via the Back Line?

          My father and grandmother told me that when Knox Field was proposed,
          it was to be a full stadium.  However, the FJ&G wouldn't sell or
          relocate the ROW of the Back Line, which the Knox family would have
          financed.  The line was at the far east end of the field, giving the
          field its current half-bowl shape.

          My father knew the Knox family, so I am confident that the basic
          facts are true.

               Glenn

          Sell a Home with Ease!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/SrPZMC/kTmEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

          in New York State at
          http://ny.existingstations.com/

          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
            >From: "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@...>
            >To: "FJ&G Yahoogroups" <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] FJ&G & Knox Field
            >Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:04:07 -0400
            >
            >These trolley movements were via the regular route thru downtown Johnstown,
            >not via the seldom used "back line". I don't recall ever having a ride on
            >the "back line" crossing East Main Street. Of course the regular route to
            >Johnstown did use that part of the back line between Gloversville and
            >Miller Street in Johnstown but then turned into Miller street to enter
            >Johnstown.
            >
            >Malcolm Horton

            Glenn, that'a a true story about the Knox field. THe Knox family offered
            the FJ&G more than a sufficient amount to remove the very seldom if ever
            used tracks but they refused and caboshed the plans for Johnstown's athletic
            field, or at least curbed them. Not more than a few years later the
            Johnstown folks were gloating when the FJ&G now removed the tracks at their
            expense, when they could have had the money and a lot of goodwill had they
            taken the Knox offer of a few years earlier. I'll see if I can put my
            fingers on the articals.

          • Malcolm Horton
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
              To All;

              I am quite sure that my ride on the trolley to Knox Field occurred in the fall of 1937. I was still in Estee Jr. High School but I was large for my age and played the trumpet. The High School band needed my services so I played in their band. The band had to attend the football game to pep up the players etc.

              I wonder if the FJ&G (and possibly some of their motormen) furnished the free trolley service as a pay-back for all of the free football games the FJ&G employees watched from the tops of the locomotive and cars next to the Darling Field in Gloversville. Judson Zimmer, the president of the FJ&G at that time, was also a long term member of the board of education. He usually handed out the diplomas at the high school graduation exercises.

              Malcolm Horton

              >These trolley movements were via the regular route thru downtown Johnstown,
              >not via the seldom used "back line". I don't recall ever having a ride on
              >the "back line" crossing East Main Street. Of course the regular route to
              >Johnstown did use that part of the back line between Gloversville and
              >Miller Street in Johnstown but then turned into Miller street to enter
              >Johnstown.
              >
              >Malcolm Horton

              Sell a Home for Top $
              http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/DmVolB/TM

              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 4, 2002
                Malcolm,

                Those details that you share with the us is the exact reason why I started
                this group! As always, thanks for sharing your personal recollections!
                You've witnessed the trolley line and it's operations first hand and I know
                that I can't get enough of it!

                Multiple Thanks!

                Gino

                p.s. Living on East State Street in Gloversville, I found it very hard
                to sleep in late with all that racket going on over at Darling Field!
                Being woken up by train whistles is one thing, JV football crowds is
                another!

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 5, 2002
                  --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Malcolm Horton" <mdhorton@m...> wrote:

                  ... Judson Zimmer, the president of the FJ&G at that time, was also a
                  long term member of the board of education. ...

                  Malcolm,

                  J. Ledlie Hees was president, actually trustee, of the FJ&G until his
                  death on June 28, 1940, at which time Judson Zimmer took over as
                  trustee. To quote the statement in the 1940 Annual Report:

                  "J. Ledlie Hees who was president of the Company since 1897 and
                  Trustee of the Railroad from April 1933, died on June 28, 1940.
                  Judson Zimmer who had been for years Chief Engineer and General
                  Superintendent was appointed by the Federal Court to succeed Mr.
                  Hees."

                  Walt
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 5, 2002
                    Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
                    of where he's laid to rest?

                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 6, 2002
                      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                      Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
                      of where he's laid to rest?

                      Gino,

                      I would guess somewhere near Fonda, his hometown. I'll see what I can
                      find out the next time I stop at the old court house.

                      Walt
                    • Glenn J. Williams
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 6, 2002
                        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
                        > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                        > Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
                        > of where he's laid to rest?
                        >
                        > Gino,
                        >
                        > I would guess somewhere near Fonda, his hometown. I'll see what I
                        can
                        > find out the next time I stop at the old court house.
                        >
                        > Walt

                        If it's in the Evergreen Cemetery and the Old Court House people
                        don't know exactly where, the cemetery office (which is just inside
                        the fence) should be able to pinpoint it.

                        Glenn
                      • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 7, 2002
                          > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Dicarlo, Gino" <Gino.Dicarlo@q...> wrote:
                          > Hey Walt, I always wondered when J Ledlee passed away! Any idea
                          > of where he's laid to rest?
                          >
                          > Gino,
                          >
                          > I would guess somewhere near Fonda, his hometown. I'll see what I can
                          > find out the next time I stop at the old court house.
                          >
                          > Walt

                          J. Ledlee was from Fonda? Wow, I didn't know that! Yeah, I'd love to visit
                          his grave!

                          Gino
                        • Walt Danylak
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 7, 2002
                            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                            If it's in the Evergreen Cemetery and the Old Court House people
                            don't know exactly where, the cemetery office (which is just inside
                            the fence) should be able to pinpoint it.

                            Glenn

                            Glenn & Gino,

                            According to Volker (not sure I spelled his name correctly), J.
                            Ledlie Hees is buried in the Canajoharie Cemetary with the Spraker
                            family. No one seems to know why he is buried with the Spraker's. One
                            possible answer could be that his wife was a Spraker. Paul, do you
                            know, or does anybody know, what J. Ledlie's wife's maiden name was?

                            Walt
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                              Yes he is related to the Spraker's. That's how he got his job at the bank.
                              J. Ledlie's father, Jacob, married the daughter of Daniel Spraker, president
                              of the National Mohawk River Bank.

                              While looking through the pick up I have on the name: his father was a
                              clothier in Fonda and obviously prosperous. In 1881 James L. Hees was
                              appointed teller at the MRB, he was fresh out of school. J. L. married in
                              1883 and was cashier of the bank at that time.

                              Interesting name usage when looking at the directors and officers of the
                              early Cayadutta. Jacob Hees is listed as VP and a director, not Jame
                              Ledlie. J. L. is mentioned after a while and is obviously involved because
                              it is he who is listed as the treasurer. Perhaps J. L. made his ascensions
                              through the business worl on the coat tails and purse of his father and
                              grandfather. Something else for me to explore now. I do not have a good
                              history of Montgomery County so I am unable here to report on the Hees
                              lineage beyond this cursory bit.

                              PKL

                              >From: "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@...>
                              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                              >Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 02:04:12 -0000
                              >
                              >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                              >If it's in the Evergreen Cemetery and the Old Court House people
                              >don't know exactly where, the cemetery office (which is just inside
                              >the fence) should be able to pinpoint it.
                              >
                              >Glenn
                              >
                              >Glenn & Gino,
                              >
                              >According to Volker (not sure I spelled his name correctly), J.
                              >Ledlie Hees is buried in the Canajoharie Cemetary with the Spraker
                              >family. No one seems to know why he is buried with the Spraker's. One
                              >possible answer could be that his wife was a Spraker. Paul, do you
                              >know, or does anybody know, what J. Ledlie's wife's maiden name was?
                              >
                              >Walt

                            • Glenn J. Williams
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                                --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                                > [snip]
                                > Something else for me to explore
                                > now. I do not have a good history
                                > of Montgomery County so I am unable
                                > here to report on the Hees
                                > lineage beyond this cursory bit.
                                >
                                > PKL

                                Paul,

                                Chat up the people in the Old Court House in Fonda, across the tracks
                                from the Fonda depot site. A friend doing geneology research in the
                                county swears by them.

                                You may run into the Montgomery County equivalent of The Six Degrees
                                of Kevin Bacon. My mother always maintained we were related to half
                                the county by marriage or blood. I scoffed until she showed me the
                                charts. . .

                                BTW, the Six Degrees is ably described (and spoofed) by Kevin Bacon
                                himself in a VISA television commercial.

                                Glenn
                              • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                                  > Glenn & Gino,
                                  >
                                  > According to Volker (not sure I spelled his name correctly), J.
                                  > Ledlie Hees is buried in the Canajoharie Cemetary with the Spraker
                                  > family. No one seems to know why he is buried with the Spraker's. One
                                  > possible answer could be that his wife was a Spraker. Paul, do you
                                  > know, or does anybody know, what J. Ledlie's wife's maiden name was?
                                  >
                                  > Walt

                                  Walt,

                                  Do you know where the Canajoharie Cemetery is?

                                  Gino
                                • Glenn J. Williams
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                                    --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
                                    > Walt,
                                    >
                                    > Do you know where the
                                    > Canajoharie Cemetery is?
                                    >
                                    > Gino

                                    Uh, Canajoharie. . .

                                    Glenn
                                    (who ducks and runs from the room)
                                  • Glenn J. Williams
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                                      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@c...> wrote:
                                      > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
                                      > > Walt,
                                      > >
                                      > > Do you know where the
                                      > > Canajoharie Cemetery is?
                                      > >
                                      > > Gino
                                      >
                                      > Uh, Canajoharie. . .
                                      >
                                      > Glenn
                                      > (who ducks and runs from the room)

                                      Seriously, I think that the Prospect Hill Cemetery, located at 11
                                      Ridge Road (on Route 10), is the one we are looking for. According
                                      to the web site referencing it, the best place to check with is the
                                      County Dept of History and Archives in Fonda.

                                      Glenn
                                    • Gino & Kelly DiCarlo
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 8, 2002
                                        > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., Gino & Kelly DiCarlo <dicarlos@l...> wrote:
                                        >> Walt,
                                        >>
                                        >> Do you know where the
                                        >> Canajoharie Cemetery is?
                                        >>
                                        >> Gino
                                        >
                                        > Uh, Canajoharie. . .
                                        >
                                        > Glenn
                                        > (who ducks and runs from the room)

                                        > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                                        Ha Ha Glenn! A more precise location would be nice! Example....Street
                                        maybe?

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                          Glenn,

                                          Montgomery County has one of the best research resources for Mohawk Valley
                                          history in the state. Even the folks at the state library suggest checking
                                          there for information. Volkert Veeder has always been a personal source of
                                          knowledge. He and my father were friends for close to forty years. My
                                          first Little Falls and Dolgeville switch key and New York Central wax sealer
                                          came from Volkert.

                                          The largest regret I have about my present situation is that I arrived back
                                          home after my father passed away. He had a vast knowledge of the Valley's
                                          history, probably where I picked up my interest in history. It would have
                                          been nice to work with him as an adult.

                                          PKL

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                            Believe it or not there is a website where you can locate the bodies
                                            (graves). My daughter was always curious about a stone I've had since I was
                                            in high school. She wondered about the person on the stone, family etc.
                                            She did a search and located the grave site and family in the town of Glen.
                                            She wants to repatriate the stone, but the cemetery is one of thaose that
                                            will soon be lost forever except to a few cemetery historians. I got the
                                            stone on Phelps Street in Gloversville and always thought it was from a
                                            little cemetery out that way.

                                            Now that I've led you in this far I have to say I am home, don't know the
                                            web site myself and won't be back until Sunday. If I talk to her I'll try
                                            to remember to get the site name. She found it by searching the name,
                                            because we had no idea the stone came from down in Montgomery county.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002

                                              >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                                              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                                              >Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:22:32 -0400
                                              >
                                              >Glenn,
                                              >
                                              >Montgomery County has one of the best research resources for Mohawk Valley
                                              >history in the state. Even the folks at the state library suggest checking
                                              >there for information. Volkert Veeder has always been a personal source of
                                              >knowledge. He and my father were friends for close to forty years. My
                                              >first Little Falls and Dolgeville switch key and New York Central wax
                                              >sealer
                                              >came from Volkert.
                                              >
                                              >The largest regret I have about my present situation is that I arrived back
                                              >home after my father passed away. He had a vast knowledge of the Valley's
                                              >history, probably where I picked up my interest in history. It would have
                                              >been nice to work with him as an adult.
                                              >
                                              >PKL
                                              >

                                              > >From: "Glenn J. Williams" <103424.2304@...>
                                              > >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                              > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                                              > >Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 18:04:15 -0000
                                              > >
                                              > >--- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                                              > > > [snip]
                                              > > > Something else for me to explore
                                              > > > now. I do not have a good history
                                              > > > of Montgomery County so I am unable
                                              > > > here to report on the Hees
                                              > > > lineage beyond this cursory bit.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > PKL
                                              > >
                                              > >Paul,
                                              > >
                                              > >Chat up the people in the Old Court House in Fonda, across the tracks
                                              > >from the Fonda depot site. A friend doing geneology research in the
                                              > >county swears by them.
                                              > >
                                              > >You may run into the Montgomery County equivalent of The Six Degrees
                                              > >of Kevin Bacon. My mother always maintained we were related to half
                                              > >the county by marriage or blood. I scoffed until she showed me the
                                              > >charts. . .
                                              > >
                                              > >BTW, the Six Degrees is ably described (and spoofed) by Kevin Bacon
                                              > >himself in a VISA television commercial.
                                              > >
                                              > > Glenn

                                              You have a Little Falls & Dolgeville switchkey ? Maybe we could pick a
                                              meeting (one that I am able to attend) where people specifically bring
                                              along memorabilia from other Mohawk Valley railroads. I have a Utica and
                                              Mohawk Valley lantern I would love to show off........

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                                Joe,

                                                I think that would be a great idea. I actually have two keys and two brass
                                                heart shaped locks from the road. Interesting story on them. The first key
                                                I knew to be absolutely authentic; I've had it since late fifties or early
                                                sixties. But the locks and 2nd key are recent arrivals and came off eBay in
                                                the past two or three years - and close together timewise and from the
                                                Herkimer area. I think I picked up the second key first. In the photo it
                                                looked as I thought my key looked but it turned out to be a mirror image.
                                                The cut was exactly the opposite. Hmm. Next I get a well marked lock which
                                                takes the second key. Hmmm Hmmm. Next I get the lock that takes the first
                                                key. Apparently the LF&D used two different bits, as did many roads
                                                including the FJ&G, which switch style locks. Among the other stuff coming
                                                out of the Herkimer area at this time was a UI&E switch key as well and
                                                probably some other unique stuff that didn't catch my eye. The UI&E made me
                                                suspicious so I let it go but after thinking on the coincidence with the
                                                LF&D material, I know now I should have bought it.

                                                These items came from different sellers but each was in the same general
                                                locale; nothing like these has turned up since. My guess is that some old
                                                timer had a bit of railroadiana and it either went through general auction
                                                before hitting eBay or a picker got into it and was peddling it to dealers.

                                                Have not yet seen a lantern from the LF&D, but they surely had them, though
                                                whether or not marked is the $640. question. I have seen one other U&MV
                                                tall globe lamp. At the time it was owned by Cal Buhlman (SP) When his
                                                collection hits the market, there will be plenty of everything for everyone
                                                who wants.

                                                If you have seen the RR Auction Co auction ending this Sunday, a bunch of
                                                the stuff, lanterns, locks, sealers and passes toward the rear is from my
                                                accumulation.

                                                PKL

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Oct 10, 2002
                                                  I h

                                                  >From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
                                                  >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
                                                  >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: J. Ledlie Hees
                                                  >Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:35:37 -0400
                                                  >
                                                  >Joe,
                                                  >
                                                  >I think that would be a great idea. I actually have two keys and two brass
                                                  >heart shaped locks from the road. Interesting story on them. The first
                                                  >key
                                                  >I knew to be absolutely authentic; I've had it since late fifties or early
                                                  >sixties. But the locks and 2nd key are recent arrivals and came off eBay
                                                  >in
                                                  >the past two or three years - and close together timewise and from the
                                                  >Herkimer area. I think I picked up the second key first. In the photo it
                                                  >looked as I thought my key looked but it turned out to be a mirror image.
                                                  >The cut was exactly the opposite. Hmm. Next I get a well marked lock
                                                  >which
                                                  >takes the second key. Hmmm Hmmm. Next I get the lock that takes the
                                                  >first
                                                  >key. Apparently the LF&D used two different bits, as did many roads
                                                  >including the FJ&G, which switch style locks. Among the other stuff coming
                                                  >out of the Herkimer area at this time was a UI&E switch key as well and
                                                  >probably some other unique stuff that didn't catch my eye. The UI&E made
                                                  >me
                                                  >suspicious so I let it go but after thinking on the coincidence with the
                                                  >LF&D material, I know now I should have bought it.
                                                  >
                                                  >These items came from different sellers but each was in the same general
                                                  >locale; nothing like these has turned up since. My guess is that some old
                                                  >timer had a bit of railroadiana and it either went through general auction
                                                  >before hitting eBay or a picker got into it and was peddling it to dealers.
                                                  >
                                                  >Have not yet seen a lantern from the LF&D, but they surely had them, though
                                                  >whether or not marked is the $640. question. I have seen one other U&MV
                                                  >tall globe lamp. At the time it was owned by Cal Buhlman (SP) When his
                                                  >collection hits the market, there will be plenty of everything for everyone
                                                  >who wants.
                                                  >
                                                  >If you have seen the RR Auction Co auction ending this Sunday, a bunch of
                                                  >the stuff, lanterns, locks, sealers and passes toward the rear is from my
                                                  >accumulation.
                                                  >
                                                  >PKL
                                                  >

                                                  > >From: "joseph Klapkowski" <riverlinejoe@hotmail.

                                                  >Visit Gino's Railpage, Now at http://www.fjgrr.com
                                                  >
                                                  >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation At
                                                  >http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/
                                                  >
                                                  >Visit The Site For Existing Railroad Stations
                                                  >in New York State at
                                                  >http://ny.existingstations.com/

                                                  ave not seen that auction. Is it electronic?